T Nation

New Car Suggestions For Cold Climate

Hey guys, I’m looking into buying a new car. Living in a cold weather/snowy climate like Calgary I’m looking at AWD/4WD type vehicles. I’m looking for some suggestions. My budget is about 35 000, looking mostly into crossover SUV’s and things like that.

THANKS

Buy a jet pack.

A sled and a pack of huskies.

I would say a forester or a outback from Subaru. bulletproof reliability and pretty good looking. Or if your feeling crazy a STI. Btw Prof check ur pm, sent ya a question

Oops.

These are pretty reliable and handle well in the snow.

They have the added benefit that you can attack those pesky Quebecian Rebel bases that pop up now and again.

Thread HIJACK initiated

[quote]acuratlman789 wrote:
\ Btw Prof check ur pm, sent ya a question[/quote]

I am seriously not trying to be rude, but some of you guys send me messages that are three pages long and actually expect a response…as if the other 15 dudes didn’t do the same. I would probably be more quick to answer pms if people didn’t act like it is my duty to work for them for free.

Thread HIJACK terminated.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
These are pretty reliable and handle well in the snow.

They have the added benefit that you can attack those pesky Quebecian Rebel bases that pop up now and again.[/quote]

Hey…those are metal camels.

Ain’t that a bitch.

Need more details. Single or family to haul around? Long commute or just around town? Tow or haul much?

In crossovers I really like the Buick Enclave. They are around 35K base price.

I drove a Ford Flex yesterday, very nice and getting rave reviews. The one I drove is the base model, no 4WD and around 29K

Still, I like my GMC Sierra and it fits my needs. Hard to find a better value.

Spend $30k on the vehicle. Then buy really good snow tires and a block heater.

Range Rover

Are you actually IN Calgary? Or in the outskirts where there won’t be much plowing done?

If you’re just in the city, just get a car. Nothing more is necessary.

Just get a 4x4 truck man.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Need more details. Single or family to haul around? Long commute or just around town? Tow or haul much?

I drove a Ford Flex yesterday, very nice and getting rave reviews. The one I drove is the base model, no 4WD and around 29K

Still, I like my GMC Sierra and it fits my needs. Hard to find a better value.[/quote]

I’m single, will be driving about 25 km. each way to school. not really going to be towing much except for the odd occasion but its just a light trailer…

A block heater in Calgary is essential…not even a choice…

[quote]acuratlman789 wrote:
I would say a forester or a outback from Subaru. bulletproof reliability and pretty good looking. Or if your feeling crazy a STI. Btw Prof check ur pm, sent ya a question[/quote]

I second this–I have loved every Subaru I have ever owned. Excellent handling in snow and ice, esp with studded tires.

I have been driving a Mercury Sable the last almost ten years. It handles surprisingly well in the snow and ice. Last winter I had good all season radials on it. The two winters before I had studded snow tires on it. The only difficulties I really had was in my steep driveway in the wilds of the Montana mountains.

But I will replace my Sable, with its 220k miles on it, with a Subaru if I can swing the cost.

Linette

asian lady sold separately.

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Testy1 wrote:

Still, I like my GMC Sierra and it fits my needs. Hard to find a better value.

I’m single, will be driving about 25 km. each way to school. not really going to be towing much except for the odd occasion but its just a light trailer…

[/quote]

Well then, it seems you have no special needs that would entail a lot of internal cargo space, are you looking at the crossover just because of the more car like feel? Personally I prefer the visibility and versatility of a truck, but I know the ride is not for everyone.

I can’t add a lot about the crossovers as I haven’t owned one, but as I said I have been test driving them with my wife for her next vehicle. They all seem very nice but over priced for what they are. $24K extended cab 4x4 truck vs $40K 4wd Acadia.

no it’s not. Depends on how new your car is. I drive a Porsche Cayman for 3 years in Calgary with no block heater. Before that an SLK for 2 years. I think if you run synthetic oil you don’t need one. Regardless, you don’t need a special car for calgary, just winter tires.

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]