Netbook Suggestions?

I need to pick up a Netbook for work and wanted to get some suggestions from the community. I only really need it to handle email, word processing, and internet, and would like to keep it in the $200-$300 range.

Any suggestions would be great. Also, where do most of you pick up your electronics for the best discounts? Stores? Websites? I’ve heard good things about NewEgg.com, but I’m sure that you tech-heads out there have some great suggestions on where to pick things up on the cheap.

Here’s a little thank you for the help:

www.buy.com or www.tigerdirect.com though I’m liking TD much more lately

Get the one with longest battery life with decent reviews.

How much do you plan on typing on it? The tiny ones are nice, but typing on the mini-keyboard is difficult. Spec-wise, all the brands are pretty much the same. There’s almost always a discount on slickdeals.

I’ve used a Dell and an Acer netbook and overall the Acer was my favorite. The keyboard was easier to type on (the key were more raised if that makes sense), and the screen was nicer. The Dell did have a SSD (solid state drive) instead of a regular hard drive like the Acer so it did have a little bit better battery life.

Newegg usually has the best regular prices on most electronics, but I did see that buy.com has a bunch of re-furb netbooks on sale this week so you may want to check that out. Also since you are in Cali you could always check out Fry’s since they usually have some pretty good deals too.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
I’ve used a Dell and an Acer netbook and overall the Acer was my favorite. The keyboard was easier to type on (the key were more raised if that makes sense), and the screen was nicer. The Dell did have a SSD (solid state drive) instead of a regular hard drive like the Acer so it did have a little bit better battery life.

Newegg usually has the best regular prices on most electronics, but I did see that buy.com has a bunch of re-furb netbooks on sale this week so you may want to check that out. Also since you are in Cali you could always check out Fry’s since they usually have some pretty good deals too.[/quote]

Yea Acer has gotten some of the best reviews in addition to their great pricing, so that’s probably what I will go with. I have a Fry’s close by (Wild West Theme) so I’ll give that a look.

This is what I’m currently leaning towards:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO532h-2588-10-1-Inch-Onyx-Netbook/dp/B0030LTLRO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IC7GKUFICUHN2&colid=2PY1LS3B1OQBT

The Acer Aspire One with the N450 is the SHIT. I work Information Systems so you could call me credible, I’ve ordered two dozen since netbooks became big for various people and serviced atleast forty or fifty in the last year.

I’ve yet to come across one with a hardware fault (they’re damn simple on the inside) and they handle all normal applications with ease (especially that N450). The AspireOne with the N450 and 1GB of RAM is <$300 at your local tech store, guaranteed. If not, they’re cons.

I really wish I had read your post because the one you showed was perfect.

In my professional tone of voice, I’m going to casually suggest you find a way to format that thing with atleast Windows 7 Home Premium or something when you get it. To keep prices so low, all netbook manufacturers package an absurd amount of bloatware with their systems. Once its stripped away, you get a computer thats snappy and gets the chicks.

Okay, I got sucked into it.

I will be getting a Netbook soon, as I can’t hall a tank…I mean Toshiba around anymore when it only gets <1 hr of battery.

I need something light for work and school with a decent battery life. What’s on the market that is good for <$300? I was thinking of going with a Linux OS (Ubuntu to be exact) as well, because I’m starting to get peeved at Windows and its overall suckiness (what is Windows 7 started anyway).

So, what do you guys think? Maybe a refurb would be fine? I just need it for simple stuff (writing, email, internet).

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
Okay, I got sucked into it.

I will be getting a Netbook soon, as I can’t hall a tank…I mean Toshiba around anymore when it only gets <1 hr of battery.

I need something light for work and school with a decent battery life. What’s on the market that is good for <$300? I was thinking of going with a Linux OS (Ubuntu to be exact) as well, because I’m starting to get peeved at Windows and its overall suckiness (what is Windows 7 started anyway).

So, what do you guys think? Maybe a refurb would be fine? I just need it for simple stuff (writing, email, internet).[/quote]

Make sure the netbook’s hardware is compatible with Linux if you go that route. I installed Linux on my toshiba netbook and have had a ton of problems.

West,

NewEgg.com is awesome, because reviews will let you know if someone is a grandma or experienced techie. I would order from here.

(I hate Fry’s despite its convenience)

What will you be using it for mostly?

We bought a few Acers at my job and they’ve been holding up. Don’t buy HP. I’ve had 2 friends who’s HPs died in less than a year. HP honored the warranty, but still.

Personally, I can’t use them. The keyboard is to small. I’d spend the extra $100 and get a cheap laptop if possible.

I keep my eye on http://slickdeals.net/ . They post awesome deals on mostly tech stuff. They don’t sell stuff. It’s just a community of nerds that post links to good deals when we see them along with coupon codes and stuff. I can’t even begin to tell you how much shit I bought because of that site. I’ve seen netbooks on there a few times.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
We bought a few Acers at my job and they’ve been holding up. Don’t buy HP. I’ve had 2 friends who’s HPs died in less than a year. HP honored the warranty, but still.

Personally, I can’t use them. The keyboard is to small. I’d spend the extra $100 and get a cheap laptop if possible.[/quote]

Too heavy, the reason why I want to get one is because they are light weight.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/asus_eee_1215n_review
This is what i bought and its nice to be able to play 1080p movies onto my big screen off my netbook. Highly recommend it.

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/asus_eee_1215n_review
This is what i bought and its nice to be able to play 1080p movies onto my big screen off my netbook. Highly recommend it.[/quote]

That looks awesome, maybe my next one will be something more advance. I’m looking at a refurb ASUS Eee PC. I just need a 8+ hour work horse under <$300.

If you’ve seen one netbook you’ve seen them all, as far as I can tell.

ASUS Eee PC 1005PE-PU17-BK
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7171572&CatId=3988
Specs:
Up to 14 Hours of Battery
250GB hard drive
All 3 Wifi formats, Blue tooth, and Ethernet
2.8 lbs

Once I get Ubuntu on there, I’ll have my war horse ready to go.

ASUS Eee PC 1005PE-PU17-BK Refurbished Netbook
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7171572&CatId=3988
Cost: 259 (total around 347)

Specs (reason I got what I got):
2.8 lbs
Up to 14 hrs of battery life
250GB of storage
Three different WiFi protocols, Bluetooth, and Ethernet
Three USB ports