New Audioslave

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
My favorite song is definitly “Gasoline.”

Intro gets me hyped whenever I hear it… I really relate to the lyrics (like a lot of stuff of that first cd, it can really be interpereted in some different ways)… The solo is badass… Then the end when he just starts going nuts is awesome as well.

Although “Show me how to live”, “What you are” and “Cochise” are also favorites.[/quote]

Man, “Show Me How to Live” is one of my favorite songs. I only have their first CD, so I can’t comment on their new stuff.

RJ

I LOVED both of audioslaves records. And Im really digging the new song.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
swivel wrote:
i’ve never been a rage fan though, that guy zach sounds like freaking monkey getting raped. i’m also giving thumnbs down to playing rage or sg tunes. who the hell needs to hear kino one more time ? or black hole sun for that matter. i don’t. i dig the new shit. take me somewhere i haven’t been.

I probably would have liked rage if my friend at least tried to listen to something else. I heard rage and sublime so much that I WILL change the station if that crap comes on the radio. Cornell has a unique voice. It is not the same sound produced in Soundgarden, but it just as cool. I just hope they don’t turn like Metallica did.

Alot of you guys are complaining that Audioslave’s sound is crap. The whole idea behind the band was the combination of two different sounds to create a new one. I don’t see them trying to actualy immitate their previous bands, so you can’t compare them to rage or soundgarden.[/quote]

Just because you have a specific goal in mind, whether it is combining two unique sounds into one or something else, doesn’t necessarily make it a good project. To me the result speaks to that, but even before that I didn’t think it would be any good.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

With Rage, I felt like Zach was so incendiary and full of energy that it pushed Tom (and the rest of the band) to keep up. I think Tom had a little bit of an ego and wanted to be the star of the band, but Zach was so vocal and so out there (and such a monster on stage), that Tom had to play his ass off to keep up. With Audioslave, they’re kind of just like, “fuck it, we can just do this to sell.”

Also, what seperated Rage from anything else was just that raw intensity that just grabbed you and wouldn’t let you go. The end of songs like Freedom…[/quote]

The end of Freedom is fucking incredible. It always gives me goose bumps. You bring up some good points here.

I’m going to agree with Swivel though, I thought Out of Exile was superb, superior to their first album which was also great. I think people don’t like it because they keep looking at it from the perspective of “What would Rage do” or “What would Soundgarden do”. I guess those comparisons are inevitable and unavoidable, but as a huge Rage fan I still absolutely love Audioslave and their sound, especially Out of Exile.

“Original Fire” is maybe my least favorite Audioslave song, though. Hopefully it’s not indicative of the rest of the album.

“Tha pen devils set that stage for tha war at home
Locked wit out a wage ya standin’ in tha drop zone
The clockers born starin’ at an empty plate
Momma’s torn hands cover her sunken face
We hungry but them belly full
The structure is set ya neva change it with a ballot pull
In tha ruins there’s a network for tha toxic rock
School yard ta precinct, suburb ta project block
Bosses broke south for new flesh and a factory floor
The remains left chained to the powder war”

Cornell has some good stuff, but he can’t touch Zach as a lyricist…

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
“Tha pen devils set that stage for tha war at home
Locked wit out a wage ya standin’ in tha drop zone
The clockers born starin’ at an empty plate
Momma’s torn hands cover her sunken face
We hungry but them belly full
The structure is set ya neva change it with a ballot pull
In tha ruins there’s a network for tha toxic rock
School yard ta precinct, suburb ta project block
Bosses broke south for new flesh and a factory floor
The remains left chained to the powder war”

Cornell has some good stuff, but he can’t touch Zach as a lyricist…[/quote]

Brilliant lyricist, indeed. The anger that Rage was able to convey will be never be duplicated.

“A mass of promises
Begin to rupture
Like the pockets Of the new world kings
Like swollen stomachs In Appalachia
Like the priest that fucked you
As he whispered holy things
A mass of tears have transform the stones now
Sharpened on suffering
And woven into the slings
Hope lies in the rubble of this rich fortress
Taking today what tomorrow never brings”

Whatever happened to his solo project? There was that one song, “March of Death”?, that got released on the web. I haven’t heard anything about him since, and that was two years ago.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I gotta agree with Blood and Young…

There are a couple songs where it works, but I really feel like they were just kind of like “Ok, Tom’s gonna do a cool intro, then Tim’s gonna come in with the bass line, Chris is gonna sing the first verse, after the second verse (around 2:20 to 2:40), Tom’s gonna bust out a solo and in the meantime Brad’s gonna try not to screw up the song with his mediocre drumming.”

With Rage, I felt like Zach was so incendiary and full of energy that it pushed Tom (and the rest of the band) to keep up. I think Tom had a little bit of an ego and wanted to be the star of the band, but Zach was so vocal and so out there (and such a monster on stage), that Tom had to play his ass off to keep up. With Audioslave, they’re kind of just like, “fuck it, we can just do this to sell.”

Also, what seperated Rage from anything else was just that raw intensity that just grabbed you and wouldn’t let you go. The end of songs like Freedom, Take the Power Back, Wake Up, Guerilla Radio and Bullet in the Head where Zach is screaming his ass off and Tom is just pounding on the guitar. Audioslave just can’t imitate it, although the end of Gasoline is pretty close.[/quote]

Excellent synopsis. You’re spot-on IMO.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Whatever happened to his solo project? There was that one song, “March of Death”?, that got released on the web. I haven’t heard anything about him since, and that was two years ago.
[/quote]

Check out ZDLR.net; although he doesn’t divulge much there really. Last I hear, no kidding, is he was doing wedding gigs with a mariachi-type band. No shit.

I am still anxiously awaiting any solo project he might produce, but I am not holding my breath. Ever hear the stuff he did w/ KRS-One called CIA (Criminals in Action)? I thought that shit would definitely take off. But it only ever produced one song. Same with the stuff he did w/ DJ Shadow. Only one song, and it was never completed / released.

While I love Zach’s stuff, I think we are dealing with a very self-righteous and difficult artistic talent. Tom made allusion to that in several interviews since the break up. Like, RATM albums would always take so long to record because Zach was so difficult (due to his strict discipline). Therefore, I actually kind of doubt we’ll ever hear anything significant (musically) from him again.

Sorry to keep going on here…

On a side note, I always thought Adrock from The Beastie Boys would have been a good replacement had RATM decided to go on. He’s got about the same register, can rap tight, and can scream. Not to mention he has pretty much the same extreme-liberal political views as Zach / RATM. I thought that would have been a cool fit. No way of really knowing now, though.

OK, one more:

http://www.zdlr.net/portal/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=94&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Blasphemers!

Loved Soundgarden, Loved Rage.

Seeing Audioslave for me, was like watching divorced parents get back together. Really, take it for what it’s worth.

IMO

The best original rock in the last 10 years. Easily.

Blood,

Weird that you say that, I was just saying to my friend how nobody besides Zach could’ve been the vocalist for Rage and he was like, “Probably not, but the guy from Beastie Boys would’ve done a decent job.”

If Rage had a reunion concert, I would travel anywhere to go see it, even out of the country.

[quote]Blood is Metal wrote:
Sorry to keep going on here…

On a side note, I always thought Adrock from The Beastie Boys would have been a good replacement had RATM decided to go on. He’s got about the same register, can rap tight, and can scream. Not to mention he has pretty much the same extreme-liberal political views as Zach / RATM. I thought that would have been a cool fit. No way of really knowing now, though.[/quote]

I remember when Rage and the BB were going to tour together, about the age that I started going to concerts. Then one of the BB’s broke his arm, and RATM broke up shortly after. Damn, that would have been an amazing concert.

Anybody here think that Evil Empire is as good, or better than their first one?

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Blood,

Weird that you say that, I was just saying to my friend how nobody besides Zach could’ve been the vocalist for Rage and he was like, “Probably not, but the guy from Beastie Boys would’ve done a decent job.”

If Rage had a reunion concert, I would travel anywhere to go see it, even out of the country.[/quote]

That is interesting. I wonder if they considered him. Or if he even would.

Yeah, I got all excited about that “reunion” post, but was severely let-down. Good to see they appear to still be on speaking terms.

Oh, BTW, here’s more info on that Mariachi-style thing I was talking about.

http://www.zdlr.net/portal/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=90&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

OK, maybe it’s not at weddings, etc, but still…

[quote]YoungElias wrote:
Anybody here think that Evil Empire is as good, or better than their first one?[/quote]

Battle of Los Angelos is actually my favorite. Of course, two months from now I might like EE or RATM better, I change all the time.

I know that Renegades is definitly my LEAST favorite, although I love their covers of “Microphone Fiend” and “Kick out the Jams”.