Neuro Type Workouts in Weightlifting

Hey CT,

I read your series of neuro type workouts and the following program which seemed to lay them out primarily for powerlifting (at least for type 1). I have been training for weightlifting on a typical russian style program but found the volume was way too high and around 1-1.5 hours into the training sessions I’d crash and get this hazy feeling while losing all motivation. I was wondering how you would apply the principles from the neuro types to weightlifting and bodybuilding training (my 2 areas of most interest) and if there were any programs, particularly weightlifting ones, that you knew of which would fit a type 1.

Thanks!

1 Like

Type 1A = typical Bulgarian program or adapted program (working up to 90-95% instead of a true max)
Type 1B = Russian model but with less work sets per exercises (3 work sets after gradual warm-ups)
Type 2A = Chinese model without maxing out on the main lift (basically one main lift, 2-3 assistance exercises and some bodybuilding work)

2Bs and 3 are not designed for olympic lifting

2 Likes

You mentioned that you are a type 1… but you have to find out if you are 1A or 1B…

1A = stronger than fast (look at your squat to clean & jerk and snatch ratio, snatch/power snatch and clean/power clean ratios. If your squat is high versus your full lifts and/or your power variations are less than 85% of the full lifts you might very well be a type 1A… also can you multutask? If you CAN’T then you are more likely a Type 1A… do you find yourself needing a lot of variation in your exercises? If NO (as long as you go heavy) then you are likely a type 1A.

1B = Faster than strong. Are more explosive in nature; great at using the stretch reflex. Better from the hang than from blocks. Good at multi tasking, like to have more exercise variety.

1B do better on a Russian approach. But understand that the Russian “programs” you will find are designed for…

(1) Elite genetics… (2) who use performance enhancing drugs …(3) who have been training for years gradually increasing their volume and (4) can often devote their life to training

So even if a Russian “system” is good for your type, it doesn’t mean that you can use the same volume that they do.

2 Likes

I’m actually confused by your statement that Type 3 is not suitable for weightlifting - to me it makes perfect sense as “technique freaks.” I find that to be the most enjoyable aspect of weightlifting, perfecting the movements long-term.

I will say that I felt very out of place competing earlier this year - testing a max is stressful enough, let alone in front of a crowd! Thus I only went 2/6.

Is there an optimal way to have olympic lifts as part of an overall training strategy for Type 3’s? I do understand why most traditional olympic programs with low volume and lots of high percentages don’t match up, but there is no alternative? Let’s say for someone who doesn’t want to compete at all, or once every 1-2 years.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, but type 3 have a low neurological and muscular component and are not built for high intensity or explosive work. When I say not built for weightlifting I mean that they are not built to perform at it. YES you will see some type 3 do oylmpic lifting but they are the guys who do 10 000 practice sets and never get good… Technically they can get it. But they will look like they are doing the movement at 75% speed and will not move heavy weights

1 Like

That’s what I meant.

Everybody can “do it”. But not everybody is built to perform at it, let alone in competition.

1 Like

Not for performance per se. Performance will come (to some extent) but it should not be their goal.

I would simply do the 2 competition lifts as part of a basic program doing a high number of sets (8-10) of around 3 reps but using a weight that is “almost easy” most of the time…, seeing it more as technical practice. One of the two lifts at the beginning of every session, then doing the regular workout

1 Like

Thanks. So if I switch back to something like 531 or GVT per your article recommendations, I could do 8x3 of Snatch or C&J at a light weight (Wendler himself recommends explosive warm-ups albeit jumps & throws) and then hit the strength lifts. If I do 915, then the power clean or SGHP is included as part of the program, so done as written. About right?

1 Like

If you do 915 and add an olympic lift, take one assistance lift out

1 Like