T Nation

Never Asked to Spot, Good or Bad?

I realized today that I never get asked to spot anyone. Well, I have a few times. But this week and last week, another guy is there doing chest the same day as me. Both days I was paying attention to this, he will walk to the other end of the gym and get a spotter while I am sitting on the bench about 10 feet from him. I am not small or too weak to spot him (he’s not doing more than 200 or 225 anyway.) Could it be that I give off the impression that I don’t want to spot people?

On one hand, I get an uninterrupted workout but at the same time, I don’t want to be that guy. Is it a good or bad thing?

Just lift, man.

I have to admit, though, that when I ask people for a spot I try to get people that look like they’re not busy. But I also try to find people that I’m pretty sure won’t ‘help’ me, aka do all the work, which is lame as fuck.

you probably get that look on your face when you’re lifting, that makes people think they should leave you alone. i haven’t mastered that look quite yet because no one leaves me alone. you should be happy.

Maybe you smell like ass? Just a possibility.

I joke. I joke. The same happens to me and I love it. I never smile and am pretty much in my own world when I workout. I have no problem spotting people and will sometimes offer if the person is looking around anxiously, but I prefer an uninterrupted workout.

I only ever have to spot 1 guy and hes the only 1 I ever bother talking to much so maybe one thing follows the other.
on a similar note has anyone here thought about putting on a weight they should have a spotter for,look around and see nobody theyd feel safe spotting them and doing a higher rep set instead?

no i usually just go for the heavy weight and hope for the best

I am rarely asked for a spot by strangers, but occasionally gym buds ask for one.

Maybe you don’t look strong enough? :wink:

I love it! lol as fucked up as that is

lets me know that I look stronger than every one else because only the “365 and up benchers” ask me.

they usually say

“bro, I know if I miss you can hang clean it off my chest”

I then blush and giggle.

He’s probably put off by the fact that, while you think you’re sitting there innocently with a smile on your face waiting to see if he needs help, in actuality you are probably grimacing intensely with your eyeballs rolled into the back of your fucking skull and you’re hovering right over him with one hand down your pants and the other twitching uncontrollably as you scratch at your nipples to the point that they’re oozing puss right through your shirt while you drool away and your nose is bleeding, you’re clearly sexually aroused and you’re wearing women’s clothing.

There is a guy who gets me to spot him every fucking morning for bench. It got to a point where I kinda snapped at him. He was benching 160lbs and did one rep with me helping just a tiny bit to get up for a rep. Then decides to do ANOTHER one! WTF. I just yanked on it to pull it up and racked it;

Guy- “Hey it was going.”
Me- “Yeah, I was doing more of the work.”

I’ll spot anyone in my gym however when you can barely do one then decide to do another, no, I am not for that.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
There is a guy who gets me to spot him every fucking morning for bench. It got to a point where I kinda snapped at him. He was benching 160lbs and did one rep with me helping just a tiny bit to get up for a rep. Then decides to do ANOTHER one! WTF. I just yanked on it to pull it up and racked it;

Guy- “Hey it was going.”

I’ll spot anyone in my gym however when you can barely do one then decide to do another, no, I am not for that. [/quote]

have you tried fixing his sets/reps with him? I mea, more experienced or knowledgeable lifters should help out in gyms as much as possible to the obvious clueless. ya kno, show him max-ot or something that will have him making gains instead of getting annoyed bro!

I think as a strength community we need to stop poking fun or dissin people who are confused and just HELP without all that “I’m a god damn star” shit.

not an attack btw

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

Guy- “Hey it was going.”

I’ll spot anyone in my gym however when you can barely do one then decide to do another, no, I am not for that. [/quote]

have you tried fixing his sets/reps with him? I mea, more experienced or knowledgeable lifters should help out in gyms as much as possible to the obvious clueless. ya kno, show him max-ot or something that will have him making gains instead of getting annoyed bro!

I think as a strength community we need to stop poking fun or dissin people who are confused and just HELP without all that “I’m a god damn star” shit.

not an attack btw
[/quote]

No, it’s understandable. But this was a guy who is in his 50+. I’ve learned that these guys have a ego and there way is the only way.
The kid that was benching 185lbs at the time is a guy who really is into himself. Like if he could he would marry himself. His questions were nothing about asking about ab work.

You tend to get to know these guys by they way they talk and say things. I know it’s probably just going off assumption but still.

It may be playing off from teaching my gf things. She just blows it off and nods. So I kinda stop lending out advice to people who don’t ask.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
He’s probably put off by the fact that, while you think you’re sitting there innocently with a smile on your face waiting to see if he needs help, in actuality you are probably grimacing intensely with your eyeballs rolled into the back of your fucking skull and you’re hovering right over him with one hand down your pants and the other twitching uncontrollably as you scratch at your nipples to the point that they’re oozing puss right through your shirt while you drool away and your nose is bleeding, you’re clearly sexually aroused and you’re wearing women’s clothing.[/quote]

This. I’m 100% sure of it, theres absolutely no other explanation.

[quote]No, it’s understandable. But this was a guy who is in his 50+. I’ve learned that these guys have a ego and there way is the only way.
The kid that was benching 185lbs at the time is a guy who really is into himself. Like if he could he would marry himself. His questions were nothing about asking about ab work.

You tend to get to know these guys by they way they talk and say things. I know it’s probably just going off assumption but still.

It may be playing off from teaching my gf things. She just blows it off and nods. So I kinda stop lending out advice to people who don’t ask. [/quote]
I have to agree with this. I may not know as much yet as I’d like to about weightlifting, but if I see somebody doing something completely ridiculous or downright dangerous than I’ll throw in my two cents. However, every single time this is meant with resistance to the point that I just give up and don’t want to offer up any ideas to anyone while I’m at the gym.

meant = met*

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
He’s probably put off by the fact that, while you think you’re sitting there innocently with a smile on your face waiting to see if he needs help, in actuality you are probably grimacing intensely with your eyeballs rolled into the back of your fucking skull and you’re hovering right over him with one hand down your pants and the other twitching uncontrollably as you scratch at your nipples to the point that they’re oozing puss right through your shirt while you drool away and your nose is bleeding, you’re clearly sexually aroused and you’re wearing women’s clothing.[/quote]

This. I’m 100% sure of it, theres absolutely no other explanation.[/quote]

x2 This is the only reason I wouldnt ask that person for a spot. No other reason. NONE

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Literally had to clasp my mouth like a school girl playing hide n seek to keep from laughing in my cubicle. Nice!