Nettle Root increases DHT

Secoisolariciresinol, a lignan in nettle root displayed a modest inhibitory effect on DHT binding to SHBG in vitro, theoretically resulting in greater concentrations of free DHT in serum and in local tissues. The lignan 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran, also present in nettle root was able to completely inhibit DHT from binding to SHBG, yet another indication that it can result in increased free (active) DHT available to tissues such as that in the scalp.

Planta Med. 1997 Dec;63(6):529-32.

Really?

[quote]gdevine wrote:
Secoisolariciresinol, a lignan in nettle root displayed a modest inhibitory effect on DHT binding to SHBG in vitro, theoretically resulting in greater concentrations of free DHT in serum and in local tissues. The lignan 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran, also present in nettle root was able to completely inhibit DHT from binding to SHBG, yet another indication that it can result in increased free (active) DHT available to tissues such as that in the scalp.

Planta Med. 1997 Dec;63(6):529-32.

Really?[/quote]

That has been my experience with it, despite all the claims that it helps, it seemed to cause my hair loss and I could never really nail down whether or not it helped or hindered.

Thanks for posting this.

I read a ton on this and other boards that Nettle Root suppresses the conversion of T to DHT. This shit just gets more confusing.

This is an art and not a science.

Secoisolariciresinol, a lignan is but one component in nettle root. The overall effect can easily be different than this one component. This appears to be an in vitro study which cannot be directly assumed to represent in vivo actions. You always need to understand such implications.

The only good way to do this would be to take some guys and measure serum DHT levels then have part of the group take nettle root capsules and the other half take dummy pills, then check levels later on and compare. If the main use of nettle root is for prostate enlargement, you would be looking for increases in urine flow rates. Action in the scalp may respond differently to serum or prostate T–>DHT.

We also know that there will always be guys who respond very differently to drugs/herbals.

I was taking nettle root as part of my supplement regime…but not now. I don’t want to suppress T to DHT conversion IF that’s what is going on…

DHT is not evil and is mission critical for libido.