Negative Only Training

Dr. Darden,

You have written about negative only where the partner assists on the positive and the trainee performs the negative with about 40% more weight and this is performed for about 8 reps

And also where you perform one rep for about 60 seconds, i.e. chins or dips

I am curious instead of doing either…has anyone ever perform one set of about 6 to 8 exercises of one negative rep for approximately 90 seconds?

Thanks, dan

I’m not aware that anyone has tried a one-rep negative for 90 seconds on 6 to 8 exercises. I’ve had two of my trainees do 75 seconds on a negative chin and negative dip for one rep.

Dan, why don’t you try what you are suggesting?

I think I will try it…how would you determine the selection of weight?

As a starting point, I’d say to take half of what you’d normally use for 10 reps. This will probably be too light, but it’s a number to begin with.

Well I tried this for a week…very tedious and hard to keep the focus for 90 second negative only on six exercises…not for me

2 Likes

I am very interested in ‘negative’ training; however, my mindset for that is not at all spending such a long time as 90 seconds on the eccentric part of a movement. That just doesn’t seem to fit the description and function to me. Using squats as an example, it’s more like, say, 15 seconds going down - and with so much weight that 1) It is necessary to have spotters for safety - and to help you get back up (and you should in order to do additional reps) and 2) You have to exert so much control on the descent that you can barely keep from ‘free-falling’. Adjust accordingly for other exercise movements.

THAT is the real deal, folks. It’s the weight – not a minute and a half of descent with, say, 40% more weight than you do on concentric moves of the movement.

Jesse Lee