New Article Question: Program Design

Which of your published programs provide guidance to choose assistance lifts to target weak points in the main lift?

I don’t think there is any, maybe the 91 program has some info on it. But an article on that topic is on my to-do list. In fact I’ll try to work on it today.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m sure that would help a lot of people.

CT

I wan’t to increase pull ups count my current max is 3-4 reps. Haw to add them in this workout schedule? Only on upper body days?

Do them as a frequent strength thing.

Start every workout with 20 pull ups done in as little time as possible. Actually use a clock to measure the time it takes you. The best strategy is NOT to hit failure on any of the mini-sets since it would require too much rest between sets and thus will take you longer. I recommend starting doing mini-sets of 2, resting as little as possible, maybe 15-20 seconds. When doing 2 become really difficult (the 2nd is a grind) extend the rest to 30 seconds. If the 2nd is still a grind move down to sets of 1 with 15-20 seconds of rest.

As you get better and stronger you will be able to do more than 2 for your mini-sets, but be really gradual about it. Use the time it takes you to complete 20 to see if your strategy is adequate. The moderate time goal (8-10 weeks) would be to hit the 20 reps in 2 sets of 10 with about 20 seconds of rest, when that happens you will likely be able to hit 15 good ones in a row.

When you can complete the 20 reps in 2 mini-sets with no more than 30 seconds of rest, but up the rep total to 30. And resume the progression. When you can hit 30 in 2 sets with less than 30 seconds of rest, go back down to 20 but add 15lbs toi your waist and resume the progression

Thank you for this great answer I will definitly try this. Can I perform this pull ups even 3 day in a row?

How would you recommend prioritizing a weak point like delts or upper back using this template? Thank you.

Read the article again: avoid training 3 days in a row. I told you do start each workout with the 20 pull ups
 if you don’t train 3 days in a row it means not doing pull ups 3 days in a row

I’m prioritizing delts myself. I do delt work on both of my pressing days (overhead press & bench press days). On my bench press day I don’t do much direct pectoral work, I do delt work instead.

That’s basically what I do now actually. How would you do the upper back?

It’s trained primarily on deadlift day. Then I would do 1 or 2 pulling movements on bench press day since it is important in the bench (so delts and back on bench day with maybe some triceps work) and do Zercher carries on squat days

CT bit unrelated but pendlay’s article today about EMOM, i think you’re a big fan of this as well (use in density section, after heavy ramp)?

I have this observation, maybe completely wrong. But when your lifts look perfect, too smooth and effcieint or techniques that promote this (singles, EMOM, perfect reps), the hypertrophy effect DIMINISHES?

Vs. a bodybuilding style where you grind out, keep going and form shits a little bit, but you really feel the muscle tense/strain
thats where size gains come (i.e. latter part of clusters in layers for example).

WHen the weight flies up and you look like you’re barely trying, yeah it feels great but muscle is not being built
what do you think?

Ok I get it! Is possible to add some extra back work on upper body days? I want to add some front and back lever work.

Hi Thib, one question, when you ramp to a solid 2-3 or 4 RM and then do back off sets, how do you establish a weekly progression? So, if I for example ramp up to a solid 2RM of 65kg in military press, next week I should try to go for 67.5kg? Or just lift by feelings? Thank you

Ramping to a solid 2RM (or another number) means that you do NOLT follow a specific progression model. If you did, you would have planned loads every week (e.g. 80% week 1, 82%, week 2 etc.).

You are using the ramp to establish what will be a good weight for the down sets, which is your volume work. On some days (most weeks if you did your job right) your 2RM (or another RM) should go up slightly, but on some occasions (incomplete rest, mental fatigue, etc) it might stay the same or even regress a bit, you use that to decide which weights to use for the rest of the session.

Understood now! Thank you!

CT - Can the 20 Min Muscle program work in 4 days per week, or is it too low volume?

I hate those kind of questions.

Everything done in a progressive manner can work.

That having been said the 20 minutes muscle builder will never build as much muscle as a complete program. It was designed for someone who has absolutely no time to train. It’s a way to still get some results despite the lack of time. But it is not an optimal way to train for maximum results.

Understood, sorry to be annoying. Just trying to plan a simple way to structure my lifting since my schedule/life is changing (due to work stuff, plus another kid on the way).

I have time to do a 2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off schedule like you recommend but the last training day needs to be short (30-40 mins including warmup) using limited equipment.

I have been toying with a Pull/Push/Legs split to get the big barbell lifts into the first three days. But I keep messing with it since I’m on vacation and have too much idle time out of the gym. Typical for me.

Day 1 - Deadlift, SGHP, row, carry
Day 2 - Military press, top 1/2 press, bench
Day 3 - Front squat, zerchers, rdl, carry
Day 4 - Chins, delts, arms bodybuilding stuff. 30-40 mins max

If you could just somehow, someway find 20 more minutes, you would have an hour to train on day 4.