Neural Charge Training, Bands, Rest Times, Activation Work, Deload

Looking for some basic information help that I cant seem to find specifics for regarding CT’s Neural Charge Training.

1. Can you use bands and chains during neural charge training, or will the force production of bands be two hard on the CNS

2. are we looking an an approximate percentage for 1rm to use doing Neural charge , 50%?

3. What are the general rest times between exercises, 30 seconds between exercises?

4. Can we use Neural Charge primarily as a deload, or are other typical deload programs better for a deload phase?

5. Am I correct that once you start feeling the good vibes feeling amped during deload you are supposed to quit, even if you are not fatigued.

6. Thoughts on neural charge training for activation exercises work prior to typical workout?

Ok first, before I get to your questions.

GREAT JOB putting your questions in an easy to read format. If everybody was like you I’d be an happy man!

You can use any tools with which you can be violently explosive. If you use bands/chains on top of barbell weight, simply reduce the bar weight to allow each of you reps to be violent.

IDEALLY you’d use a speed measuring device like “The Beast” sensor, the “Push” sensor or a Tendo unit. These calculate the speed in meter per second. We are shooting to work in the speed-strength (1.0 - 1.5 m/s) or strength-speed (0.75 - 1.0 m/s) zones.

From one of my seminar presentations:

STRENGTH - SPEED
Producing a lot of acceleration against a moderate resistance. This is a good way to get
stronger for individuals who are naturally built for acceleration. It is also a good method
to get stronger by increasing muscle fibers firing rate and rate of recruitment. Strictly
from a strength point of view, not really effective for natural grinders.

-50* – 70% on strength lifts (note that the percentage can come from bar weight, chains, or bands.) Never accepting a slow rep.

-70-80% on the power variations of the olympic lifts

-85-90% (of snatch or clean) on pulls

-Heaviest weight you can sprint « fast » on prowler pushing (no more than 10 sec)

NOTE that for the purpose of the neural charge session, stick to the low end of the methods mentioned

SPEED - STRENGTH
Capacity to produce maximum speed and acceleration against a light resistance. Has a limited capacity to increase strength directly. But it can help an athlete with an inefficient CNS becomes better at quickly recruiting the fast twitch fibers, which eventually can help strength gains.

-Plyometrics
-Jumps and throws
-Loaded jumps (no more than 20-30% of squat or lunge depending on type of jump)

• Barbell lifts with 30-40% for max speed

I’d go more than that. We DO NOT want to turn this into a conditioning or Crossfit session. You should have ZERO metabolic, muscular or neural fatigue accumulating. If you are breathing hard, you are going too fast.

ABSOLUTELY

Especially with people who are naturally explosive. During a deload I will normally use 3 neural charge workouts and 2 regular lifting workouts (maybe 3)

YOU SHOULD NEVER BECOME FATIGUE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM DURING A NEURAL CHARGE SESSION!!!

I call them “interrupted coitus workouts”… when it starts to feel good, get out!

I originally started using neural charge sessions 12 years ago when working with pro hockey players. We would do neural charge workouts in the early afternoon of nightly home games. I also use them as a potentiation session about 3-4 hours prior to a maxing out session.

You can use 1-2 neural charge exercises at the beginning of a workout to amp up the nervous system before lifting heavy

Awesome, thank you for the specific and detailed responses. I rely alot on speed for strength and I can generate acceleration better than the average person so I believe this will be helpful for me. My CNS burns out very quick, so i am hoping this will help me out.

Additionally one last question,

1.) do you think neural charge training could help others increase their ability to make their CNS more efficient at recruiting all fibers to a maximum level? My fiance seems to have the efficiency of generating force like the exmple that you used in a capsule " a woman could bench 90 pounds for 10 but could only bench 100 lbs for one" This is more evident however on upper body exercises, than lower body, likely because she has done heavier lower body exercises for much longer than upper body. I understand the “all or none law” for muscle recruitment, but im looking at the aspect of more efficiently stimulating all the fibers and potentially quicker.

Thank you again