Negatives Help With 1 Arm Pull-Ups?

Will negative one arm pull-ups help with true one arm pull-ups? Also, can overtraining be possible from these?

I really want to be able to do one arm pull ups so I have started doing one arm negatives. I’m doing 5 sets of 3 to 4 reps with 6-8 second negatives. Now I know there are strength coaches that are against going to failure I guess to avoid the possibility of overtraining. This is the only back exercise I will do per week.

Is this still not a good idea since they are negatives which is kind of like going past failure? Also will doing these negatives help me do true one arm pull ups even though I am not doing any of the concentric portion or actual pulling up part of the lift?

http://beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm

I’ve been doing the negatives, making (very)slow and steady progress. I’ve just started doing quarter reps, so we’ll see how that goes.

Xen did negatives for a while and just completed one.

In addition to beastskills, check out the bodyweight articles on dragondoor.com

[quote]uberswank wrote:
I’ve been doing the negatives, making (very)slow and steady progress. I’ve just started doing quarter reps, so we’ll see how that goes.

In addition to beastskills, check out the bodyweight articles on dragondoor.com [/quote]

Do you think that negatives help much with strength as they relate to regular chin ups/pull ups?

My goal isn’t to do a ARC because they seem too akward to me, but rather a double bodyweight pull-up.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
uberswank wrote:

In addition to beastskills, check out the bodyweight articles on dragondoor.com

Do you think that negatives help much with strength as they relate to regular chin ups/pull ups?
[/quote]

Yes very much so. Coach Sommer over at crossfit agree’s as well…

I dunno about a 1 arm chin being ‘awkward’ but whatever tickles your pickle. A 2 arm bw chin is pretty approachable… train it westside style personally: me day, rep day, with assistance exercises and maintain your other lifts.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

I dunno about a 1 arm chin being ‘awkward’ but whatever tickles your pickle. A 2 arm bw chin is pretty approachable… train it westside style personally: me day, rep day, with assistance exercises and maintain your other lifts.

[/quote]

So how do the negatives fit in with a WSB style routine?

As for the OAC… it’s just not my thing. I have enough problems with strength imbalaces on barbell movements and don’t need to contribute to this. Plus… I just want to be able to do twice bodyweight. So far I can do 145@188, but now the pounds are harder to come by. I haven’t been able to hit 150 for awhile now…

BTW: Doing these has really helped my bench and deadlift.

Yea your other lifts jump up incredibly when you strengthen your lats/upperback.

um. Seriously bro, 1 arm chin up training would probably get rid of any imbalances that you have. But whatever… lets get back to what you want.

Use the negatives like an ME exercise

The area that you’re sticking in your weighted chinup, focus on going very slowly in that area. Also if it’s a certain sticking point you can do an isometric hold for time on that point.

after a warmup, 3-4 sets is all you need for this… you can overtrain SO easily. and believe me the tendonitis you get from being over eager with this is no fucking joke.

variations for you to play with:

• negatives through the entire rom
  • iso-holds
  • negative, stopping at isometric point (holding), then continuing with negative

This will help, and you can pretty much use the same variations for your weighted pullup as well. (Exaggerated negatives, iso holds, etc).

I did something like

negatives
weighted pullups
re pullups (30-50; diff hand positions every 10-15reps)

Sometimes I’d leave the repetition work out, or if my negatives felt shitty I would skip weighted pullups and even re pullup work, and do 1 arm pulldowns (like 5-15reps)

If you’re going to do it fully westside style (2 days for your weighted chin) I’d do something like the following:

(a)ME: Negatives, weighted chin, whatever
(b)1 arm lat pulldowns or pullup variation (3x8)
(c)Overhead press (4x6)
(d)cheat curls/hise shrugs with dbbells (5x10)
→ try to use the same dbells for D, and never releasing ur grip. Helps your supporting grip. If you’re using a barbell for your cheat curls ignore this.

(a)RE: Pullups all sorts of different hand positions go for 100reps total
(b)Dumbbell Bench press/Bent Row (5x5/5)
(c)skull crusher/Muscle snatch (5x5/15)
→ something else if you’re fresh. If your grip feels coo, I’d do some grip work.

For the 1 arm chin specifically. This is still a lot of work, and can lead to tendonitis if you dont pay attention to your body. 1 arm chin is probably better pavel style and just bust out 1-2 negatives like 10x a day … but thats just not do-able for most people.

and for your weighted chinup, this has worked for me in the past…

Xen Nova wrote:

So how do the negatives fit in with a WSB style routine?

As for the OAC… it’s just not my thing. I have enough problems with strength imbalaces on barbell movements and don’t need to contribute to this. Plus… I just want to be able to do twice bodyweight. So far I can do 145@188, but now the pounds are harder to come by. I haven’t been able to hit 150 for awhile now…

BTW: Doing these has really helped my bench and deadlift.

[/quote]

Oh, and if your overhead press is shitty… then that will halt your progress as well.

to conquer this VERY quickly-

if you can make parallettes… make them with thicker pvc (like 3-4in, vs 1 for instance), and do full range handstand pushups.

The thicker grip will activate more motor units (speaking of which)

more pullup variations
-weighted towel chinups
-weighted thick bar pullups

Thanks for the interesting training ideas. I might throw some of them into the mix.
Just out of curiousity, what is your best weighted chin-up and at what bodyweight?

180@180

(fyi, i kind of jumped into the rep so i cheated a bit…nursed tendonitis for quite a long time after though)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
180@180[/quote]

So you did 2X bodyweight… That is impressive.

The other night I tried a negative with 190. Whew! I could barely stop gravity from dropping me like a brick. I guess that these 45 or so pounds will be tough to come by.

Anyway… I haven’t done WSB to get where I am at. I don’t like the idea of doing that much ME work on my shoulder socket on top of ME for benching.

I just do a rotation of rep schemes that is kind of complicated. Like I said, the pounds are coming, but just more slowly.

Xen Nova wrote:
180@180

So you did 2X bodyweight… That is impressive.

The other night I tried a negative with 190. Whew! I could barely stop gravity from dropping me like a brick. I guess that these 45 or so pounds will be tough to come by.

Anyway… I haven’t done WSB to get where I am at. I don’t like the idea of doing that much ME work on my shoulder socket on top of ME for benching.

I just do a rotation of rep schemes that is kind of complicated. Like I said, the pounds are coming, but just more slowly.

[/quote]

For the time that you’d do my little set up you wouldn’t be doing any ME benching.