Neptune Krill Oil

Has anyone tried it?

For those who haven’t heard of it yet:

Krill are shrimp-like crustaceans. Krill oil contains omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, the fatty acids also found in fish oils. Among others, krill oil has a high amount of the potent antioxidant astaxanthin along with small amounts of vitamin A and vitamin E.

Some of the reported advantages compared to fish oil:

• Better absorbed than fish oil (due to the phospholipid bindings which increase the bioavailability of the omega-3s)
  • Superior antioxidant content (fish oil is weak in antioxidant content and as you increase your intake of omega-3 essential fatty acids by consuming fish oil, you actually increase your need for even more antioxidant protection - krill oil possibly solves this dilemma)
  • Virtually pollution-free (krill are at the bottom of the food chain)
  • Krill oil is more stable and more resistant to rancidity than conventional fish oils
  • No aftertaste or fish oil burps

The only downside I am aware of is the price, at least in Austria and surrounding countries. I pay nearly ? 30 for 30 caps, the recommended intake for people over 80kg is 3 caps (3x500mg) a day for the first 4 weeks, then reduce to 2 caps a day.

In case someone is interested…
[i]
J Am Coll Nutr. 2007 Feb;26(1):39-48.
Evaluation of the effect of Neptune Krill Oil on chronic inflammation and arthritic symptoms.
Deutsch L.

Altern Med Rev. 2004 Dec;9(4):420-8.
Evaluation of the effects of Neptune Krill Oil on the clinical course of hyperlipidemia.
Bunea R, El Farrah K, Deutsch L.

Lipids. 1994 Aug;29(8):561-8.
Effects of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids on the activities and expression of hepatic antioxidant enzymes in autoimmune-prone NZBxNZW F1 mice.
Venkatraman JT, Chandrasekar B, Kim JD, Fernandes G.[/i]

sounds interesting, and expensive as hell. This is what the biggest mammals on earth eat, and I know most guys here want to be larger mammals. Hey, I should work in advertising. screw the whales, let’s eat their food.

I’m starting to get a little sceptical at all these claims about super-healthy antioxidants that are found in all kinds of foods these days (mostly plant foods though). While they may be potent antioxidants in a a test tube, do they actually do anything for us once we have eaten them?

Is there any guarantee they won’t do as much harm as good? Our bodies make their own antioxidants, which are adapted through millions of years to our specific needs. Do we need the antioxidants of other organisms?

I have tried it. I like it a lot. I feel a lot less inflammation in my joints, and the best part is no fish oil burps. It does seem to have a low DHA/EPA concentration. So you may need to keep some fish oil in the diet.

I currently take The EFA Icon from www.ryanketchum.getprograde.com
if you want to read more about it go to the site and check out the articles and product info. Not too expensive if you sign up for the autoship program.

Much of the information on krill oil is by the people selling it and they do a good job of marketing it.

That being said, a good krill oil is a good compliment or alternative to a good fish oil to get you desired EPA/DHA.

[quote]icecold wrote:
Much of the information on krill oil is by the people selling it and they do a good job of marketing it.

That being said, a good krill oil is a good compliment or alternative to a good fish oil to get you desired EPA/DHA.[/quote]

I’d rather just eat the little bastards. Oil + protein.

DJ