NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach

Have you guys heard of NESTA? They offer this new certification called the Fitness Nutrition Coach created by Chris Mohr, MS, RD, PhD (candidate) who I believe has contributed to this site before and writes for a ton of magazines because I keep seeing his name in Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health, and others. I am thinking of getting it since it’s now on sale, so I can learn more about nutrition; I’m assuming it covers a lot of basics about nutrition, but for a beginner, I thought this might be useful for me and my clients. I wanted to hear if there were any other opinions, though, before buying it, even though it’s current sale price is less than I spend on supplements right now. Here is a link:

As far as I can tell Chris Mohr doesn’t differentiate between naturally saturated fats and chemically changed fats.

Maybe a small point but for my $0.02 about nutrition I think it’s important.

Vyapada wrote:
As far as I can tell Chris Mohr doesn’t differentiate between naturally saturated fats and chemically changed fats.

Maybe a small point but for my $0.02 about nutrition I think it’s important.

Vyapada, I was curious how you got this idea or where you saw this information? Was it from previous articles he has written

Yep, he advocates a low saturated fat diet in many of his articles I’ve read on another training site.

In these articles I can’t remember him making the differentiation between naturally saturated and chemically altered saturated fats. Now that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know the difference, but from what I’ve read he doesn’t publicise the difference.

Just so you know my bias - I’m for eating saturated fats in raw nuts and good quality eggs and not being terrified about it in good quality meat, but avoiding highly processed fats.

In all fairness to the nutritional credibility of said esteemed training site, they have articles recommending soy protein.

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
Yep, he advocates a low saturated fat diet in many of his articles I’ve read on another training site.

In these articles I can’t remember him making the differentiation between naturally saturated and chemically altered saturated fats. Now that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know the difference, but from what I’ve read he doesn’t publicise the difference.

Just so you know my bias - I’m for eating saturated fats in raw nuts and good quality eggs and not being terrified about it in good quality meat, but avoiding highly processed fats.

In all fairness to the nutritional credibility of said esteemed training site, they have articles recommending soy protein.[/quote]

This is Chris Mohr. A friend emailed me to tell me this was on the forum, so I thought I’d log on to check it out. As for your concerns, Vyapada, saturated fats surely have their place in the diet; they should comprise about 1/3 of total fat intake, which should be around 30%. Nuts and eggs are great foods, like you mentioned, but neither are tremendously high in SUFA. Egg yolks are around 39% SUFA and and raw nuts are even lower than that…walnuts, for example, are only 10% SUFA. I appreciate the questions re: the NESTA program I created, Leigh. It’s full of solid information on macronutrients, fluids, vitamins/minerals, digestion and is essentially the Clif’s Notes version of nutrition.

For those who are interested in learning more about the NESTA program I created, please email me privately; I don’t want this to turn into an advertisement on the forum.

chris@MohrResults.com

Chris,
thanks for the clarification on your articles.