T Nation

Needle Disposal

[quote]ballbuster wrote:
needles just cap them and tyhrow them in the trash, same with syringes just take the needles off and make sure they are capped, no law against throwing them away[/quote]

That sounds a little sketchy to me, what state are you from?

You suck bushboy. Got to love the UK.

bis

[quote]timhlbrk wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Well, being as I live in the UK, where we possibly have a more ‘enlightened’ approach to these things, I get my sharps bin taken from me at the local needle exchange.

They also give me free needles, barrels, insulin syringes, swabs, amp snappers, sterile water and of course, more sharps bins.

Also, they always seem happy to see me, probably because I make a point of being polite and friendly, which is I suspect, a massive contrast to their usual ‘customers’, lol.

bushy

It must be great to live in the U.K.!!!
[/quote]

but at the end of the day you’re still British

[quote]timhlbrk wrote:
ballbuster wrote:
needles just cap them and tyhrow them in the trash, same with syringes just take the needles off and make sure they are capped, no law against throwing them away

That sounds a little sketchy to me, what state are you from?[/quote]

I live in Illinois. My nurse told me that I could get a sharps container or just use an empty coffee can. She said when the can was filled to just put the lid on and duct tape it a lot then toss it in the garbage. She said it sounded odd that we could just throw away needles like that, but apparently that’s what she was told. I just follow the advice above: cap the needle, remove needle from tube, throw in trash.

JC

[quote]1fastford wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
etaco wrote:

A 10% solution of household bleach and water will inactivate most blood bourne pathogens (including HIV). So if you can’t find a proper site, aspirate the Clorox solution into the needle and barrel before you put them into a solid, puncture proof container for trash disposal.

Do this only if you cannot find a method of proper biohazardous waste disposal and remember… you did NOT hear this from me!!!

Would this really be a viable concern if you dont have any diseases?? Sure 10% bleach would kill any pathogens but if there arent any there to begin with isnt it a bit overkill?
I was just putting mine in the trash bag. I capped them and put them back in the wrapper and in the trash.

[/quote]
Only if you are 100% sure you are disease free. I would always use a coffee can to avoid puncture wounds for the trash guys, though.

Ive personally done the duct tape the heck out of an old protien container and send it to the landfill.
See Ya

I live so far out in BFE that we still have burn pits - 4 feet across and 35-40 feet deep. I just throw mine in the hole.

Some times I get drunk and miss - but that keeps the kids from playing around the burn pit.

C’mon - that was funny.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I live so far out in BFE that we still have burn pits - 4 feet across and 35-40 feet deep. I just throw mine in the hole.

Some times I get drunk and miss - but that keeps the kids from playing around the burn pit.

C’mon - that was funny. [/quote]

You’re a sick puppy LOL…

Speaking of such things: Why do they state to not cap the needle when placing in a sharps container?

My injectable medications come with instructions to use a liquid laundry detergent container, put the lid on tightly and tape when full then put in the landfill.

Myself, I just buy a sharps container and drop it off at the hospital for inceneration when it’s full. Since I’m on multiple legal prescribed injectable meds it’s not a problem. The folks at the hospital don’t know your private personal medical history - how do they know you aren’t a diabetic, an MS patient, an ALS, AIDS patien, on prescribed TRT??? They aren’t going to go through the box to see what residue is in your syringes.

Why do you not recap? Because you might stick yourself. It’s just part of the standard infection control procedure. If I give you an injection and recap the needle I may stick myself - then I’ve got whatever you’ve got (I assume everyone is infected with all communicable diseases). So I put it straight into the sharps box. Injecting yourself at home - no problem to recap - it’s just your body fluids in the needle, no one else’s.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.