Needle Disposal

Alright ladies and gentlemen,
What is the recommended method of disposal for spent needles/syringes?
Do I buy a sharps container? What do I do with THAT when it’s full?
I hope this isn’t a question with an obvious answer that I am somehow overlooking. I really would appreciate some help here.
Thanks all,
Tim

Anyone???

I hand mine out to the crackheads in the park, j/k homey…I was in the same boat til I found a nurse friend who said she’d get rid of them at the hospital for me…in all honesty it will take a few cycles to fill up one of those sharp containers though…I think I’ve got like 26 needles in mine right now and it is not even a quarter full.

Well, I do know how I’d get rid of them if they’re not supposed to be thrown away in the trash (don’t know if they are or not).

I go to hospitals and labs to certify their BSC’s and they always have sharps containers in their Pharmacies.

You could pose as a certifier, then go in and place your sharps container next to theirs when nobody’s looking, then go out and ask if this is (insert made up hospital name here), then look embarassed and say you got the wrong hospital.

Only would work once at each hospital though.

Thanks, still wondering what to do when full though.

I’ve been dropping the needles in an old Flameout bottle and keeping the syringes and other incriminating items in some baggies. Once I’ve filled a couple flamout bottles (years), I’ll find a needle disposal site and get rid of them. There was a website listed on this forum or another one that had needle disposal sites listed by state. I’ll try to track that down for you if I can.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Well, I do know how I’d get rid of them if they’re not supposed to be thrown away in the trash (don’t know if they are or not).

I go to hospitals and labs to certify their BSC’s and they always have sharps containers in their Pharmacies.

You could pose as a certifier, then go in and place your sharps container next to theirs when nobody’s looking, then go out and ask if this is (insert made up hospital name here), then look embarassed and say you got the wrong hospital.

Only would work once at each hospital though.[/quote]

If you had a look at me you would KNOW that I wasn’t there to certufy ANYTHING! LOL
Peace brother

[quote]timhlbrk wrote:
Thanks, still wondering what to do when full though.[/quote]

Maybe wrap the sharps container in duct tape and throw it away in regular trash?

It may technically be a “biohazard”, but I don’t see a difference with that and throwing a bloody rag away thay was used to stop some minor bleeding.

Is it bad form to throw them in the trash if they are in a solid container where they won’t poke through. It’s all going to a land fill, right.

[quote]etaco wrote:
I’ve been dropping the needles in an old Flameout bottle and keeping the syringes and other incriminating items in some baggies. Once I’ve filled a couple flamout bottles (years), I’ll find a needle disposal site and get rid of them. There was a website listed on this forum or another one that had needle disposal sites listed by state. I’ll try to track that down for you if I can.[/quote]

Good looking out, I appreciate it bro.
Tim

Alot of pharmacies and drug stores offer safe needle disposals. If you ask them for a container or buy a container, they will usually dispose of for free.

Maxx P,
Think I might try that one. I live in a small town, so I’ll have to use a pharmacy somewhere else,everybody knows your business here! I think this might be ok.
Thanks,
Tim

Speaking of Needle Disposal.
Here are a few rules.

• Never dispose of a needle in the trash.
  • Dont use needles at the gym.

Seems stupid, but just today they had to put up signs at our gym complaining about some assholes puting needles in the trash.
I couldnt imagine the fear of finding an unknown needle in a trash or worse, getting poked by one.

BTW, I was wondering why they need to poke themselves at the gym? Is it SLIN that needs to be administered so soon?

[quote]maxx power wrote:
Is it SLIN that needs to be administered so soon?[/quote]

usually, some like to site inject esterless compounds also, either way the lack of discretion is weak. i remember some idiots who were using slin and bragging about it back in the day (when i was still in high school a decade ago). its a good thing most people are ignorant of these happenings, i think it would blow their minds

btw, i go to the needle exchange down the street from me. funniest thing, they try to guess what i might be using, but its probably going to be obvious next week. once they told me to beat it since i brought in ten pins, so i went outside and came back with one, got a fresh one, went outside again, repeated process twice, and after the third time, they gave in and just exchange all the rest of the pins. saved 2 dollars and a trip to walmart which is the only place that will sell them to me without a hassle.

find out where diabetics take theirs

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Well, being as I live in the UK, where we possibly have a more ‘enlightened’ approach to these things, I get my sharps bin taken from me at the local needle exchange.

They also give me free needles, barrels, insulin syringes, swabs, amp snappers, sterile water and of course, more sharps bins.

Also, they always seem happy to see me, probably because I make a point of being polite and friendly, which is I suspect, a massive contrast to their usual ‘customers’, lol.

bushy[/quote]

It must be great to live in the U.K.!!!

[quote]etaco wrote:
I’ve been dropping the needles in an old Flameout bottle and keeping the syringes and other incriminating items in some baggies. Once I’ve filled a couple flamout bottles (years), I’ll find a needle disposal site and get rid of them. There was a website listed on this forum or another one that had needle disposal sites listed by state. I’ll try to track that down for you if I can.[/quote]

A 10% solution of household bleach and water will inactivate most blood bourne pathogens (including HIV). So if you can’t find a proper site, aspirate the Clorox solution into the needle and barrel before you put them into a solid, puncture proof container for trash disposal.

Do this only if you cannot find a method of proper biohazardous waste disposal and remember… you did NOT hear this from me!!!

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
etaco wrote:

A 10% solution of household bleach and water will inactivate most blood bourne pathogens (including HIV). So if you can’t find a proper site, aspirate the Clorox solution into the needle and barrel before you put them into a solid, puncture proof container for trash disposal.

Do this only if you cannot find a method of proper biohazardous waste disposal and remember… you did NOT hear this from me!!!

[/quote]

Would this really be a viable concern if you dont have any diseases?? Sure 10% bleach would kill any pathogens but if there arent any there to begin with isnt it a bit overkill?
I was just putting mine in the trash bag. I capped them and put them back in the wrapper and in the trash.

Maybe this is my ignorance on the subject showing it just dosent seem all that important to me when I am only using 1-3 a week max.

needles just cap them and tyhrow them in the trash, same with syringes just take the needles off and make sure they are capped, no law against throwing them away