New Anti-Depressant, Pristiq

[quote]ab_power wrote:
belligerent wrote:
Defekt wrote:
Why all the sexual side effects from antidepressants?

Because they fuck up your central nervous and endocrine systems?

It’s even worse if you are dating someone on antidepressants. In women it decreases sex drive to the point that unless you remind your gf about having sex, they might not ever mention it. Sex still feels good for them, but it makes the other person feel worthless because there is no spontaneity.

Before the “you must not know what your doing” comments come, I’ll mention that when she tapered off the drug for a couple months, everything was back to normal, including the attraction and spontaneity thing.
[/quote]

I think that’s a very individual thing. An ex of mine who had run the gamut of crazy pills was the most sensitive, easy-to-get-off thing I have ever laid pipe to.

First off, FlavaDave, that chick in your avatar is causing conflicting emotions between sexuality and asexuality.

I take Zoloft for Post-Combat Stress. For those new to the game, PCS is the pre-cursor to PTSD caused by combat experiences, which leads to very bad things. Before I started Zoloft I jumping between strong apathy and hateful homicidal intentions and desires where I had planned to go to work with a few high capacity magazines stuffed with hydra-shock bullets and taking people down.

Since the start of the Zoloft, I’ve stopped trying to break people’s arms at work along with other bad shit I was prone to doing. As for the sexual side effects, I’ve decreased from being crazy horny all the time to only some of the time, which is weird for me and I don’t like it at all. I also started Aniracetam in high doses to fight off the mental fog, 'cause being vapid makes me crazy and frustrated. Like belligerent said, try avoiding it if possible.

On the other hand, if you’re a raging ball in intense hatefulness and want to kill people ( I mean for real, not notionally) then by all means get started on something. It isn’t like you need it forever, just long enough to become used to feeling like you’ve toned down the negativity to a tolerable level.

Something to think about:

I have been on Celexa for several months. Once I got past the loading stage and my levels normalized (took about a month, and I did feel a little weird during that time) it has been good for me.

Not a huge difference, just a little bit, but enough. But you have to stick with it through the loading stage. I had serious anxiety and was self medicating with alcohol, and it just allows me to focus on tasks a bit better, and I can make decisions and am less on edge. I found no sexual side effects, actually, I am not so edgy so I can actually focus on enjoying sex.

However, it is a tool to help me while I am in therapy to address the issues that caused my anxiety in the first place. I have a lot in my past I haven’t dealt with and need to do so. To start antidepressant use without therapy with a GOOD therapist, someone you trust, is like putting a chemical Band-Aid on a psychological cancer, in my opinion.

I come from a family that is very anti-medication yet my husband can attest that it has been good for me. I don’t have mood swings, it doesn’t emotionally numb me, I haven’t experienced any of the stuff that some people have mentioned here.

However, my psychiatrist stressed that if I were on it, I MUST be in good therapy, and I am fortunate to have a professor at our school who is willing to help. Now this is all anecdotal, but I believe it’s wrong to say that ALL antidepressant use is bad.

It is not, however, helping me with the emotional problems I experience whenever I see FlavaDave’s avatar. I don’t think anything could. It’s like emotional abuse to have that thing popping up all over the place when I’m totally unprepared for the trauma of the image.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:

those are scientology videos

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
My depressive ex wouldn’t feel much after 10 minutes when I was boning her. Damn drugs.[/quote]

By the way…I’m day seven off SSRI, feel great, great mood. Sex FEELS way better, and I get to climax easy if I want to. Before, the sexual sides made it VERY tough to climax…if at all in many cases. Sometimes bieng able to smash for hours was great, but mostly it’s frustrating.

My sweats are gone, brain zaps and dizziness close to gone.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:
My depressive ex wouldn’t feel much after 10 minutes when I was boning her. Damn drugs.

By the way…I’m day seven off SSRI, feel great, great mood. Sex FEELS way better, and I get to climax easy if I want to. Before, the sexual sides made it VERY tough to climax…if at all in many cases. Sometimes bieng able to smash for hours was great, but mostly it’s frustrating.

My sweats are gone, brain zaps and dizziness close to gone.

[/quote]

I did have the “brain zaps” (so weird!) and dizzy spells when I was in my first two weeks on my SSRI. Did your doctor talk to you about the fact that you might have those symptoms during the initial few weeks?

Once I reached theraputic levels, all of that went away. We were on different drugs, and are of different sexes, so some of that plays in. I’m glad you are feeling better anyway, I’m just curious.

The entire pharmacuetical paradigm towards improving your health is a joke. It is Band-Aid medicine at best and slow suicide/russian rouletee at worst.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

those are scientology videos[/quote]

And?

Semi-related to this thread, so I’ll ask in here since there’s some good information going:

I recently went off Xanax XR after being on it for over a year. I feel fine, aside from noticing some weird pains/tightness in my chest/pecs. Nothing severe like a crushing feeling or anything, and not related at all to exercise or any kind of physical exhurtion.

Sometimes it feels like my skin’s being pricked and other times the chest area feels warm. The sensation doesn’t last long in either case.

Would this likely be related to my coming off the Xanax (started at the same time), or should I look into it further?

Are there any other common withdrawl symptoms I should be aware of?

Thanks.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Semi-related to this thread, so I’ll ask in here since there’s some good information going:

I recently went off Xanax XR after being on it for over a year. I feel fine, aside from noticing some weird pains/tightness in my chest/pecs. Nothing severe like a crushing feeling or anything, and not related at all to exercise or any kind of physical exhurtion.

Sometimes it feels like my skin’s being pricked and other times the chest area feels warm. The sensation doesn’t last long in either case.

Would this likely be related to my coming off the Xanax (started at the same time), or should I look into it further?

Are there any other common withdrawl symptoms I should be aware of?

Thanks.[/quote]

All I know is benzos help me sleep beautifully when normally its impossible.

Anti Depressants scare me because scientists openly admit they know very little about the brain yet they make drugs that are engineered to tamper with it…

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Anti Depressants scare me because scientists openly admit they know very little about the brain yet they make drugs that are engineered to tamper with it…[/quote]

Exactly… who wants to be a guinea pig?

well i have a little update.
the withdrawal is killing me, i’ll go from feeling like crap one second, to feeling like crap that just got ran over by a truck the next second.

i’m having nightmares, but that is the only physical side effect i am noticing.
however, the sex drive is back!!! i can orgasm at least twice a day now, with minimal stimulation. i just hope that i’m not going to be a two minute man now. now the orgasms aren’t as intense as they used to be, but at least i can have them lol. i’m not feeling the effect of the pristiq at all yet, i really hope i start too soon.

I strongly recommend tapering off rather than quitting going cold turkey.

I’ve been in and out of therapy for the past 7+ years, and I’ve tried a few of the anti-depressants. Paxil is a libido-destroyer in the first few weeks of taking it. For me, I didn’t care too much for the stuff because I felt numb all the damn time. I was later put on Prozac, which didn’t affect me at all. After that (lastly) was Effexor XR. I must say, the same thing took place. At first, I was really sedated, however, once it’s in your system, it’s not bad. I’m now on effexor xr and seroquel. I take the seroquel (anti-psychotic) for lack of sleep, and anger/anxiety issues. For me, I take the meds to supplement my therapy. When the time comes that I have complete control over my thoughts and emotions and no longer need therapy, then I’ll get off of the meds. The withdrawals will be a bitch, but I’ll deal.

Pristiq is the primary functional metabolite of Effexor so they are pretty much the same drug.

Similar to the isomer of Celexa, Lexapro. They are just patent extenders.

If you didn’t like Effexor I wouldn’t bother with Pristiq.

Androgens have exceptional efficacy in men as antidepressants. Testosterone, Proviron, and Dianabol have profound antidepressant effects.

SSRI’s have progesterone type qualities which generally benefit women. Dopaminergic drugs have testosterone type qualities which generally benefit men. They are prosexual as well. This is a generalization as it does not fit in all cases but it is a place to start.

well i tapered off as the doctor suggested, two days of a half dose… i’m beginning to wonder about the wisdom of that, but some people i have found have had success with a small taper while switching to a different drug. also, my sleep cycle is screwy now. i used to be in bed at 10 or 11 every night, i would have to fight myself to stay awake long enough to see Jay Leno’s monologue, but without a drop of caffeine or any other stimulant other than the 20 mg of adderal that i take in the morning, i stay up past midnight every night, and sleep in late every morning. (i have that luxury as I am in college and haven’t found a summer job yet)

[quote]masterpate wrote:
well i tapered off as the doctor suggested, two days of a half dose… i’m beginning to wonder about the wisdom of that, but some people i have found have had success with a small taper while switching to a different drug. also, my sleep cycle is screwy now. i used to be in bed at 10 or 11 every night, i would have to fight myself to stay awake long enough to see Jay Leno’s monologue, but without a drop of caffeine or any other stimulant other than the 20 mg of adderal that i take in the morning, i stay up past midnight every night, and sleep in late every morning. (i have that luxury as I am in college and haven’t found a summer job yet)[/quote]

I went from 150 a day to 75 a day then 75 every two days. I went 75 /2days for 2 months. (1 mo suppy)…then I swithched insurance and had issues with the refill. on day 4 I was a crazy, naucious, tweaky, sweaty person. I felt like I was coming off hard ass drugs. The sides and withdrwl lasted 1 week.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

I felt like I was coming off hard ass drugs.

[/quote]

You were.