New and Needs Opinions!

alright im going to post my current stats and my overall goal plz give me advice on how to best reach it. im 17 years old and have 17.5 % bf, i am 5 foot 9, 175 lbs (180 maxed), arms 13 inch cold, chest 39 inch, waist 37 inch, thighs 25 inch, calfs 15 inch. my ultimate goal is to hit 7% bf, have 16 inch arms (cold), 46 inch chest, 30 inch waist, 26 inch thighs, 16 inch calfs. and to have clearley unflexed visible 6 pack.

i been training 5 weeks every second day under a program my trainer gave me. but currentley have no diet. plz note im only 17 and can’t go to extreme lengths to eat healthy food. i just want a solid easy to follow diet. and should i bulk or cut? and things like that. the closest person i can think of that i wanna have a body like is thomas jane as the punisher. sorry theres no really good pics to show his definiton but if you seen the movie youll get my drift. well im off to work out ill check all your posts when i get back thanks for any advice.

Your still young kid.

Eat your veggies, fruit, chicken, salmon, lean beef etc. Drink lots of water.

Come back and post in a years time.

I forgot to add, chain yourself to a squat rack for a year, then come back and post.

At 17%, you’d be better served by simply making more nutritious food choices rather than a strict diet plan. It’s an easier way to start and you will see results. Stay away from processed things, drop sodas, etc. and keep to fruits/veggies/meat(not deep fried) as a majority. Don’t drink anything except water/pwo shakes/and teas(no sugar added). A glass of OJ to start the day isn’t too bad though, as it’s a great base for mixing greens supplements(if you can afford them, they are damn tasty).

I hate to sound like a prick but squats and milk. You just need to lift heavy and follow the seefood diet: see food and eat it. Dude, just eat loads and lift heavy (yes, I should probably eat more…)

Ya i Agree im not aiming for a strict diet right of the bat just looking for good guide lines to healthy eating. but i would like to point out that i am a fairley fussy eater who would barf 90% of seafood. and even though im 17% bf you wouldnt guess it by pics of me which ill add as soon as i get some.

also have gotten fat burning protien supps i will continue to work on sturdays to maintain my income for the supps through out the year. what i really need is healthy and practical food choices to replace the chocolat bars and chips and soda. things i can get at a grocery store nothing extreme. my meals like breakfast and dinner are often healthy containing alot of meat like steak chicken etc. its my snacking thats killing the diet and sometimes lunch is bad like steak pepper and cheese subs. and dont worry about my age i havent grown an inch in over 2 years my body has plenty of mass i have naturally large limbs and torso for 17. plus for 17% bf i hold my weight preety well if i do say so myself, i just look wide framed in a t shirt. also what will squats do for me since my supervisor didnt give me any on my program which is over in like less then 2 weeks.

[quote]The punisher kid wrote:
Ya i Agree im not aiming for a strict diet right of the bat just looking for good guide lines to healthy eating. but i would like to point out that i am a fairley fussy eater who would barf 90% of seafood. and even though im 17% bf you wouldnt guess it by pics of me which ill add as soon as i get some.

also have gotten fat burning protien supps i will continue to work on sturdays to maintain my income for the supps through out the year. what i really need is healthy and practical food choices to replace the chocolat bars and chips and soda. things i can get at a grocery store nothing extreme. my meals like breakfast and dinner are often healthy containing alot of meat like steak chicken etc. its my snacking thats killing the diet and sometimes lunch is bad like steak pepper and cheese subs. and dont worry about my age i havent grown an inch in over 2 years my body has plenty of mass i have naturally large limbs and torso for 17. plus for 17% bf i hold my weight preety well if i do say so myself, i just look wide framed in a t shirt. also what will squats do for me since my supervisor didnt give me any on my program which is over in like less then 2 weeks. [/quote]

You kind of missed the point of the seefood diet. Note how it is spelt see (as in with your eyes), not sea (as in fish)… it is kind of a joke description of the fact that at your age you should eat all the food you see to pack in a lot of protein and calories and lift heavy as you are at a very opportune time of life to make some great muscular gains. (male in your late teens = lots of growth hormone and high testosterone running riot through your body naturally)

Regarding healthy snacks, how about these:

Food:
Unsalted nuts (note - very caloie dense)
Beef jerky
Biltong - South African food, like jerky but better (in my opinion).
Metabolic Drive bars - if you can afford them (don’t rely on these, try to get whole foods when you can)
You could grill up some chicken or something in advance and take it with you.
Fruit, and lots of it. All different types.

Soda replacements:
Diet sodas - diet coke/pepsi max/coke zero is my weakness. Not too mcuh of these though eh?
Water
No added sugar cordial
Beer (just kidding)

Squats:
Do them.
Deadlifts too.
And pullups.

I would suggest that your “trainer” is crap if they don’t have you doing squats.
What is your routine like?

[quote]Stuey wrote:
The punisher kid wrote:

also have gotten fat burning protien supps i will continue to work on sturdays to maintain my income for the supps through out the year. what i really need is healthy and practical food choices to replace the chocolat bars and chips and soda. things i can get at a grocery store nothing extreme. my meals like breakfast and dinner are often healthy containing alot of meat like steak chicken etc. its my snacking thats killing the diet and sometimes lunch is bad like steak pepper and cheese subs. and dont worry about my age i havent grown an inch in over 2 years my body has plenty of mass i have naturally large limbs and torso for 17. plus for 17% bf i hold my weight preety well if i do say so myself, i just look wide framed in a t shirt. also what will squats do for me since my supervisor didnt give me any on my program which is over in like less then 2 weeks.

You kind of missed the point of the seefood diet. Note how it is spelt see (as in with your eyes), not sea (as in fish)… it is kind of a joke description of the fact that at your age you should eat all the food you see to pack in a lot of protein and calories and lift heavy as you are at a very opportune time of life to make some great muscular gains. (male in your late teens = lots of growth hormone and high testosterone running riot through your body naturally)

Food:
Beef jerky
Metabolic Drive bars - if you can afford them (don’t rely on these, try to get whole foods when you can)

Soda replacements:
Diet sodas - diet coke/pepsi max/coke zero is my weakness. Not too mcuh of these though eh?
Water
No added sugar cordial
Beer (just kidding)

Squats:
Do them.
Deadlifts too.
And pullups.

I would suggest that your “trainer” is crap if they don’t have you doing squats.
What is your routine like?[/quote]

Thanks that was a good post in which i will take into consideration, actually im going to act on the snack advice today. and heres my routine note that im strictley on machines ( which is getting boring cause they have there limits) also note all excerises are 3 sets 15 reps with NO exceptions .

in chronological order 15 minutes bike machine,(5.5 miles) leg ext 30 lbs leg curl 30 lbs rowing (super set) 50 lbs chest 40 lbs shoulder 20 lbs bicep 30 lbs (both arms) tricep 105 lbs (both arms) abs (workout ball excercise) hyper ext 40 lbs 20 min tread (walking) streching post workout protien shake ingretience whey protien (2 scoops) skim milk (2 cups) vanilla ice creme (2 scoops) wheat germ mangos (frozen)

alright thats what the supervisor wrote for me don’t know names of exact machines sorry (im new) hopefully this will help give you guys some insight as to an appropriate routine with good amounts of reps sets and weight thanks everyone!

Stuey wrote:
The punisher kid wrote:

Food:
Beef jerky

Soda replacements:
Water
No added sugar cordial
Beer (just kidding)

Squats:
Do them.
Deadlifts too.
And pullups.

What is your routine like?

Thanks that was a good post in which i will take into consideration, actually im going to act on the snack advice today. and heres my routine note that im strictley on machines ( which is getting boring cause they have there limits) also note all excerises are 3 sets 15 reps with NO exceptions .

in chronological order 15 minutes bike machine,(5.5 miles) leg ext 30 lbs leg curl 30 lbs rowing (super set) 50 lbs chest 40 lbs shoulder 20 lbs bicep 30 lbs (both arms) tricep 105 lbs (both arms) abs (workout ball excercise) hyper ext 40 lbs 20 min tread (walking) streching post workout protien shake ingretience whey protien (2 scoops) skim milk (2 cups) vanilla ice creme (2 scoops) wheat germ mangos (frozen)

alright thats what the supervisor wrote for me don’t know names of exact machines sorry (im new) hopefully this will help give you guys some insight as to an appropriate routine with good amounts of reps sets and weight thanks everyone! [/quote]

That’s a ghetto PWO shake. If your trainer doesn’t switch over to free weights you should seriously consider reading up here, understanding a program posted here, and dropping him/her.

Some nutrition advice for you… I hate tracking calories, but in order to make sure you’re eating enough… make sure you’re eating 7 meals a day. At every meal, eat a minimum of 500-600 calories with ~40g+ of protein at each meal.

“I’m a picky eater”

At 17% bodyfat?

I don’t think so.

You seem like a kid who has been raised on boxed food and whatever can be put in the mouth quickly.

Read everything from John Berardi, learn how to eat, and hit the weights.

It ain’t freakin rocket science.

thanks alot

OK going to be as kind as I can here yet blunt and to the point.

drop the workout get under a bar and move some weight if the trainer you have wont show you how to do things such as squats, DL’s, OH presses, bench press, BO Rows, vchins, cleans etc then fire him/her and get one that will or take the innitiative and go learn.

Look at something basic and solid check out the threads above pinned in this forum for both diet and training. I suggest something Like “Big Boy Basics” to get you going. (do a search) or simply learn the lifts pick two a day or hell one a day of those listed go to the gym and do that exercise for an hour. Just do it.

[quote]
true true no one around here likes to cook and i can’t cook worth shit.[/quote]

OK so learn your getting knowwhere making excuses put food in pan and cook it get a cook book and read. unless fo have an endless income to pay a chef then you just mioght need to learn some day if you really want the goals you stated.

Your 17 I was holding three jobs in the summer 1-2 during school your only a slave to your environ if you let yourself be work and buy food. If this is important then you will.

[quote]
i do rely on them to feed me.[/quote]
your fault so stop.

[quote]
and for fussy eater i mean i have almost completley avoided fruit and veggies my whole life and i don’t know which ones i like if any… i remember the last time i ate a bannana back in 95 it didnt turn out well.[/quote]

eat the damn things how will you know what you like if you dont ever do it due to OOOOOOH being scared the big bad fruit might not taste good. Are you reading how you sound?? You say you want these goals bad but yet you wont even eat a peice of fruit.

[quote]
however i hated eggs back then too i tried them about a year ago again and BAM i loved them so prehaps my tastes have matured. also i found my holy grail of workout programs.

i found the exact one thomas jane did to train for the punisher and his exact diet. can’t get any more accurate then that huh! [/quote]

It most likely some BS PR workout printed in some fitness rag to sell copies. This guy if he has an impressive physique didnt build it over night with some crap routine it was built over time with hard work and lots of real lifting do your self a favor learn the big compound lift and how to dedicate yourself and work hard. Also how to eat.

shop the perimeter of the store as in around the edge not the isles of boxed crap. around the edge you will find things like produce (real fruit and veggies) the butcher as in meat etc, dairy, milk cheese, butter, usually a bakery get some good whole grain breads, then a frozen food section more veggies, frozen meats like chicken breats etc. hell get a job at the store eat up.

In the end its going to takle the effort not the excuses to do this. Quite making excuses for not having the PERFECT plan or shit diet that some how you are forced to eat. Man up make the commitment and go get your goals,

Hope that helps,
Phill

thank you so much! your my hero!

actually thomas jane only had a handfull of months less then 6 i believe and he did his routine twice a day so im inclined to belive its real, cause actors often have a very short time to get good results they can’t spend years in the gym preparing for one movie and you know it.howvere i on the other hand do have years.
[/quote]

Yeah, actors have a million bucks, professional trainers and generally they don’t make their goals unassisted if you catch my drift.

Blithely following a plan that will work for someone else, due to factors you can’t duplicate, is probably not going to be a good plan.

However, you may be young enough to have good recovery if you eat perfectly and get lots of sleep. Looks like an ixnay on the eating asepct though so far.

Look, the fact that junk food is brought into the house doesn’t mean that you can’t still eat well. Oats are cheap. You can have those every freaking morning and spend next to no money.

It sounds like nobody else will be eating anything that healthy when they have captain crunch and count chocula available as well.

Cottage cheese is a staple that you will want in the house. Likely nobody will be eating any of that either by the way you describe the situation.

Anyway, try not to spend money on the supplements until AFTER you have the food and the diet under control. At your age you should lift, eat and grow. This will leave you money for meats, oats, milk, eggs, tuna, salmon some fruits and vegetables, nuts and cottage cheese.

Oh, yeah, and some fish oil too probably.

Now get reading. Since you eat crap now start with the 7 habits by Berardi. Then move on to more serious diet and nutrition articles.

Ok, you don’t want to hear about things back in the old days eh? Well, how about this. I’m 24, I was 17 in 1999. At that time I worked 3 nights a week and both weekend days at a coffee shop, plus cleaned an office building saturday mornings, plus went to school full time, was active in scouts, played in 2 bands, went to the gym 3-4 times a week and still had way too much time to party and get my ass in trouble.

Have things really changed that much in 7 years? I doubt it. You think you’re short on time now? Wait until you get to college, or, god forbid, out into the real world. Trust me man, things aren’t that different, you’re not special, you just have to figure out what’s important to you and how far you’re willing to go to get it.

Now, regarding the food at home situation, I feel you on this one. I recently moved back in with my folks after being out of their house for a long time and it’s not easy. They eat fairly well, but keep more junk food than I normally would. And I understand, if it’s there, it’s hard to not eat it. Here’s a couple of things you can do though.

1. Try to get your family to eat better. If they’re all fat and out of shape you’ll only be doing them a favor by trying to help them. Take some extra time and go to the market with your mom (or dad if he does the shopping). When she reaches for that bag of chips big enough to sate a family of elephants, try getting her not to buy them, or maybe get a smaller bag so they won’t last as long.

When she grabs that loaf of plain white bread, grab one of whole wheat and say “oooh, this looks so much better, let’s try it for once!” Trust me, she probably buys a lot of junk because it gets eaten and she thinks everyone likes it, if you’re there to tell her not to, you’ve already won half the battle. (btw, this will probably make you unpopular with the rest of your family for a while, don’t worry, when they notice their pants are fitting looser and they have more energy they’ll forgive you).

1. If you can’t change the way your family shops, try doing your own shopping and keep your food separate. Set out a section of the cupboard or pantry for your healthy foods and keep them there. This way, when you want a snack, you go straight to your section of the cupboard and look there first. That way you don’t have to sift through the chips and candy and other tempting goodies.

2. Go out and buy a nalgene water bottle, fill it up with water, and carry it with you wherever you go. When it’s empty, fill it up again. A lot of times people snack because they feel hungry when they’re really just thirsty. Drinking lots of water helps this. Also, staying well hydrated will help curb cravings for salty snacks such as chips.

Ok, now you’ve found T-Nation and asked a question (and gotten some good advice). Now it’s up to you. Read everything you can on this site. If you have more questions, try using the search function before posting, more often than not, you can find your answer in an existing article or thread, and find other interesting stuff to read in the process.

And lastly, take every opportunity you can to do something physical. Take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator. Walk or bike instead of driving somewhere close by. Offer to carry heavy things for people just because. Every time you find yourself sitting in front of the computer or television, ask yourself if there’s anything better you could be doing for yourself. It’s not that hard and it really helps to just have the mindset that you want to be active as often as possible.

Ok, I’m done ranting and raving now. I’m just bored at work and felt like saying something more than “SQUATS AND MILK”

good luck,
Jay

let me add to that–im 18

so old days huh? you sound like you continue to make excuses to not do the right thing. You ask for advice, then flame the advice you recieve.

Im 18, I work 25-30 hours a week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, just finished highschool, about to start college. BTW, I had a 3.7GPA in highschool with “all of that work”. I also have plenty of time to hang with my friends on the weekend.

And yes, no one in my house eats healthy, thats why I buy chicken in bulk, and grill me up a whole pack to last the week for lunches. If my family is having something unhealthy for dinner, i throw one of my chicken breasts in the micro and have that. Sure they think im a freak, and sure they dont appreciate it, but I look at them, then look at myself, and im much happier with the decision.

Punisher kid,
You’ve gotten some good advice so far. Here’s my 2 cents:

1. In terms of eating, follow John Berardi’s 10 Habits (used to be 7, but he updated them recently). You don’t need to get overly into counting calories, and at this point, even if you are only following those 10 habits 75-80% of the time as opposed to 90%, you’ll do well. Just don’t be afraid to eat.

2. For training, I would check into the total body programs by Chad Waterbury and Alwyn Cosgrove. Outside of that, there are also some great upper body, lower body splits such as Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards II and Mike Robertson’s Designer Athletes.

3. Supplement wise, get some Metabolic Drive Surge and some Metabolic Drive Complete. You could add in something like Creatine that’s inexpensive, but I think you will see great results if you take the knowledge on this site and apply it.

4. It’s cool you’re using Thomas Jane as an inspiration, he was in great shape in the Punisher (good movie, by the way). Eventually you’ll grow out of wanting to look just like him, and gradually into wanting to look like the best possible version of yourself. Dave Tate has a good quote, which I’m paraphrasing, that when you’re young it’s ok to have hero’s, but you will eventually grow out of that in order to achieve what they have done.

Good luck man, you’ll do great.

So you tell mother you want to eat healthy and she says no? You dont just wing bodybuilding it takes dedication, there’s a lot to learn about eating nothings easy. Potato chips arn’t an option anymore.

Phill wrote: id like to as 4 sets of 40 reps crunchs.my abs are my weak point.
[/quote]

Based on your body fat your wouldn’t see your abs if you did 100 reps. You wont see your abs if your fat on your stomach is gone. You seem very occupied on your abs and getting that image. You’ll need to focus on HIIT.

thanks

thanks again