Neurotype 1A Pump Training

Hi guys, I got 2 questions that I need your help with :

Workout :
Is it OK for a type 1A to include some pump workout for small muscles (arms, forearms, calves) at the end of a workout or during a deload phase?or is it detrimental as type 1A don’t handle volume well?

Nutrition :
What would be the ideal macros for a type 1A? High protein/high carbs? Something like the old 40/40/20?

Thanks for your help.

Check out Beach Training for Performance-oriented Lifters on thibarmy.

If you are training like a Type 1A your carb needs aren’t as high. And, if memory serves, it’s not a neurotype associated with a high carb intake anyway. Something like 40/30/30 (p/c/f) during maintenance and mass-gaining phases and increased protein intake (reduced carb intake) during a fat loss phase. 5-10%.

I actually changed that when I researched more the genes associated with the neurotype profiles. Type 1A and 3 are those who will respond the best to a higher carbs intake.

My mistake! In regard to the topic-matter, how does this interplay with the relatively short training sessions normally performed by a Type 1A? Their glycogen needs during training are less than that of the training style employed by a 2B, yes?

Related to your recent findings: is there a neurotype-link to feeling relatively better on a high-protein intake? I feel distinctly better on a ~1.5g/lbs protein-intake than I do at 1g with the difference made up of carbs, even if I employ those carbs around my workout and at night.

Thanks for your answer.
Indeed I asked a question recently on carbs and type 1A and had an answer from Christian.
As I experienced mood change and depression symptoms during low carbs diets.

The original recommendations are due to the first theory that 1As, like 1Bs where dopamine dominant because they were super sensitive to dopamine, but produced very little of it.

While that is true for 1B (because they have a fast COMT and are overmethylaters, which make them degrade and/or clear dopamine and adrenaline super fast, keeping the receptors sensitive) the 1A actually is “dopamine dominant” because he has very slow COMT and is an undermethylator, meaning that when they release dopamine and adrenaline they stay high for a long time.

A low carbs diet, increases dopamine and adrenaline (and cortisol), not a good idea if you cannot degrade/clear these neurotransmitters rapidly. That’s the reason why 1As can crash easily: they can very easily downregulate/desensitize their beta-adrenergic receptors

1 Like

Ultra interesting ! Thx for the information.

You mentioned previously that high protein is recommended for 1A as it supports dopamine production. So based your new discovery it is not recommended anymore? And preferably low/moderate protein to avoid high level of dopamine?

Correct, and high carbs to help control cortisol/adrenaline

Hi Coach,
I’ve been thinking about the type 1A updates and the training aspect.
I follow a high frequency low volume workout plan 6 days a week (push/pull/legs) 6/8 sets for 3-6 reps for counpound mouvements.
I’ve noticed that when a hit a PR or go to failure in the 2/3 RM I feel super motivated to do things after the workout but I become super chilled like I smoked pot later in the day :slight_smile:
Do you think it’s a dopamine crash? If so, should type 1A avoid too much PR’s or going to failure?

I am in the process of updating all of the programs on my website. They are all finished but we need to send them to the graphic artist.

They are a big update… each program is anywhere from 80 to 180 pages!!!

We’ll have:

• New neuro programs (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3)
  • New version of Strong as You Look (size and strength)
  • New version of Muscle Mass Blueprint (pure hypertrophy)
  • New version of Busy Person Program (lower frequency, shorter duration)
  • New version of physique transformation (fat loss/hypertrophy)
  • New version of female physique transformation

And new additions:

• Bench press specialization program
  • Big Gunz Bro (arm specialization)
  • Get vertical (vertical jump spec)
  • Elite Performance (the type of program I use with elite athletes, which includes the most advanced stuff that I use like weight releasers and olympic lifts)

To answer your question, feeling chill would not be a dopamine depletion. Dopamine depletion would leave you depressed, unhappy, demoralized.

It is more likely a transient reduction in beta-adrenergic sensitivity.

2 Likes

Great! I’ll be waiting for the neuro programs!
Thanks for your help coach.