T Nation

New Action Hero?

I know this has been beat to death around here: the days of icons like Arnold and Sly are gone and some of us wonder (maybe hope is a better word) if they’ll ever come back.

I was at another board today and a thread entitled “Is John Cena the new Arnold?” was started about this movie, “The Marine”, starring the wrestler of WWE fame.

My first reaction was to laugh it off as a joke. I’ve been hearing Dwayne Johnson is the next Arnold for years now. Yeah…right. It’s not his fault, however. The market for those types of heroes is simply gone. Or is it?

I haven’t watched wrestling in years. I don’t even think it’s because I “grew up”. I still enjoy a lot of things that probably aren’t considered “grown-up”: comic books, cartoons, etc. It just got corny. The storylines became ridiculous.

So, for me, that was another strike against the movie, because a) it stars someone from the WWE, and b) it’s produced by the WWE.

Upon further thought and after watching the trailer, however, I’ve started to feel that Vince may be on to something here. The trailer looks pretty damn good. Entertaining if nothing else. And judging from the popularity of the WWE brand, McMahon certainly knows how to appeal to the masses. If he’s producing it, maybe he could single-handedly bring these types of movies back into the mainstream.

Then again (and more likely), this may just be another Walking Tall: fairly well-received by wrestling/bodybuilding/action fans and that’s about it. What do you all think?

Oh yeah, and the T-1000 is back, bitches.

I’ll say this flick looks better than that horror flick set in a hotel the WWE backed.

[quote]CC wrote:
I’ve been hearing Dwayne Johnson is the next Arnold for years now. Yeah…right. It’s not his fault, however. The market for those types of heroes is simply gone. Or is it? [/quote]

From what I’ve been reading Rock delivers a spectacular performance in Gridiron Gang. I’ll see it this weekend.

I’m looking forward to the Marine.

[quote]Plisskin wrote:
I’ll say this flick looks better than that horror flick set in a hotel the WWE backed.[/quote]

Which film is that?

[quote]HardcoreHorn wrote:
Plisskin wrote:
I’ll say this flick looks better than that horror flick set in a hotel the WWE backed.

Which film is that?[/quote]

See No Evil

I think the Rock is where it’s at. He acts well.

I think the rock did an excellent job in “The Scorpion King”,and I don’t think Cena will do poorly in “The Marine”

I will be seeing GridIron gang tomorrow

Look’s sick I will have to see it

Let me make something clear. If I sounded like I was nonsupportive of or bashing Johnson in the first post (I have a hard time calling him “The Rock” anymore, lol) that was certainly not my intention.

What I was simply trying to say was that he hasn’t become the “next Arnold” as people have been predicting for some time now, at least not yet. I don’t think it’s because of his acting abilities, because, let’s face it while they had some bright spots here and there (Rocky I, First Blood, True Lies…) Arnold and Sly weren’t exactly lighting up the screen either.

I think it has everything to do with Hollywood pushing these Ashton Kutcher/Paul Walker types for the last few years because that’s where the dollars have been.

[quote]CC wrote:

I think it has everything to do with Hollywood pushing these Ashton Kutcher/Paul Walker types for the last few years because that’s where the dollars have been.

[/quote]

He also prefers comedy…he said it in an interview.