T Nation

New Cleaning Techniqe

trying to relearn the clean. tried lower hip position. thats the lowest i can go. still not able to finish the pull. donno why. frustrated

It looks like you're not sweeping the bar but it's not bad IMO. Don't get too frustrated!

yes. sweep the bar with tight lats. you could also finish the pull a tiny bit more before bending your arms.

Looks good overall,

More sweep = higher contact and you get to keep the bar closer to you during the 2nd pull

The main issue imo is you hang on to the bar too much at the top, once your up GET THE HELL DOWN UNDER THE BAR. Do this with a light weight/ empty bar and see how fast you can do it. You hang on to the bar too much at the top and your elbows turn over slowly.

Looks good overall and when refining your technique it won't happen over night. It'll make many hrs to do to unlearn something but overall your looking good mate!

Koing

I hope this attaches.

Slide 2 of critique.

Slide 3 of critique.

I think you should work on 2 things.

1. Keep your hips low when you break the bar from the ground, not just in the setup.
  2. Pull the bar back towards you, not straight up; this is only possible if you start with your shoulders in front of the bar, not behind it.

See how this guy's legs are still bent as the bar has passed his knees?

Well, when he straightens his legs forcefully, he will be transmitting all that extra force into the bar, along with the force generated by extending his back.

That's what it means to use your legs and back in the clean / snatch. Because your legs straighten so quickly, you are unable to use your legs properly in the clean.

Now do you see what's happening here? The guy pulled the bar BACK into himself. I put the red line to show where you are pulling the bar -- straight up from the ground. You are supposed to be pulling the bar back into yourself.

This diagram shows you how you are supposed to be pulling the bar. You pull it back into yourself, as the line indicates. I hope this all makes sense.

thanks buddy i really appreciate the time you put into this. i will work on it as much as i can
my semester finals are starting soon. so its a good time to work on technique. i really appreciate your help

No problem. Good luck, and I will try to comment on your future videos.

Stick with it! It took me a year to learn to clean properly, and two years to snatch. Some people learn faster than others, but the journey is still worth it.

Really? Self taught no coach?

Koing

Yeah, I never had a coach. I wasn't well-suited to the sport, but I was proud of my ratios. A 140 kilo front squat yielded a 115 snatch and a 130 C&J @ 85. That was about 10 years ago. I'm 38 now and 3 weeks into my comeback doing 65/72.5 as a light 85. Because I am naturally weak, I taught myself to get the most efficiency out of my strength, I think.

My son (who is 3 now) has insane genetics for weightlifting; when he was 2, he had a bone density analysis showing that he had the bone density of a 5-year old, and he was able to jump probably 3-4 inches off the ground when he barely a year old. He already knows the word "snatch" and watches YouTube weightlifting with me. If I can start him young, he will be really amazing, I think. I started when I was 25, which of course is too late to do anything other than amuse yourself.

I would love to get close to my old numbers @ 77 and as a master, but I am anticipating a journey of several years to get there, if I can get there at all. The physical difference between 28 and 38 is huge. Still, weightlifting is really a lifetime sport; I feel a lot better today than I would have if I didn't train at all. I would be weightlifting even if I could only snatch 40. It's the discipline and feel of the movements that one grows to love, regardless of how much weight is on the bar.

i am 23. still very late for the sports. but lets see i will keep at it as long as i can

And delikurt, when you and others keep doing the sport, we also gain the benefit from your knowledge and experience!

I also started pretty late at 26 years old.

It would be wonderful if my son takes up the sport, because then I would be able to start him off the right way from the very beginning. Coaching is a lot of fun! What's great about weightlifting is the feeling of striving for the perfect rep and learning about yourself as you go. It's the most meditative and honest of sports, I think.

On another note, my 3-year old daughter gives me coaching tips and 3-2-1 countdowns for initiating the snatch. She refers to a missed lift as a "broken" lift and a made lift as a "fixed" lift. When my kids were a few months old, I would put them in their car seats at the far end of the garage as I trained, and they were watching closely even then. Not a lot of people are exposed to weightlifting essentially from birth. I really curious to learn whether one or both of my twins will want to lift weights when they are older.

That is cool man. What makes you think you were not suited to the sport? Your natural strength levels?

I started when I was 15, that was 12yrs ago! I had a good coach from the start so I learned the right way. I never had to teach myself from the ground up. Fast forward 6yrs later I do my own programming and coaching. I know enough about lifting to coach myself and others. Been on a few courses to make it 'official' but that isn't much compared to 12yrs of competing and coaching. I coach a few guys on here in real life. I wasn't particularly strong when I started and I'm still not hugely strong considering I've been training for 12yrs. My technique is pretty good but it's coming together. Uncle said my technique is good, I'm fast, good flexibility, good power but my legs are weak LOL. Strength is my limiting factor.

Both my bros lift. Youngest bro has the best benefit of age and experience on his side. We got him down the club at 6 :stuck_out_tongue: but he didn't last as his attention span was poor LOL. Got him back when he was 11 and he's been competing ever since. He's won all the school boy champs each year.

16yrs, 87/111 FS 140kg @ 67kg, but he has been competing for 5yrs now. He has all the tools to become really good, now it's up to him if he really wants to do it. His technique is sharp, he is strong, powerful and flexible. His Jerks were really solid, managed to get from 91 to 111 in 6 competitions without a missed Jerk. Last 2 comps has been mroe patchy. Only making 2 out of 6 Jerks. He was ill in one of them and has lost about 1.9kg of bw so that goes some way to explain it. His front foot doesn't go out far enough when it's on the limit.

Other bro is beasty as well.

Koing

Yes, exactly. I started powerlifting when I was 19. Int took me 6 years to get to a 2x bodyweight squat and DL. I just progressed very slowly and got injured a lot.

In terms of weightlifting, yeah, I'd say strength was my big limiting factor. When I was able to do 115/130 with a 140 FS, my technique was at least as good as a lot of world-class lifters, but I was only half as strong! Strength gains have always come slowly for me. Also, my low back gets injured a lot, and that's bad news for a weightlifter. These days I am foam rolling and, knock on wood, my back feels good.

I think it's great when you train with others in your family, like you're doing. How cool to have training partners who are your brothers! I bet they push each other too.

I'm attaching a pic of my kids and I when they decided they would "help" me snatch. My son was playing around and managed to deadlift the end of the 15 kilo plate, weighing 15 kilos himself. Future world champion??? :slightly_smiling:

I see mate. Cool man.

It's cool training with your bro's.

OxMan, Regieski, JamesVaughn and ninearms also train wtih me. We have a good training atmosphere at the club so it's fun training together.

Koing