'Net Carbs'

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
A couple of points I’ll add or maybe fix here.

1. Humans do not have the enzymes to break down fiber, however our gut bacteria does. Our gut bacteria does not break it down to glucose though, it breaks it down to butyrate (short chain fatty acids) at a maximum amount of about 1 gram of butyrate per 10 grams of fiber (or about 1 calorie per gram of fiber).

2. Food items nowadays sometimes remove fiber from the carbohydrates on the label in the first place, so you may find a food item that lists 20 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber that actually has 12 grams of effective carbs, or that has 20 grams of effective carbs (PLUS 8 grams of fiber). You can not just subtract the fiber from the carbs and assume that they used one method or the other. Again fiber is counted in the atwater carb formula as carbs, but the people who do the labelling sometimes keep them in and sometimes take the out. My preference is to take total calories, subtract fat and protein calories and divide by 4. Common industry practice is to list CALORIES as protein x 4, fat x 9 and carb MINUS insoluble fiber x 4 to get the calorie total. Methods and Application of Food Composition Laboratory : USDA ARS

3. Remember as well that fructose, or half of the sugar in a food, if it is not a huge sugar bomb, will never enter circulation and will be turned into other macros. The liver can process about 1 gram of fructose per hour into liver glycogen. It will turn excess into triglycerides and at above about a gram per hour there will be some spillover of fructose into the blood where it is problematic because it causes about 10x the glycation as glucose. If you have a 100 blood glucose and a 1 (mg/dl) blood fructose it is like having a 110 blood sugar. [/quote]

What is your opinion on the consumption of splenda, stevia, etc?

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
Anyone got any tortilla recipes with 50g protein, 30ish grams carbs and 10 g fat? Ill love you long time.[/quote]

Not a tortilla per say but I use this either as a pizza base, or as a flatbread, etc. Easy to do and can add/subtract ingredients depending on your goals, tastes, etc. Posted this elsewhere on the site re low carb pizza base:

2 tbsp. coconut flour
2 tbsp. milled flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (useful binding agent for alternative flours)
1-2 eggs, or one whole plus 1-2 whites (there is no real need for 3 eggs)
garlic and herb salt to taste (greatly helps to give the crust a savoury taste; pepper and other herbs work well too)
1/2 cup of quark
small handful grated cheddar (I go for 50% reduced fat)

The quark makes the batter quite thin so you can thicken it by adding some more coconut flour and/or cheddar. However, this is another advantage for me because it pours like a pancake mix onto the greaseproof paper. You can then let it form into a very thin pizza crust. Bake as instructed.

As mentioned, these steps will significantly lower the overall calories from fat while not affecting the taste.
[/quote]

Awesome man thanks!