Neurotype 2 Stimulus Addict

Hi Ct, you had commented that in former times you did a lot of additional exercise, because you are a person addicted to stimulation, always wanting to do a lot more.

How could you improve this situation?
How can I control the volume even if I want to do more?

I’m Neurotype 2B, and I’m addicted to stimulation, the program I like the most is the layering system. I can only do it for 2 to 3 weeks, then the performance decreases.

(sorry for my English)

Thank you.

2B will get drained fast on layers. But not because of the volume. They get drained because of neural fatigue from the heavy work (ramp up and clusters). 2Bs can handle a lot of muscular/hypertrophy work but crash REALLY fast when they start to include neural work (low reps/heavy weights or explosive stuff).

Would it be sustainable to do it for 2 to 3 weeks, then do a weight training program for 4 weeks, then go back to the layering system?

What I like the most in the layering system and how fast the body change happens.

Would there be any other program that looks like the layering system that changes the body so quickly?

Honestly I have not seen a program that leads to such rapid changes. What you are talking about might be possible. But after a few cycles it will still lead to a run down CNS. Unless the 4 weeks between layer cycles is done with no heavy lifting at all

just a thought here (hope i’m contributing coach)…but CT put out a revised GVT system that might be what your’e looking for (search on coach Thibs blog, he wrote it awhile back)

the 2b revised format incorporates a form of layers, with less 1-3 RM neurally demanindg ramps and more “muscle” 6RM ramp layers.

the split layout is also similar to layers (p/p/l essentailly) so you might like it.

i’m sort of alternating the 1a & 2a formats…

That’s interesting. I am pretty 2a.

I am currently alternating between 3-4 week accumulation+strength blocks and 2-4 week intensification+power blocks.

During the accumulation+strength blocks, I have basically been doing something similar to a GVT “ramp” or rep ladder every workout, but undulating the reps used. So for example, I may start the block by working up with 3s to a 3 rep max over 7-10 sets, then in the second workout I will use 4s, then the next week I will do 2s and and 5s and and then in the third week I will do 1s and 6s, so I have one ramp that is losing reps each week but going higher and one that is gaining reps each week. I may add a fourth week with a 3-2-1 wave and a 7-5-3 wave, or sometimes I will do 4-5, 3-6, 2-7 and then have a max week. The lower rep ramps are then used to lead into supra-maximal, and the higher rep ramps are used to lead into assistance or lighter layers.

I didn’t know that people were using 6RM ramps, but it really works for me to have 2 ramps running, one that is gaining reps and one that is getting heavier during an accumulation block of training. It’s neat because you may end up hitting the same weight on a 5RM layer that you hit on a 3RM layer at the start of the block.

I like 3RM ramps.
What would be the difference between 3RM or 5RM ramps?

It’ a HUGE difference neurologically. 5RM would be around 82-85%, 3RM is around 90-92%. There is a drastic difference in CNS stress when you reach the 90% mark, especially with Type 2B