T Nation

New Bulk

I'm 25 years old.
Left side 165 lbs January 2014.....right side 180lbs December 2014.

Program started with 3 a weeks. mostly compound 5x5 movements a few isolation. Diet has been pretty "clean" for not counting calories. lot of brown rice, chicken, whole eggs, real yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey, beef, potatoes and pasta etc.. Supplements: Whey gold standard, bcaas, zinc, omegas, multi, 1mg nascent iodine daily, creatine 5g(after original 10-15 "loading" or saturation period).

Recently I've grown tired of the 5x5 3 days a week workouts. Started a new 5 days a week routine. Chest. Back. Shoulders. Arms. Legs. I know that goes against everything "hard gainers" need to do for mass, but it's way more exciting. Love the pump the "burn" the intensity. I also started eating a shit ton more....still not counting calories but still pretty clean diet. Any tips or comments appreciated! Good luck in your gains!!

man… you’re getting a lot wrong here.

First off, it’d be nice to know what kind of progress you made on the 5x5 template. Where did your lifts start, and where are they now? I’ve gotta be honest man, you’ve only gained about half a pound a month over the course of 2 years, and you’re not as lean as when you started. That’s not good progress for anyone, much less a beginner. My guess is that diet is a factor, specifically your macronutrient breakdown. Perhaps it would be wise for you to start counting calories. I doubt you’re getting enough protein.

As for your new routine… who told you 5 days a week is bad for ‘hardgainers’? This is just false. Really, really false.

Train with intensity, eat all the protein. Grow.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
man… you’re getting a lot wrong here.

First off, it’d be nice to know what kind of progress you made on the 5x5 template. Where did your lifts start, and where are they now? I’ve gotta be honest man, you’ve only gained about half a pound a month over the course of 2 years, and you’re not as lean as when you started. That’s not good progress for anyone, much less a beginner. My guess is that diet is a factor, specifically your macronutrient breakdown. Perhaps it would be wise for you to start counting calories. I doubt you’re getting enough protein.

As for your new routine… who told you 5 days a week is bad for ‘hardgainers’? This is just false. Really, really false.

Train with intensity, eat all the protein. Grow.[/quote]

Thanks!
I’m gonna go back and edit the post but I meant to put jan 2014-December 2014…about 11 months! Big mistake, my bad! Also low reps, heavy weight 5x5 programs/compound workouts was all I had read about up until I joined t nation. My newest routine Is a lot more exciting and intense. Pump is way better! and even though I know there’s nothing wrong with 5 days a week NOW…I still have a guilty conscience from the old advice telling me I’m overtraining or burning too many calories. Even though it’s working and I’m starting to look bigger, I’m self doubting…

what are your goals? If your goals are nothing more than aesthetic (as in not strength-related), I see no reason for self-doubt if you’re seeing the results YOU want. If you want to look like a bodybuilder, you train like a bodybuilder. This means a body-part split along the lines of what it sounds like you’re doing now. Sounds fine to me. It sounds to me like you’ve gotten terrible advice in the past. If you don’t feel overtrained, you’re not overtrained. And if you’re burning more calories, eat more. This isn’t rocket science, lol.