Never Go Full Strongman (or Bikini)

Get those overhead tosses in! Rocks or sandbags, or frat boys beer kegs on Saturday night. Sometimes, even Pro Strongman show up to competitions, unprepared for that event. I’m sure many of the dudes getting ready for your competition are slacking on it too. Points are points, and for an athletic dude, keg toss should be kinda natural.

Howdy @FlatsFarmer

Yeah you’re right, thanks for the wake up call. I need to start incorporating stone throwing with purpose, not as an oddity/afterthought. I live in walking distance to the nearest jetty, something that I’m sure most aspiring strongman would drive for miles to. Time to really take advantage.

Indeed, points ARE points. It’s very unlikely that I’ll be competitive in the deadlifting event, but if I train it hard enough I bet I could do some real damage in the keg toss.

Thanks for stopping & giving some perspective!

1 Like

No problem! I love to talk about training.

Hopefully the best deadlifters at your comp are the worst tossers.

Is the truck pull portion of the truck pull/push arm over arm with a rope? That seems like another one that would be good to practice. Even with mom’s garden hose, just to get the full body rythm down.

I’ve been thinking about using a regular rope to tie the sled to one of the battling ropes at the gym, then arm over arming that for fun. Wendler mentioned it in an article a while back.

Hey @FlatsFarmer, sorry it’s been a hectic last serval days.

Haha, a man can hope.

Well the truck is 3 stages: a push, a pull with a harness, and then yeah arm-over-arm. I actually used to practice it pretty frequently at my old gym. They had a rudimentary set-up for it. Actually, i have an industrial duty shipping rope in my storage. I could probably rig up the rope to an old skimboard and put weights on top of the board and drag it through a field or over asphalt. Man you’re a wealth of ideas lol.

Man, you could probably just tie it to the sled. At my old gym i just ran the shittiest rope through a few plates then knotted one end. The rope got torn to shit but it worked great… another reason why opening a planet fitness is probably a better investment monetarily-speaking than a serious gym, haha.

5-19-16
HER & I

Just went in for some easy pc work.

Leg curls: 4x10-15

Some glute machine: 4x10-15

Romanian deadlift: 4x10-15

That sounds like a pretty tough medley. It’s cool that you’ve already trained for part of it. I love the event selection for your contest. It seems really balanced between moving, heavy lifting and fast explosive stuff.

5-22-16
Big, difficult swim.

I had a bunch of friends and family down to help celebrate my engagement, and yesterday all my friends and i hit the beach, as virtually none of them live on the coast. It was a blast but we had some close calls.

I’m always iffy when out in the water with people who aren’t familiar with the ocean. Everyone seems to overestimate their abilities while underestimating the sea; a sometimes fatal combo.

We decided to try our luck and swim to the third sandbar. Mind you, yesterday the waves, current, and wind were all about as strong as it gets out here.

We swam out as and as we arrived to the 2nd bar i saw my friend struggling about 50 meters behind us. I swam back to him and grabbed him to swim us both over to the 2nd bar to gather ourselves.

Despite my advice, my friends wanted to try for the 3rd, so of course i went to make sure everyone was safe. For those unfamiliar, the the trek to the third sandbar is a tough leg, much deeper water and much farther than the previous leg (1st-2nd).

We swam out and one of my buddies was swimming way too hard to try to reach it, he was at least 25 meters ahead of us. He gassed out. We noticed he could no longer keep his head above the water so we raced to his aid. By this time, we were far from the safety of the second sandbar. At first i tried the rescue swim, but I’m not proficient enough for the conditions, and the waves were crashing hard over us, so i would take a big breath, and swim underneath him to prop him up so he could actually breath above the water. We repeated this process several times until we were able to get him to float on his back; the cessation of struggle on his part made this technique a bit easier. We got back to where we could stand and began to head in.

Upon reaching shore, we realized that the currents had drug us about a kilometer down the beach.

Solid cardio session.

Yeah hopefully that plus the hill sprints will pay off. I actually like it a lot too, it really does seem fairly even amongst the skillsets. It’s a level II comp with what i understand is often a big turnout, so i guess they wanted a broad spectrum of events & abilities. I’m stoked!

5-25-16
ME

Powerlifting Low bar, wide stance back squat:
45x5
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
315x1
335x1 (squat pr!)
350x1 (BIG squat pr!!)
315x1
275x3x5

Assistance 3 rounds:
8 machine bilateral kickbacks
8 ab wheel from knee

notes. I’ve been doing high bar narrow stance for so long low bar felt awkward at first, but that faded fast. I know i had more weight in me but psychologically having that much weight on my back kept me from pushing. Also, 350 low bar felt easier on my lower back than 275 does with high bar. I think low bar coupled with fronts should take care of all my squatting needs going forward

2 days ago. …

ME
about 50-100 reps of shoulder presses and 60 chins

HER
Ramped to 65x5x5 in back squat
Legs assistance

Today
**ME **

15 rock throws

10 landmine “clean” and presses with bay log.
Had to really rachet the log up so i use the term clean very loosely. Here’s the log:

1 Like

You were really braving the elements roughing it.

Haha, yeah it was pretty soul-crushing.

Thanks for the inspiration to get out there again by the way, i doubt i would have gone otherwise. Although i got a bunch of splinters & slices in/on my hands, of which i hold you solely responsible.

Are you able to get that “flip” or back-spin tossing the rocks? You don’t want to knuckle ball those kegs.

You inspired me to go swimming the other day. I have a lot of room for improvement.

To be honest, I haven’t looked for that. I will though so thanks for the tip!

Glad I could provide some inspiration! Hope you enjoyed it still, haha. I love swimming but always just way underestimate how much it’s going to drain the life out of me. Funny story, back when I was trying to get into the military I did laps in the pool with a 45lb weight vest on. A couple of times I sank in the deep end and had to bail at the bottom.

Probably one of the stupidest training things I’ve ever done but I’ve never got shredded faster. Funny how the fear of death can really make you give 100% effort.

6-1-16
ME

5x3 “clean & presses” with the bay log above. People were by my throwing area so I didn’t throw any rocks

6-2-16

ME

Low bar squat:
45x5
135x5
205x5
235x5
265x5

Rack pulls (just below knee)
5 x 335+30lb chain at top
5 x 385+30lb chain at top

Hanging leg raises
40 reps

Bilateral kickback machine
3 x 8

HER
High bar squats:
Ramped to 75x5x5

Chain rack pulls:
5 x 10 with 65+30lb chain at top

Superset with

5x10 cable crunches

Then some leg isolation stuff

notes i didn’t do any glute activation like i did the first day of lb squats, i think it made a difference

6-6-16

ME
Incline swiss bar bench
10 x 45
10 x 95
3 x 135
5 x 3 x 185

Incline swiss bar chained bench
5 x 2 x 135+60lb chain at top

Machine chest press: 3 x 10

Triceps rope pull-down: 3 drop-sets

face-pulls: like 75 reps

HER
Incline swiss bar bench:
warm-up
5 x 5 x 65

arms & back assistance

How do you like the swiss bar? I would really love to have access (or own) different specialty bars. I bet it is a lot of fun to change things up that way.

Howdy @Koestrizer

I actually like it a lot.

As far as benching with it goes, a pro/con depending on how you see it, it that I find it feel less “balanced” so to speak; there’s a bit of tilting back & forth going on, and no spin (not sure if this is all swiss bars or just the one I use). So there’s a tad more stabilization component, even more so than a thick bar or axle in my opinion, and even to a greater extent so when you add chains. A definite benefit is that my shoulders feel a LOT less achy afterward. It’ll be a great tool for when age really begins getting the better of me, haha.

As far as pressing goes it basically feels like a log with an exaggerated ROM.

One day when I have a home gym again A swiss bar will be the next purchase after a SSB!

6-8-16

ME
outside
-5x5 overhead rock throws
-8 reps of bay log to rack position
-5x1 big (new log) log deadlifts

inside
Deadlifts
7x1 x 405 (EMOM)
8,5,3 X 315

T-bar strip sets: 3 sets

Chins (various grips): 1 rest-pause set