Negatives Only?

Eccentric training does not force adaptation in ligaments and tendons – only speed-strength training (lifting the weight fast – max effort, accelerating the weight with inertia assisting) can do that.

But eccentric training does increase the severity of the overload and thus requires an increased time for recovery. If spaced between other workouts de-emphasizing the eccentric portion, it can be effective.

I think negatives are best used with bodyweight exercises. I have noticed the trend with y’alls post and my own experience (GHR). When i started out doing GHRs I could only do the negative portion of it, now I can do the first few reps of each set without my hands helping me up. I will say that since it’s a BW exercise it’s not taxing the CNS, but it does give some nasty DOMS. However, I am able to do GHR five times a week no problem, just had to put up with the DOMS for about a week and then my body adapted. I’m not saying they don’t make me sore any more, but just that it’s not anything like it used to be. I’m also completely warmed up and they’re usually in the middle of my workout (which I think helps with loosening up the soreness, if that makes sense).

[quote]buzza wrote:
phil hernon too is a fan negative/eccentric work,I have done for a while negative only reps on flat bench (after my regular sets) with 130% of my 1rm,soreness was deep :-),I quit because as I train alone I had to de-load the bar ,lift,rack it,re-load ,go under the bar…rest between reps was about 40s,too much for my taste…[/quote]

Hernon style ‘negatives’ needs a partner to push against the negative and allow the lifter to finish the positive phase unaided.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
I’ll say this statement and let you interpret it how you will:

I see lots of people (mainly “bros”) who look like they’ve never lifted before, doing these long negatives with weight. I never see huge, accomplished lifters doing them.[/quote]

Yeah, usually Bros. After a 20+ session of squart rack curls.

Why not just try and experiment with it? If you ask 100 people, obviously, you’ll get different answers citing many, and some very valid sources.

I personally have never done negatives only training. And for the person who argued that Dorian Yates talked about the importance of negatives, did Dorian actually do a “negative only” training phase? I believe he just emphasized the importance of controlling the weight on the eccentric part of the lift.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
phil hernon too is a fan negative/eccentric work,I have done for a while negative only reps on flat bench (after my regular sets) with 130% of my 1rm,soreness was deep :-),I quit because as I train alone I had to de-load the bar ,lift,rack it,re-load ,go under the bar…rest between reps was about 40s,too much for my taste…[/quote]

Hernon style ‘negatives’ needs a partner to push against the negative and allow the lifter to finish the positive phase unaided. [/quote]

i know but doing it alone it’s a bit OUT of my capacities LOL

I’m not asking whether or not i should do them… because i am doing them… I was more curious as to what anyone else has experienced and/or any scientific negation or affirmation. thanks guys

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

Hernon style ‘negatives’ needs a partner to push against the negative and allow the lifter to finish the positive phase unaided. [/quote]

i know but doing it alone it’s a bit OUT of my capacities LOL
[/quote]

I was just pointing out that a Hernon negative isn’t a ‘negative only’ movement.