New Age Limits For Recruits

Damn it! The government raised the age you can enlist from 35 to 42. I am 50 and want to get in on this fight! I think guys my age have a lot to offer – we’re definitely a hell of a lot more experienced than a 19 year old.

My country needs me, and here I sit! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

BS

My dad’s 49 and he’s told me several times he would try to join the service if they raise the limit high enough.

-Conor

If guys want to go to Iraq, but have something precluding them from the military they can sign up for blackwater or Haliburton. Get over there and make some damn good money as well.

If you work as a private contractor the first $79,000 is tax free if I remember. No age limit!

After a 6 year stint and two years as a civilian, I joined back up at age 27. Let me tell you, the years of abusing my body are catching up.

An older guy (or gal) definetly has more experience, wisdom and judgement than a 19 year old. But there are drawbacks…

First, physically can most 42 year olds keep up to the standards?

Age, maturity and wisdom are all good, but the military needs blind obedience. Is a grown man going to jump when a 22 year old Sgt tells him to?

I would guess that most 42 year olds joining for the first time are pretty hard up and not doing well in the game of life. To a young guy, the 1,200 a month is decent money, but to an older guy?
I would guess that this new regulation is geared towards prior service soldiers getting back in, and National Guardsman.

Also, before I insult anybody, I realize that there are a lot of older guys who are in better shape than me, can out run, lift and out push me, could
whoop my ass, and show me up as the punk
kid I am. To those guys, no offense is meant, and sign up, we need good men.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
If guys want to go to Iraq, but have something precluding them from the military they can sign up for blackwater or Haliburton. Get over there and make some damn good money as well. [/quote]

Ive heard of Haliburton, but whats Blackwater?

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Elkhntr1 wrote:
If guys want to go to Iraq, but have something precluding them from the military they can sign up for blackwater or Haliburton. Get over there and make some damn good money as well.

Ive heard of Haliburton, but whats Blackwater?[/quote]

A security force lots of law enforcement, infantry, special ops, type vets get hired by this outfit. The guys a few of em Seals who were killed in Fallujha and strung up off that bridge a year ago were from Blackwater.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Elkhntr1 wrote:

Blackwater is a private security company. Very high speed, recruiting from SF, rangers, SEALS, etc.
I do believe they provide security for the business/exec types and possibly some of the wealthier Iraqis.

I have no personal contact with them, but my friends did, and they told me that they are no joke. A bunch of cocky cowboys though who play by thier own rules and don’t hold the average ‘Joe’ in high regard. All hearsay, though. Google it.

I don’t think you’re likely to get accepted to Blackwater, Triple Canopy or any of the private contractors unless you’re a prior Special Ops guy. The contract you get varies widely depending on your background.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Elkhntr1 wrote:

Better yet, whats both?

[quote]carter12 wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
Elkhntr1 wrote:

Ive heard of Haliburton, but whats Blackwater?

Better yet, whats both?

[/quote]

Numerous jobs with Haliburton. They are running the food catering mess halls, the phone system for the troops, mechanics, running the deadly gauntlet convoys of delivering food and other supplies. A lot of the jobs the military used to have to do for itself.

I,m a 33 year old ex-sailor that really felt the need help with the war on terror. I joined the army because our country needs soldiers not sailors. Whats really funny about this whole thing is that I have a higher PT score than most of the 20 year old kids. i got a 280 on my last test (84 pushups, 73 sit ups, and 15:01 on the 2-mile run). I can’t stay up all night and then come back to work at 6 am all bright and chipper like I used to back in the day but I still hold my own.

My platton sergeants, FO, and a couple of the other higher ups like me because even though I'm only an E-3 (AGAIN!!!) I don't do any of the stupid shit that the kids do i.e. drink to much, show up late, get in trouble etc.etc.

So to cut this short, there are good and bad things about taking older guys in the service. But I’d take older soldiers that were in shape over kids anyday.

I don’t care about the money at all, just want to do my bit. And Marmadog, before you say ‘BS’ again, take the r out of your username and … well, you know the rest.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I don’t care about the money at all, just want to do my bit. And Marmadog, before you say ‘BS’ again, take the r out of your username and … well, you know the rest.[/quote]

HATNA (Headhunter All Talk No Action).

Anyone that thinks the war in Iraq has anything to do with the war on terror needs to sign up now or shutup.

Excuses are like @$$holes…everyone has them and they all stink.

Here’s 116 results from Monster.com with the key word “Iraq”:

http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?opt=go&sort=rv&vw=b&cy=US&re=14&brd=1%2C1862%2C1863&rad=50&q=iraq

I know the Govt. contractor job I had in Virginia was looking for people to go over there, and they couldn’t find enough people willing to go.

You don’t need to enlist in the Military to help and make a difference.

Let us know how the interviews go and if you get any of the jobs.

Here’s what I came up with searching on Google for “Iraq jobs”:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=iraq+jobs

Hay bros I am 28 and a SGT. I have done 15month in iraq. It is the what a lot of people think it is. you just dont run around getting in fire fight. As a matter of fact 9 out of 10 times you will never even see the asshole shooting at you. That is if you are lucky enough to be shoot at.

Most of the time you are out on patrol and your truck gets hit by and IED thats a big boom that some jerk off put in the gound and is now sitting of some where wait for you to drive but to blow you to hell.

I know this because my squad whas hit by 7 of them. I lost 2 of my soilders and recived 2 purple hearts. So for you guys who still want to goin up GOOD FOR YOU. It takes a lot of guts to sing up know that you will end up their. And i will probbaly see you their next summer. that is when we are headed back. FIRST TEAM

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1122831709642.stfu.jpg

Here’s an idea.

Why not stay right where you are and do volunteer work with the brave men and women who are returning from Iraq missing arms and legs, crippled, with mental problems, etc?

Or are you only doing it for your own ego? Me big man, me like fighty!

Otherwise, shut the fuck up and get your down to your local VA and do some good.

They’re part of the fight too, even if they’re not in Iraq anymore.

Here’s a webpage from the Disabled American Veterans association, seeking volunteers to help older veterans and those returning from Iraq. Along with the opening paragraphs from the webpage that talk about how many of them have lost the travel benefits that used to allow them to travel back and forth to the hospitals for physical therapy.

So stop whining and start helping.

http://www.dav.org/volunteers/volunteer_opportunities.html

[b][i]"Thousands of disabled vets face real needs that government programs can’t meet. Responding are volunteers from the DAV and its Auxiliary - joined by growing numbers of other Americans.

Travel benefit cuts left many vets with no way to get to Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities for needed treatment. They're men and women who answered our country's call in times of war. Many lost limbs, sight, hearing, or good health.

They may live a great distance from a VA hospital, and because so many exist on small fixed incomes, they find that the cost of transportation to a VA hospital is just too high. They're left with two choices. They could go without the treatment they need, or skimp on food or other necessities to pay for transportation.

Vets disabled in our nation's service should never face such dire options. So DAV and Auxiliary volunteers responded, driving vets to and from VA hospitals and clinics. Other grateful Americans are helping too. It's all part of the DAV Transportation Network, administered by DAV Hospital Service Coordinators (HSCs) at the VA's 172 medical centers. The DAV has also donated vans, where needed, to make the program work."[/b][/i]