T Nation

New Authorization of Worldwide War Without End?

Congress may soon vote on a new declaration of worldwide war without end, and without clear enemies. A “sleeper provision” deep inside defense bills pending before Congress could become the single biggest hand-over of unchecked war authority from Congress to the executive branch in modern American history.

http://www.aclu.org/new-authorization-worldwide-war-without-end

Is the USA becoming the new USSR?

[quote]ephrem wrote:
Congress may soon vote on a new declaration of worldwide war without end, and without clear enemies. A “sleeper provision” deep inside defense bills pending before Congress could become the single biggest hand-over of unchecked war authority from Congress to the executive branch in modern American history.

http://www.aclu.org/new-authorization-worldwide-war-without-end

Is the USA becoming the new USSR?[/quote]

Short answer? No.

Sane interpretation of the provision, as opposed to the ACLU’s ‘wordwide war without end’ stomping on a human face forever crap:

‘The specific language in the bill is found in section 1034 of H.R. 1540, which affirms that the U.S. is ‘engaged in an armed conflict with al Qaeda, the Taliban and associated forces.’ It also affirms that the president has the authority to detain ‘certain belligerents’ until the armed conflict is over.’

Part of how this came about - Allen West asks House Armed Service Committee about the ‘Bombay Boys’ Bicycle Club’:

Obviously i haven’t read the bill so all i can go on is what the article gives me, but i’d be worried about this if i was living in the US.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It concerns us all.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
It concerns us all.[/quote]

Wait…

You mean…

Wars are usually waged outside ones own country?

Ideally, that is.

Glad we cleared that up.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Obviously i haven’t read the bill so all i can go on is what the article gives me, but i’d be worried about this if i was living in the US.[/quote]

Thanks so much for your very kind concern for we Americans.[/quote]

I am not really concerned when it comes to murderers, killers or rapists, it is more about their victims.

If you insist that “you Americans” and your federal government are one and the same entity.

If you truly must put yourself in the same category as Pelosi, Gingrich or Biden, who am I to disagree?

The executive branch has been going to war without approval from congress for quite some time.

If this bill goes through, and if it does allow for the POTUS to deploy the military against US citizens, it won’t be long until a president uses this power.

When that happens, whether i like it or not [and i don’t], the consequences of those actions will reverberate throughout the world, and it won’t be nice.

The people of the US are facing bigger threats against their freedoms from within their country, then from people abroad.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
The executive branch has been going to war without approval from congress for quite some time.
[/quote]

Yes, but not against citizens within the nation’s borders.

Not any more it hasn’t, no.

Inspite of your delusions of grandeur, many nations have huge investments in the US, and as an economic force the US still has enormous clout.

We’ve seen how the US has tried, and succeeded, to strong-arm nations like Sweden, Canada and New Zealand, through diplomatic channels, to make changes in [copyright] policy.

I have every reason to assume that, if these changes go through, everyone will be confronted with the consequences.