A2) Chins
A3) Banc pull-aparts

B1) Machine chest press - 3x10
B2) more pull-aparts

C) 3x10 kneeling ab wheel

D1) 3-way shoulder raises
D2) DB alternating curls

Notes
Just exhausted from this weekend. Had a lot of fun though! I figured it was about time to bring a deload into the mix since there was no way I was going to hit a PR anyway running on very little food or sleep.

1 Like

3-28-16?
DELOAD??
+/- 180lbs bodyweight

Conventional Deadlift
135x2
225x2
315x2
365x2
405x2
425x1 ← PR maybe? Geez my deadlift/static strength is awful.
455x0 ← I broke the ground, but nada. This would’ve given me the “coveted” 2.5x/BW deadlift, lol.

SSB squats - 225 x 3x10

Then went into BJJ. Becasue of the location of the gym to BJJ, we’ve been hitting the gym directly before class. This was the first session where I kept from being choked out by the purple belt!

4 Likes

No record is awful! Better is better.

How did your deadlift go up? When did you even pull last, weeks ago on a trap bar? What needs to improve to deadlift more?

Thanks Flatz.

Last time I pulled conventional deadlift was the day after Christmas, & yeah the trap bar was the only time pulling from the “floor” since then - besides good mornings & RDLs.

Truthfully I think I’ve had that 425 in me for a while, I’ve just been making this huge jump from 405 to 455 & missing. Breaking 455 was a first though, but that could just be because I was finally smart enough to load 425 & hit that prior.

I’ve been operating off of the concept that your deadlift can go up by mostly just training squat variations & supplemental hip hinge work. That may have worked a little bit, but not a ton. At least it didn’t go down lol.

My weak point seems to be right around the mid-shin area. It’s where I either miss the lift with heavier weights, or lose position with lighter weights. Really thinking about it, technique-wise maybe doing more pause deadlifts & rdls would help out? I don’t really know what muscle weaknesses cause that issue… lats maybe?

When the bar is at mid-shin you are in the worst mechanical position in which you’ll be during the lift. (Aka the lift is at it’s hardest there)

Accelerating violently during the whole lift may get you past it, but don’t count on it. Strengthening your hamstrings and back should do the trick.

Lol, glad it’s not just me

Man, one of these days I’d like to run conjugate with bands & chains & such. For now though, that sounds like a plan! hammies & lats have been neglected sadly, time to bring those puppies up.

1 Like

4-3-18
ME Upper

A1) 5 Chins

A2) Bench
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x4

A3) 10 reverse flys w/ 15s

B1) High-incline DB Bench - 5x8-12 w/ 55s
B2) DB curls - 5x10 w/ 35s

C1) kneeling ab wheel - 5x10
C2) TRX face-pulls with upward rotation - 5x10

D) plate prayers - 5x10

Lifting notes: I’ve been wanting to get in some more volume, so I figured bumping the work to 5 sets/assistance exercise was a good place to start. Still no entry form for the branch warren on June 30th sadly…

Jui Jitsu
We’re working on scissor sweep flow drills. I went 3, non-consecutive 6 minute rounds. 1 with a young white belt, 1 with a big brown belt, and another with a purple belt. I had the brown belt’s back but just couldn’t finish the choke. With the purple belt, I managed to get my legs around his neck, but the the round ended before I could try a submission.

2 Likes

Me too, and I’m not even a powerlifter!
There’s just something about that program that’s so damn attractive

Sounds good, and if you ever feel like not working them just to Deadlift more (doubt it) remember them width gains man! (Also when you have some mass in the hamstrings and you are lean that’s about the nastiest thing ever)

1 Like

Totally agree. I really like Brian Alshrue’s layout for it.

I am totally a closet bodybuilder lol.

2 Likes

Brian has a lot of great ideas for training, I like the conditioning theme he brings into it everything

Aren’t we all :wink:

2 Likes

4-5-18
BJJ

We worked on flow drills: Scissor sweeps > mount > Oompa(?) >armbar

Then wend two rounds, one with the black belt instructor (whom I actually tapped!), and a white belt almost identical to me in size & in strength - he’s better with technique so I’ve yet to tap him.

With the black belt submission, last class he told me about the trap he was setting me up in, luring me to go for his hands only to get me in guard with his legs. He forgot he told me about this, so at the beginning of the round, I grabbed his feet, flipped him over, & rushed in for a guillotine. Only worked once of course lol.

Events just got posted for Houston’s Strongest Man/Woman (@strongmanbrett)

Looks like a damn heavy show. No idea if I can even break the ground with 600lbs across my back.

3 Likes

Aside from the Conans Wheel, this looks like a great comp for me. I’ve been focusing on yoke and log just because I like them so there is two great events for me. Not to mention I’m getting pretty good at farmers, so sandbag and conans are my weakpoints.

Heavy show! Will be a long day with two max weight events.

Best of luck to you two!

I’ll be competing in Novices, what can I expect from other novices in terms of Strength/Skill?

Thanks @Koestrizer! Nice PR by the way! Been traveling so trying to catch up.

@strongmanbrett Novice division can actually be pretty stacked. Sometimes you’ll have big guys who could otherwise hold their own in the heavy weight divisions go novice because it’s their first show. Don’t fret though, that’s not what the class is about. It’s about getting your feet wet, learning about how competitions run, & having a good time .

Thanks mate!

4-10-18
1,000% Awesome, Leader 1, week 1/12, workout A

A1) SSB Squat – 45x5, 135x5, 195x5, 225x5, 255x5
A2) BB Strict press – 115x5x5

At home – 2 rounds of:
Push-ups
BW squats
Pull-aparts

Jui Jitsu:
A few folks were testing for their blue belts tonight, so it was cool to check that out.

Notes:
I’ve been contemplating how I want to train for this next comp in 12 weeks. Actually, want is a pretty strong word; how I can train is more like it. I’d like to run a conjugate-based template, with 3 months off, and inside of a steakhouse. Right now, I can only commit to training 3x/week in addition to BJJ.

1000% Awesome is a very time & recovery-conscious program. Yesterday, it was either be in and out of the gym in 20 minutes max or don’t go at all. Easy call to make, & by super-setting the press & SSB squat, I was in & out in around 15 minutes & knocked out the assistance work at home. I also used 1,000% as the pre-comp cycle in my last competition & was pleased with the results.

2 Likes

4-11-18
1,000% Awesome, Leader 1, week 1/12, workout B (1st half)

A1) broad Jumps

A2) Deadlift - 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x, 1, ouch

So the ouch…
Pulls were moving fast, & I was only taking around a minute break between rounds. Instead of the 1000% deadlift protocol, I’m doing a deadlift peaking plan, & this day was to go for a 5RM with 1 or 2 in the tank. I’m awful at leaving stuff in the tank.

About 6 inches in to rep 2 w/ 405, my back rounded & I felt a bunch of pops in my lower back followed by instant pain. I dropped it, kept the belt on to casually unload the bar as I fought the urge to grimace, and left without looking anyone in the eyes. Hurts a lot today, but this isn’t my first rodeo with this nonsense.

I think I’ll be okay come next week. The program calls for a 3rm, but to hell with that noise. I just hit a 1rm, so there was no need to re-work up to it. I’m going to keep with the peaking protocol, but just work backwards from it.

1 Like

Damn that sucks! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks man! It’s bad getting out of bed, but as the day goes on & I move around it eases up. Tonight though, I’m exchanging BJJ for a crawfish boil!

For recovery purposes of course.