Never Talk to the Police!

http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

Excellent video by a law professor and a cop.

I don’t have to see the video to know that this is an accurate statement. If you are any way involved in anything shady directly or indirectly don’t talk to the police.

If you are involved in an incident where you had to defend yourself, don’t talk to the police.

Even if the cop is decent a prosecutor may try to screw with you later.

Get a lawyer.

Additional useful link:

[quote]orion wrote:

Excellent video by a law professor and a cop. [/quote]

I don’t know about the video quality, but this cheap idiot can’t even be bothered uploading it to Youtube or somewhere with a decent bandwidth.

Screw this! Next time you start a thread and link to a server that can’t handle more than two dozens connections, we’d appreciate it if you could include a short summary.

[quote]lixy wrote:
orion wrote:

Excellent video by a law professor and a cop.

I don’t know about the video quality, but this cheap idiot can’t even be bothered uploading it to Youtube or somewhere with a decent bandwidth.

Screw this! Next time you start a thread and link to a server that can’t handle more than two dozens connections, we’d appreciate it if you could include a short summary.[/quote]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6014022229458915912&q=&hl=en

don’t even look in their general direction

I learned this the hard way. They’ll never get a word out of me again.

The guy’s got one bitchin’ tie!

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I learned this the hard way. They’ll never get a word out of me again.[/quote]

Do tell.

Didn’t see the video, but I will say that being honest with police has gotten me out of a lot of trouble/tickets!

Yes you are never under any obligation to speak to a police officer. But it must be taken in context. If I am pulled over by the police, I act very respectfully, almost overly so.

I don’t act like I am kissing ass, just that I respect their “athoratai”. But I do not want it to look like it is anything false that would draw any suspicion on me.

I have known people who the second they get pulled over by a cop they are immediately confrontational. Interesting how many of those people have had their cars searched, while I have gotten a warning on 14 over the speed limit.

Now I haven’t really had to deal with the police in any serious way, mostly because I tend to “keep my nose clean”.

But if I were to notice things starting to degrade, or I was being accused of something, my only words would be, “I want a lawyer”.

But often it is in the best interest to work with the cops. If you happen to look like a suspect, helping them could quickly show you are not who they are looking for. While being belligerent could make them want to make an assumption about you, or hang on to you a little longer even though they have figured out that it ain’t you.

Then again if it is you. Yeah, shut the fuck up. (Or just admit it.)

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I learned this the hard way. They’ll never get a word out of me again.[/quote]

Werd. /START Name, DOB, Address. I will not be making any comments on the matter until I get proper legal advice from my lawyer. /END

[quote]The Mage wrote:
But often it is in the best interest to work with the cops. If you happen to look like a suspect, helping them could quickly show you are not who they are looking for. While being belligerent could make them want to make an assumption about you, or hang on to you a little longer even though they have figured out that it ain’t you.
[/quote]
That’s the opposite of what the guy in video (and the officer) is trying to make clear.

Talking will never help. Let physical evidence prove your guilt.

[quote]waht wrote:
The Mage wrote:

That’s the opposite of what the guy in video (and the officer) is trying to make clear.

Talking will never help. Let physical evidence prove your guilt.[/quote]

Anyone think volunteering to allow them to search your home for guns and drugs in exchange for amnesty is a good idea?

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15574438/detail.html

Okay, so you’re pulled over for speeding, and the cop asks you: “do you know how fast you were going?”

For a whole host of reasons, you can’t answer “no, I don’t know how fast I was traveling.”

If you answer yes, you either have to lie (“I was doing 55”) or you have to provide evidence against yourself (“yeah, I was doing 80.”)

Not answering the question seems out of the question.

Unless I’m missing something, you really have no choice but to tell the truth in this case.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Okay, so you’re pulled over for speeding, and the cop asks you: “do you know how fast you were going?”

For a whole host of reasons, you can’t answer “no, I don’t know how fast I was traveling.”

If you answer yes, you either have to lie (“I was doing 55”) or you have to provide evidence against yourself (“yeah, I was doing 80.”)

Unless I’m missing something, you really have no choice but to tell the truth in this case.[/quote]

So, we should speed at a level that let’s us admit our transgression without serious penalty… :wink:

Can’t you just answer the question with “yes” and not prove your knowledge by stating your speed?

[quote]vroom wrote:

So, we should speed at a level that let’s us admit our transgression without serious penalty… :wink:
[/quote]

hah! Yeah, that’s kinda what I do actually.

[quote]
Can’t you just answer the question with “yes” and not prove your knowledge by stating your speed?[/quote]

“okay, Mr X, pray tell then, how fast were you going?”

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Anyone think volunteering to allow them to search your home for guns and drugs in exchange for amnesty is a good idea?

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15574438/detail.html

[/quote]

If they are truly giving you immunity from prosecution, it is worth considering. But then you have to wonder what else they might find in your home, and whether that can come back to haunt you…

Unless I’m missing something, you really have no choice but to tell the truth in this case.[/quote]

The link PrCalDude posted deals with exactly that.

“Officer, I have nothing to say. Am I free to go?”

“okay, Mr X, pray tell then, how fast were you going?”[/quote]

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself… ?