Nerd Alert: Age of Conan Anyone?

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

Not so fast Rykker! When I played, it was also with the very 1st edition AD&D made by TSR, the original creators of D&D! You will recall Wizards of the Coast later bought out TSR and now own the D&D franchise. However, as I said, all my rules and books (which are treasures to me to this day) were TSR 1st print!

I WIN!![/quote]

HaHa! Maybe I misunderstand the use of the phrase “for the win” (like Makavali says, “I can’t keep up with these young’uns and their slang…”), but I wasn’t attempting to one-up you, dude.

I only meant to exclaim that First Edition AD&D was King of the game; a pencil, notebook paper, graph paper, dice, and the original rules.
That was the D&D way; not the watered-down umpteenth revised versions of the rules that the kids play with these days, with the pre-made character sheets and simplified game-play, and whatever else has changed since the olden days.

I still have my Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook, and a set of dice; haven’t played in ages, though.

Sorry for the continued highjack; back to the Hyborian Age.

I don’t know if you guys are trying to coordinate a certain server for AoC?

How cool would it be to have a guild of T-Men who could (and would) back up shit talking done in game!?

Yeah! a Testosterone guild would be badass. That way, when we’re getting our nerd on, we can still talk about training haha.

[quote]Rykker wrote:

I still have my Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook, and a set of dice; haven’t played in ages, though.

[/quote]

I, my friends, have an original box version of Chainmail…the game Gary Gygax created that kinda sorta led to the creation of Dungeons and Dragons.

Damn. Sen say gets the win. Out nerded us all!

[quote]sen say wrote:
I, my friends, have an original box version of Chainmail…[/quote]

Heh.

“…now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time… a long time.”

I’m kind of sick of the “dwarf, elf, human.” template. AoC looks original and badass.

Guild structure looks like it’s going to be extremely important if you want to be competitive on the server. A T-guild would kick so much ass.

Nothing says T-Man like giant hammers, decapitations, and bar fights!

Ya now if we could only get TC and Shugs to play…now that would be something

[quote]Rykker wrote:
buffd_samurai wrote:
You guys call yourselves nerds? Ha! I’ll tell you what real nerd is like: how about someone who played the game that started it all: Dungeons and Dragons! With the dice, dungeon master, and 3 rule books and all!

The computer games isolate the nerd. Imagine having grand parties full of nerds all participating in the game! All enacting their character and listening intently to the stories and detailed explanations provided by the dungeon master.

Yes folks, I was one of these grand and original nerds way back in the day…but I was quickly becoming one of the nerds with some pretty big arms! ha ha!

First Edition AD&D for the win![/quote]

Hell Yeah!

You guys call yourselves nerds? Ha! I’ll tell you what real nerd is like: how about someone who played the game that started it all: Dungeons and Dragons! With the dice, dungeon master, and 3 rule books and all!

The computer games isolate the nerd. Imagine having grand parties full of nerds all participating in the game! All enacting their character and listening intently to the stories and detailed explanations provided by the dungeon master.

Yes folks, I was one of these grand and original nerds way back in the day…but I was quickly becoming one of the nerds with some pretty big arms! ha ha![/quote]

I lost my thumb to a bad roll!! DAMN YOU 19, I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!

“Conan what is best in life?”

“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women”

[quote]Scrotus wrote:

“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women”[/quote]

“This is good!..this is good.”

[quote]Scrotus wrote:

“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women”[/quote]

I had a buddy who used to chant that repeatedly.

Anyway I’ll pick up the game when my new laptop arrives, I’ll post what server/character name then.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Damn. Sen say gets the win. Out nerded us all![/quote]

I’ll pass the ‘coolest nerd’ banner to anyone that has some of the original clay-ish dice.

Everything is sorted out and I’ll have the game by the weekend, anyone have it/know what server they are going to be on?

I’m looking for a pvp server but I don’t want to go in alone due to it being FFA.

I had not even realized this had come out yet! Currently playing WoW, but man if this isn’t more than a little big intriguing.

“Infidel defilers…they shall all drown in lakes of blood!Now they will know why the are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why the fear then night”

ok I have have been playing for a week ow I the first think I want to say is this game makes WoW look like a county fair after going to Bush Gardens or Disney World. IT IS BIG!! This game is fun as hell. The are still tweking things and will be for a long while but I would have to say this is the best MMO launch i have seen. Again the only down side is that if you dont have a good pc you have to run it on low settings but it still looks good. I can get but with running the game on high and there are points to where it takes the breath away and Im just like …Wow i cant beleave this is a game that shit looks real

Put the WoW down and go pic this up!!

It does look good, I was very impressed with the graphics in this game.

Makes a nice change to actually play a game with a decent story behind it rather than the utter nonsense that wow descended into.

Yes folks, I was one of these grand and original nerds way back in the day…but I was quickly becoming one of the nerds with some pretty big arms! ha ha![/quote]

Hey, if you kept your original brown box in good condition they sell for about a grand these days.

The Acaeum will take you to the places where you can find values for liquidating all your old school stuff :wink:

Q&A With Steve Marsh - Page 8 - Dragonsfoot and similar places will get you together with the old school designers.

They either learned to lift iron or they’ve died.