T Nation

Neighbor Almost Killed Everyone..Update!

smoke billowing up out of the cellar into my kitchen now. My first thought was to grab my roommate and get out before the whole place goes up. Then I realize there’s people on the 2nd and 3rd floor and they may not get out in time. I edge down the stairs and when I get to the basement the smoke is worse. I walk towards the furnace and realize the sound is coming from behind it,from the washing machine.

Now I’m thinking “wtf?? Did someone put cement or a brick in this thing??” So I walk over and gingerly open the lid,…there is so much laundry in it that it’s actually piling up out of the machine. Picture 4 super sized loads, and that’s what was in this normal sized machine. The smoke was from the motor on the machine burning out. We JUST got these fucking things installed a few weeks ago. To their credit I figured it would be 5 days before the morons that live above us ruined it for everyone. Then I notice that the gas line that connects to the dryer runs directly above the washer. If that motor had started a small fire,…kaboom. So I pull the plug on the washer and go back up to my room. I’ve only been in bed about 3 minutes when I hear someone go down the stairs into the cellar. I throw my shoes on and go down there intent on reaming out the jackass that could’ve potentially gotten us all killed.

So I get down there and there’s some glassy eyed girl I’ve never seen standing there in a filthy dress and shirt saying "oh shiiiiiiit’ in a complete monotone. She apparently just moved in,and if I had to guess I’d say she was mentally challenged, or stone. We have this exchange:

Me: "Pro tip: Next time you have to elbow drop your laundry to cram it into the washing machine,split it into 2 loads. Or in this case 4. That smoke is from the fucking motor on the machine burning out. Best case scenario it would’ve just killed the machine. Worst case it would catch itself on fire, or one of the piles of dust and lint, and ignite the gas line that’s going right above the machine and kill all of us.

Girl: “oooooh shiiiiiiiiiit,…I thought I smelled smoke on the 3rd floor,woooooow the machine wasn’t even that fuuuuull,look it didn’t even finish the spin cycle,.what should I do?”

Me: “I’ve never seen that much laundry in a machine before. Split it into several loads and put it through the drier. You probably broke the washing machine. Why are you even doing laundry at 5 in the morning???”

Girl: “It’s 5 in the morning??? My alarm usually goes off at 8”

Me: “So you’re alarm woke you up and you thought it was 8? Didn’t you notice it was dark out?”

Girl: “Alarm? What alarm?”

This girl was high as a fucking kite. So anyway I leave the cellar as she’s cramming her shit into the dryer. I get up the next morning and I can hear the dryer going still. I think to myself “No fucking way that has been going for the last 4 hours.” I have some of my own laundry to do and I want to see if the washing machine is still a fire hazard, or works ok. So I go down there and the girl is by the dryer, looking completely bat-shit stoned still. She’s trying to pull her laundry out of the dryer, but there’s so much she can’t get it out. She didn’t separate it into several loads apparently. Plus it looks like she’s tying several towels into a knot and wrapping a shoe string around them. Imagine if an octopus got a Charlie horse in all 8 legs,.it kind of looked like that. I’m slack jawed at this point, I have no idea what she’s doing. She starts bitching at me and says “don’t look at me while I’m doing this!!!” and keeps struggling with her knots of laundry.

I mean seriously, my roommates and I knew the people upstairs weren’t too bright,they throw full bags of garbage off their porch into the backyard,.break glass bottles all over the sidewalk,randomly bash their fusebox in the cellar for some reason,and occasionally completely trash their apartment. But this takes the cake. I like having a washing machine in the apartment,.but if it’s going to be turned into an incendiary device I’d prefer the landlord just move it out. Do you think I should tell him about this?

Cliffs:

1. Apartment filling up with smoke at 4:30 AM.
  2. Idiot neighbor put ungodly amount of laundry in washer.
  3. Motor started to burn out & smoke.
  4. Gas lines directly above washer.
  5. Neighbor is high as a kite and has no clue what time of day it is.
  6. Gives me attitude next morning

update: I called the landlord, and told him the brief version: stoned girl doing laundry at 4:30 in the morning, basement filling with smoke, almost lighting cellar on fire. He didn’t sound happy about it, said something to the extent of “Oh…that’s REALY nice…” I asked if we could get some smoke detectors and an extinguisher, he’s bringing them over.

Yeah I’d definitely tell the landlord. From what you’ve said about this girl it sounds like she’ll be doing laundry the same way next time. And one of these times nobody’s going to be around to stop her from blowing up the whole building.

I don’t have any advice from you, but I enjoyed the story.

Dude, the cliffnotes were the tits.

Is the stoner girl any good?

definitely tell the landlord, it’s not “snitching” if your motive is to not die in a fire.
stupid neighbors are never fun.

LMAO!

That’s some funny stuff. I live with stupid housemates, so I get to see some dumb things too.

Yeah I co-own an apartment complex… This was a pretty scary incident.

Tell the landlord, for sure. Depending on how well everyone gets on either you can tell the other people about them or have him. He also has to talk to them. The important thing is that these people realize

• they endangered everyone
  • they are abusing substances which if they are caught will get them a run-in with the law.
  • everyone will be watching them from now on

(might even consider putting a smaller fuse on the washer circuit too so it will blow well before it should.)

He should also generously offer to break their lease with no penalty. If he balks point out that a burned down property generates less revenue even than having an empty unit. Of course, if anyone gets hurt because of them (like their garbage hits someone in the head) the liability will bankrupt him really fast.

Don’t be shy about calling the cops on them if they are acting loopy. If there is an incident and you have an audit trail about them you will always have a stronger case. See, they are just having a good time and know they mean no ill, so any time you tell them to improve their behavior, you are just being an ogre. If they’re going to change they are going to really have to hit bottom, so let them. You should limit your interactions with them because they’ll f’ you over on the way down. Seen enough of that… It is not up to you to save them, help them or otherwise aid them. Start setting them up for any ensuing legal activity.

As always, I might just be full of shit…

– jj

That was entertaining.

Yes, tell the landlord! These people are stupid to the point of being a danger to others.

[quote]John Q. Adequate wrote:
Is the stoner girl any good?[/quote]

This is a really important question that has yet to be answered. Further analysis of your situation rests upon this information.

[quote]jj-dude wrote:
Yeah I co-own an apartment complex… This was a pretty scary incident.

Tell the landlord, for sure. Depending on how well everyone gets on either you can tell the other people about them or have him. He also has to talk to them. The important thing is that these people realize

• they endangered everyone
  • they are abusing substances which if they are caught will get them a run-in with the law.
  • everyone will be watching them from now on

(might even consider putting a smaller fuse on the washer circuit too so it will blow well before it should.)

He should also generously offer to break their lease with no penalty. If he balks point out that a burned down property generates less revenue even than having an empty unit. Of course, if anyone gets hurt because of them (like their garbage hits someone in the head) the liability will bankrupt him really fast.

Don’t be shy about calling the cops on them if they are acting loopy. If there is an incident and you have an audit trail about them you will always have a stronger case. See, they are just having a good time and know they mean no ill, so any time you tell them to improve their behavior, you are just being an ogre. If they’re going to change they are going to really have to hit bottom, so let them. You should limit your interactions with them because they’ll f’ you over on the way down. Seen enough of that… It is not up to you to save them, help them or otherwise aid them. Start setting them up for any ensuing legal activity.

As always, I might just be full of shit…

– jj[/quote]

I called him up, and told him the brief version, stoned girl doing laundry at 4:30 in the morning, basement filling with smoke, almost lighting cellar on fire. He didn’t sound happy about it, said something to the extent of “Oh…that’s REALY nice…” I asked if we could get some smoke detectors and an extinguisher, he’s bringing them over.

[quote]Otep wrote:
John Q. Adequate wrote:

This is a really important question that has yet to be answered. Further analysis of your situation rests upon this information.[/quote]

NOooooooo. She was this chubby, dirty looking girl with what might’ve been burn marks all over her arms. I wasn’t looking that hard at them, but they might’ve been cigarette burns. Plus the filthy dress and filthy shirt she was wearing just added to her ambiance. yeesh.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I called him up, and told him the brief version, stoned girl doing laundry at 4:30 in the morning, basement filling with smoke, almost lighting cellar on fire. He didn’t sound happy about it, said something to the extent of “Oh…that’s REALY nice…” I asked if we could get some smoke detectors and an extinguisher, he’s bringing them over. [/quote]

Think about printing my note off and handing it too him with the lead in of “some random asshole on the internet sent me this.” He’ll get the message and hopefully not resent you for pointing a few things out to him. In short point a finger at me and look helpfully innocent. Besides, you don’t want him trying to conscript you as his goon to watch these people (at least without a cushy retainer and a great benefits package, right?)

Fire extinguishers work great – if you can get to them…

– jj

So did you bang the girl?

Good story.

Stick it in her pooper.

Squats & Milk.

In her pooper.

congragulations you have white trash junkie neighbors. its like massachusetts state law your neighbors will either be obnoxious white trash or obnoxious hatians.

i wish i had asian neighbors. theyre so quiet. they may do random construction projects which seem to always involve a fence and smell a bit but unless the dad is flipping out on everyone theyre pretty quiet.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
Otep wrote:
John Q. Adequate wrote:

This is a really important question that has yet to be answered. Further analysis of your situation rests upon this information.

NOooooooo. She was this chubby, dirty looking girl with what might’ve been burn marks all over her arms. I wasn’t looking that hard at them, but they might’ve been cigarette burns. Plus the filthy dress and filthy shirt she was wearing just added to her ambiance. yeesh. [/quote]

well dude what did you expect her to be wearing…it was laundry day.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
congragulations you have white trash junkie neighbors. its like massachusetts state law your neighbors will either be obnoxious white trash or obnoxious hatians.

i wish i had asian neighbors. theyre so quiet. they may do random construction projects which seem to always involve a fence and smell a bit but unless the dad is flipping out on everyone theyre pretty quiet.[/quote]

we had some really trashy neighbors and then we moved to a private community thing… I think we are the trashy neighbors now LOL! The people here never leave their houses ever and everyone spends a ton of money on lawn care ect.

The woman across the street is like 70 and every week during the summer A professional came and cut the lawn and trimmed the bushes ect

The girl sounds like my brothers old live in girlfriend… she was an idiot! One time she actually made brownies…made a huge mess and when we told her to clean it up all she could say was she made brownies!

which she then took the whole pan into her room. She drank heavily and smoked in her room… hundreds of fag butts when she left