Never Too Old For Something New

It is true my friends.

First off I’m a powerlifter who believes in conditioning. The better your conditioning the better you can train, simple fact.

Saturday I took part in a conditioning workout totally different than any I have ever done. At 56 years old I learned and will continue to learn more with this.

We had a group of 4 that did this and we started out pulling a sled in the alley behind the gym totalling 155 lbs sled and weights. We pulled it one length, 100 feet. Then pulled it back that distance, but walking backward. We did 2 laps like this to warm up. Had to since it was 10am in Texas and it was not 100 degrees yet, only 88.

Then we go inside and the main leader lines up 3 flat benches.This was for doing jumps over each. I am wondering what I have gotten into here, but I do it anyhow. We did 6 runs with this and I even jumped them holding a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand. I jumped like I do getting a prostate exam.

Then we sit on this box and jump from it. Twice jumping for height, and twice for distance. This to build power in bottom of squat and deadlift.

Back outside we go and it is now just over 90 out. Damn almost need a jacket. We do one lap with the sled again, but with 45lbs more weight on it, and walking backwards both ways. I love doing crazy crap like this.

Next we have the prowler. It is a 40lb sled made for putting weights on and then pushing. Like in the old days of football you had blocking sleds, same principal.
Now I am sweating like when I am working for the wife at home.

We now do a farmers carry. We have two bars with 2 inch thick handles on them and put 90 lbs onto each one. So the purpose is for each of us to do a lap with a bar in each hand. Sounds easy enough, but with 135 in each hand a few difficulties enter into it. You have to balance the damn things. You cannot let them swing, and lastly. Making the turn is harder than the cookies my wife bakes.

Then back in we bring the sled with us. Why in God’s name am I doing this? We put the sled at one end of the leg room, and attach a nylong rope to it that is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. You sit at the other end of the rubber floored gym, znd using your hands you pull it across the room to you. You really work your back, shoulders, biceps and nail the crap out of the forearms. This we each did 3 times. I did it once with 110 on the sled, then twice with 165 on the sled.
Just like a television ad, ait but these is more.

Pull thrus done with kettle bells.I do sets of 12 with one kettle bell weighing 26 lbs, then another set with 2 of them. Then like an idiot I do a set of 10 with the 72lb monster.
If I live until tomorrow I will be stronger. This crap is tough and our group of 4 was done in a little over an hour. Right before the toughest of the Texas heat.

One guy did not make it, he over slept. Last week the missing member, Josh Bryant, did the jumps over the benches. He did 3 runs holding an 80lb dumbbell in each hand.
He is strong, and he is young, so he must die.
Anyway this type of workout will really do some good, and I will be there every weekend for it.
I am a glutton for punishment. I know pain, I know aches. I have been married, twice.

I am a glutton for punishment. I know pain, I know aches. I have been married, twice.
LOL
I have been married for 28 years, just once!
Great article & keep on with the conditioning :slight_smile:

How long did it take to recover from your conditioning work out ? Good Job

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
How long did it take to recover from your conditioning work out ? Good Job[/quote]

Well I stuffed my pie hole and did some woodworking at home. By Sunday I was recovered enough for a light deadlift workout. Pulling 5 reps with 315lbs and no belt and in Chuck Taylor shoes. Then zercher squats sets of 6 with 135. reverse hyperextensions 3 sets of 12 with 280 on the mast. Followed by much food. I eat 6 times a day and take in about 300 to 320 grams of protein and 120 gms carbs and even less fats.

Makes me wish I was lifting with a group…

For even more pain, add some burpees and jump rope to that conditioning workout - but only once or twice a week or they’ll kill ya.

[quote]vagrant wrote:
For even more pain, add some burpees and jump rope to that conditioning workout - but only once or twice a week or they’ll kill ya.[/quote]

Jumping rope is a comedy feature when I do it. Also the wife says I do too many burpees as is. drum rimshot.

ZING!

[quote]Senseial wrote:
It is true my friends.

First off I’m a powerlifter who believes in conditioning. The better your conditioning the better you can train, simple fact.

Saturday I took part in a conditioning workout totally different than any I have ever done. At 56 years old I learned and will continue to learn more with this.

We had a group of 4 that did this and we started out pulling a sled in the alley behind the gym totalling 155 lbs sled and weights. We pulled it one length, 100 feet. Then pulled it back that distance, but walking backward. We did 2 laps like this to warm up. Had to since it was 10am in Texas and it was not 100 degrees yet, only 88.

Then we go inside and the main leader lines up 3 flat benches.This was for doing jumps over each. I am wondering what I have gotten into here, but I do it anyhow. We did 6 runs with this and I even jumped them holding a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand. I jumped like I do getting a prostate exam.

Then we sit on this box and jump from it. Twice jumping for height, and twice for distance. This to build power in bottom of squat and deadlift.

Back outside we go and it is now just over 90 out. Damn almost need a jacket. We do one lap with the sled again, but with 45lbs more weight on it, and walking backwards both ways. I love doing crazy crap like this.

Next we have the prowler. It is a 40lb sled made for putting weights on and then pushing. Like in the old days of football you had blocking sleds, same principal.

We now do a farmers carry. We have two bars with 2 inch thick handles on them and put 90 lbs onto each one. So the purpose is for each of us to do a lap with a bar in each hand. Sounds easy enough, but with 135 in each hand a few difficulties enter into it. You have to balance the damn things. You cannot let them swing, and lastly. Making the turn is harder than the cookies my wife bakes.

Then back in we bring the sled with us. Why in God’s name am I doing this? We put the sled at one end of the leg room, and attach a nylong rope to it that is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. You sit at the other end of the rubber floored gym, znd using your hands you pull it across the room to you. You really work your back, shoulders, biceps and nail the crap out of the forearms. This we each did 3 times. I did it once with 110 on the sled, then twice with 165 on the sled.

Pull thrus done with kettle bells.I do sets of 12 with one kettle bell weighing 26 lbs, then another set with 2 of them. Then like an idiot I do a set of 10 with the 72lb monster.
If I live until tomorrow I will be stronger. This crap is tough and our group of 4 was done in a little over an hour. Right before the toughest of the Texas heat.

One guy did not make it, he over slept. Last week the missing member, Josh Bryant, did the jumps over the benches. He did 3 runs holding an 80lb dumbbell in each hand.

Anyway this type of workout will really do some good, and I will be there every weekend for it.

I am a glutton for punishment. I know pain, I know aches. I have been married, twice. its never to late and im glade that im seeing over40 something training hard like you are. thank you. mentaly its hard at time’s for me due to being 42. you know staying on a program either my own or someone els.

[quote]Senseial wrote:
It is true my friends.

[/quote]

hey would you set up a program that i may use. boxalarm.

This is some cool shit! I’m an FBB w/ some lower back problems and some recent rotator cuff stuff that brought me from some pretty neat lifetime PRs on upper body lifts back down to the realization that I probably wont’ be lifting “heavy” any time soon and need to figure out a way to switch my training from “heavy” to conditioning.

As a lifetime worshipper of the BB training mindset, I’ve ventured off into PL training for a mere 3 months out of nearly 25 yrs of lifting and probably got some of best form training in my life. I think even w/o pushing the weights, the conditioning aspect is constantly left out of BB-oriented training and students of that approach will ultimately suffer for it at some point in their lifting career.

I’m in the process of relocating my life yet again but I’m going to keep an eye out for a facility or group of people who I might learn a thing or two from in this direction. Thanks for highlighting this!