Negatives of Anti Inflam. Meds?

I’ve been lifing heavy for about 20 years. Due to heavy benching, my left rotator cuff always gives me problems. I’ve done rotator work and it’s helped, and I’ve used flax seed oil and that’s helped too, but for some reason lately my shoulder’s been acting up again.

I’ve decided to use ibuprofen only just before doing chest once per week. I was wondering how bad this is in light of the fact that anti infammatories reduce the anabolic response from training. I figure two tablets once a week shouldn’t completely negate my training right?

first of all, sais who? who came up with this bullshit. some of the biggest most jacked guys i have ever know were competitive pl who lived of buckets of NSAIDS just to get through training.

you honestly think “THEY” did a study where they took a group of HYOOOOGE lifters, put them on a large dosage of ibuprofin, and over a period of weeks wathced them shrivel down to nothing??? haha.

The blunt anaolic response is the last thing I’d be worrying about.

I’d say it’s bad in light of the fact that if you keep this up you’re going to need surgery.

There are conflicting ideas about whether or not the anti-inflammatory effects of NSAIDs (like ibuprofen) interfere with muscle growth stimulation by inhibiting prostaglandins.

Only taking 1 tablet before your workout is unlikely to do this much, if at all. It takes several days of multiple dosing to get to anti-inflammatory therapeutic blood levels of NSAIDs. With one tablet, once in a while, all you get is a brief, pain relief effect.

I rarely take them, but will take Tylenol instead for pain and DOMS.

I had my shoulder injected this week for chronic impingement syndrome/ subacromial bursitis. It may be of benefit to you. I administer shoulder injections, but I won’t do them more than twice a year. It’s something to discuss with your doctor.

For several months I was taking 10-14 naproxen a day! Due to various aches and pains. In the end I did end up taking a couple months layoff. Now I use ample amounts of fish and flax along with almost daily hot tub therapy.

I also have corrected my strength imbalances upper back and external rotators to internal rotators as well as abs to spine erectors. Now I’m lifting as heavy as six months ago without using or feeling the need to use pain pills

Eric Cressey addressed this a year or so ago. Here’s a link to what he had to say:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=763972

Get your liver counts checked.

Get your liver counts checked

Is there a correlation between liver values and joint pain?

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:

Is there a correlation between liver values and joint pain?[/quote]

no between many NSAIDs and liver damage.

true

They can also cause upper GI bleeds.

[quote]Phill wrote:
benchaffleck wrote:

Is there a correlation between liver values and joint pain?

no between many NSAIDs and liver damage.

[/quote]

Phil’s correct here. If you are worried about organ injury from NSAIDs, have your kidney functions and a urinalysis checked and drink enough water so your urine is essentially colorless.

Be aware that if you are taking a lot of protien, your BUN levels will be elevated, but it does not necessarily mena anything is wrong with your kidneys.

Until recently, I’ve really never taken anti-inflammatories. Even now I’ll only take them before I flat bench heavy which is usually only once per week and I only take a maximum of 3-4 over-the-counter tablets of ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

I’d be less concerned with potential inhibition of muscle growth or possible NSAID side effects than I would be about masking pain to train and so possibly making the root cause of the pain worse. Possibly much worse.

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:
Until recently, I’ve really never taken anti-inflammatories. Even now I’ll only take them before I flat bench heavy which is usually only once per week and I only take a maximum of 3-4 over-the-counter tablets of ibuprofen or acetaminophen.[/quote]

Really, don’t exceed the maximum suggested dosage for acetaminophen. I know it’s OTC and therefore everyone assumes that they can swallow it like tic-tacs, but people have really screwed up their livers even without taking a huge overdose. If the max. recommended dose isn’t giving you the pain relief you need, you’d be better off using something else.

IANAD, but I got a very stern lecture on this subject from my doctor.