New Career: Travel Agent?

I cant rember if I’ve posted this previously, if so than deal with it.

Are there any travel agents here? I am not happy with my job and do not see myself doing it for 45 more years.

I’ve done a little traveling so far(Africe and England.)

Any tips or info?

thanks

I can’t believe you watched Hostel 50 times.

It is a good movie, I guess i have posted this before haha

I did some research earlier this week on becoming a travel agent.
Turns out they pay is a lot less less to slightly more than what I’m making now, with longer hours (i’m a teacher).

There are a couple of commission positions at large companies, where you can earn 70K-100K and up, but since its a commission-based position, the hours are long and therre’s only 3 wks vacation a year- which kinda negates becoming a travel agent if in fact you do want to travel a lot.

Hope that helps

With the ability to book hotel rooms and flights on the internet the tradional travel agent career doesn’t seem to be promising.

I would venture that money could be made by in specialty areas though.

What Zap said is what friends have told me.

Then add things like “Travelocity” and “Orbitz” and it has gotten even tougher. Many of the “direct” connections that they used to have or now available with the click of a mouse.

My understanding is that the key to succeeding is 1) specialization 2) catering to a “high-end” clientele and 3) finding a particular “niche” (like “European Bike Tours” or something).

(Oh…and working hard!)

Good luck!

Mufasa

I cant think of any thing else I want to do with my life. I’m not salying I want to be a travel agent that bad, just dont knwo what else I want to do.

4 year colleges are out of the question for now, community college or trade schools are a possibility, First We need a way to pay for this house when I quite my job.

AGHH

You realize you need to know certain computer programs?

[quote]DF85 wrote:

I cant think of any thing else I want to do with my life. I’m not salying I want to be a travel agent that bad, just dont knwo what else I want to do.

4 year colleges are out of the question for now, community college or trade schools are a possibility, First We need a way to pay for this house when I quite my job.

AGHH[/quote]

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
With the ability to book hotel rooms and flights on the internet the tradional travel agent career doesn’t seem to be promising.

I would venture that money could be made by in specialty areas though.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I thought by reading the thread title. I really didn’t know they still had travel agents except for international flights 'n shit. So many of those places go out of business.

Good luck.