Neurotype Test vs Genetic Test

Coach, all your info is great, especially on Neurotypes. I have taken the test twice and am a 2A Actor. On my genetic test reports though it says I have the slowest Comt (met:met) - worrier gene, and Actn3 (XX).

Could I be 1A or 3 but learned outside traits? What makes it more odd is that I played D1 Football as well as a defensive lineman/linebacker! (was not a starter).

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Slow COMT will be either 1A (warrior) or 3 (worrier). The way the slow COMT affects them depends on other neurotransmitters.

Both are also poor methylators, leading to low serotonin and acetylcholine.

The ONE difference between 1A and 3 is the GAD enzyme level. 1A have a very efficient GAD system, leading to tons of GABA and low glutamate (super high conversion). 3 will be the opposite, hence why one is a “warrior” (uses adrenaline to fuel his desire/competitiveness) and the other a “worrier” (adrenaline leads to overthinking and even anxiety).

Does that mean that when the receptor is sensitive (depleted of GABA), 1A will be the same as type 3?

Both of these things are 100% true for me. Reading deeper into the neurotype stuff, i feel as if I am a type 3/1A split…which one is dominant is dependent on sleep, stress, etc. and may vary daily. The usual pattern is I ride the 1A bulldozer to accomplish a lot in life and the gym for a while, using adrenaline to get it done, and then crash into an over anxious type 3 until I get a few days of low-stress and good sleep to reboot. I am certainly a good amount type 3, but I am most definitely NOT a 2B.

Is this something you have encountered?

Coach. Thank you.

If there is an issue with GABA (depletion or conversion problems), yes, a type 1A will act more like a type 3… that’s when they are at a high risk of burning out or depression. A burned out 1A is a silent 1A. When a 1A is silent, it’s a bad sign.

Yep, very typical of a 1A.

Do you typically modify your 1A training recommendations for those who are more prone to burnout?

I always adjust volume and frequency to the individual. The neurotype is a starting point. I have a 1A athlete doing as little as 6 work sets per workout (total, not per exercise) 3 days a week.

Wow. I know I am guilty of overdoing the volume that I can reliably recover from, but that is low.

What do you do for guys like that who really like to train?

We use a higher training frequency.

Also consider that this is an athlete, not just someone who wants to build muscle and get strong. Meaning that he also sprints a few times per week, which decreases how much lifting volume he can do.

I’m 2B with all my personality traits, but in training, I feel like 1A, I like lifting heavy weights (less than 5 reps) and high volume can make me feel bad, In addition, I also hate axit lactic, only 1 set to failure will destroy my morale( as 1B). Although I have high levels of Glutamine and low serotonin, I feel that my nervous system is recovering well with a high-carb meal after a workout, I easily fall asleep. do I have something special GEN?

Nah, in my opinion you are more likely a 2A, which share some commonalities with 2B when it comes to personality. And 2A will fall in love with a concept and that’s all they want to do. They also need others to respect them, and being strong can be see as a way to get respected and therefore it becomes interesting, exciting, motivating.

I’m a 2A and for most of my training life I was more attracted by heavy lifting.

And post-workout carbs will absolutely help the nervous system recover because carbs will lower body cortisol and adrenaline. And the main cause of neural fatigue is excess adrenaline. Normally serotonin and GABA are used to counter the effect of adrenaline, so those who have more of it can handle more neurological work. But adding carbs post workout can allow those with lower GABA/serotonin to recover better for that type of work.

1 Like

Hello @Christian_Thibaudeau,

How would being an Asperger mess into a 1A/3 profile ?

Asperger would score very high on type 3 for sure. Asperger is in large part due to a problem with both the serotonin and dopamine transporters, making these systems very inefficient.

@Christian_Thibaudeau Thanks for the awnser.

And I guess that 91 is described as quite high?

Is there any particular recommandation that you would give for someone (me) in this case ? Or does training follow the exact same rule and there is no adaptation or specificities ?

As you already guessed, I am in this case and if you’ve got like THE thing to read on that matter I would owe you a lot.

Especially for a type 3 dominance because types 3 tend not to want to reveal a lot about themselves and will often have scores that are in the 10-40 range for most.

I think that structure is at a premium. Low serotonin activity (which is found in types 1A and 3 as will be magnified in Aspergers) means issues with adaptation. A training that is more repetitive in terms of exercises and simpler in the way of methods, but using a structured progression model where the sets/reps/load are planned in advance is best.

I would also like into supplementation to improve methylation.

@Christian_Thibaudeau

I actually score 134 in 1A, 91 in type 3. Well, type 3 does ring some bell but I am fond of heavy lifting and I recover pretty well from nervous work. Better than from muscular work at least. But I guess we are all fond of lifting heavy to a certain extent.

It does make a lot of sense on the planification/structure aspect. I guess this is why I could stay on 5/3/1 for quite a long time. Any specific program recommandation ? I am giving a try on 1A program at the moment. I know it is not optimal yet but it makes the job waiting for the new iteration of your work.

Insightfull. What kind of supplementation would you use to improve methylation ? I already take D3 and magnesium.

Thank you very much for the time taken to answer me and to understand my poor english (j’aurai pu écrire en français mais autant avoir cet échange en anglais pour aider d’autres personnes dans des cas similaires).

Post scriptum : Should I look in 5-MTHF and folic supplementation along with D3, magnesium, glycine ?

Absolutely, and maybe give SAMe a try… but not at the same time (to better assess effects). Also, go with methylfolate not folic acid