New Deadlift PR for Me!

I know its pretty light weight for most of you but Im pretty new to powerlifting and I have been wanting to pull over 400 for a while. I just 406 on Friday. I am doing starting strength right now and I finished up with my deadlifts (350x5) and decided to see if I could set a new 1 RM.

My old 1 RM was 365…so I was pretty excited. I just needed to tell some people who understand what its like to hit that new PR.

Here’s a crappy video taken from my friends cell phone. Any critique on my form?

I couldn’t get the volume to work on the video shown above so I posted the youtube link so you can hear it.

Congrats! A 35lb PR is great!!

Claire

Well done, actually looked like you had a bit more in you!

Congrats. May help to get your butt down a little lower at the start. Happy Pullin.

Good job, man. I agree that if you get your hips lower at the beginning, you will put less stress on your back and will certainly pull more.

You can definitely pull more than 405. It looked pretty easy.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to lower my hips a little and see how it feels. I wasn’t planning to test my 1RM that day…it was spur of the moment. I was using kg plates so it came out to 406 but I think you guys are right.

I bet I could pull more…after I did that I told my friend I should have done it for a double. lol.

Guy your height and weight should be pulling atleast 455 without too much difficulty.

Give it a month, I think youll see very very rapid gains as you get used to the lift.

I think I could have pulled more and now that I’ve broken the 400lb mark (a lot of it was mental I think) I bet I will keep seeing big improvements.

495 is my new goal.

good pull brother, definitely sink your hips a little more, you had a great setup and it looked like you were going to explode with your hips then they never moved. its kind of like when the sprinter gets in his stance, the gun goes then he stands straight up and starts running. hopefully you can make some sense of that good work though looking strong.

[quote]GetJakdorDieTryn wrote:
good pull brother, definitely sink your hips a little more, you had a great setup and it looked like you were going to explode with your hips then they never moved. its kind of like when the sprinter gets in his stance, the gun goes then he stands straight up and starts running. hopefully you can make some sense of that good work though looking strong. [/quote]

I’m trying to figure out what you’re saying. Are you talking about at the beginning of the pull or after I get it up past my knees?

[quote]Brosekiah wrote:
I know its pretty light weight for most of you but Im pretty new to powerlifting and I have been wanting to pull over 400 for a while. I just 406 on Friday. I am doing starting strength right now and I finished up with my deadlifts (350x5) and decided to see if I could set a new 1 RM.

My old 1 RM was 365…so I was pretty excited. I just needed to tell some people who understand what its like to hit that new PR.

Here’s a crappy video taken from my friends cell phone. Any critique on my form?

I couldn’t get the volume to work on the video shown above so I posted the youtube link so you can hear it. [/quote]

Outstanding my friend…

Why say it’s pretty light? My guess is most guys that post here can’t touch 406. My max is slightly higher than yours but you look like you’ve got more in the tank…

Drop your ass and drive fron your hips. You should be able to pull 450+ in no time.

Well done.

Watch your vid bud. You almost stiff leg’d that pull.

Drop the ass, pull from the heels. If you incorporate your legs, 495 (just read your other post) is just around the corner.

Make sense?

Drop your ass, set back, and keep your arch. You used all back. At 240lbs, 405 should be speed weight.

He could try lifting similar to “sumo” but with the legs just a little more than shoulder width… every once in a while, it really helps if you have trouble using your legs correctly.

Dropping the weight at the end will get you red lighted. Not that its a big deal, but it’s not a good habit, you’d hate to do it out of habit on the platform. Congrats on the new PR.

Remember to explode off the ground, or at least try to. The faster you get the bar moving and keep it moving, the more weight you will be able to blast through your sticking points.

Also, be sure to thrust your hips through more (with your glutes) and push out your chest and abs at the end of the lift. This way, there will be no questioning your lockout. One other thing… you need to be sitting back more to keep the weight on your heels and to prevent the weight from getting in front of you.

You’re ready for some big weight but you need to perfect your technique. Your pull would benefit if you started to thrust your hips forward once you start clearing your knees.

Practice it with an empty bar. get used to the feeling of “exploding forward” without your feet moving. You’ll find it will force your upper body into the finish position sooner which will make for a smoother pull that utilizes your legs AND back at the same time vs turning it into a stiff leg deadlift.

If you master the technique I wouldn’t be surprised if you came back in 6 weeks with 455 on the bar much cleaner than your current lift.

PM me if you have any questions I can help you with…I don’t check the boards often.

Nice.

Nice pull! I agree with most everyone that you must keep your hips down at the start and generate more leg drive. Push those heels through the floor and lean back a bit more. You’re good for a lot more weight once you pefect your technique.