Need Wrestling Assessment Information

I am trying to get ideas on what to test a wrestler on. Is there specific lifts or drills that if they improve on, it will carry over to the sport?

For example I know in most football arenas they look at squat, deadlift, bench press, powerclean, 40 yard dash, and maybe some type of agility drill.

Any help on putting together an assessment for a wrestler would be greatly appreciated. Any websites that I could go read articles on this would also be helpful.

Thanks

Qhams

We basically do a load of heavy olympic exercises. Anything from jump shrugs to power clean. I think T-Nation have some programs for serious athletes if you use the advanced search bar above and pick article. I pretty much just do compound and very very few and rarely any isolation exercises.

Btw, you looking for just strength or conditioning as well?

Well, with all respect, I think it would be a far better use of your time to simply watch them wrestle. Watching them actually roll, and then do technique would be the most beneficial.

However, other than that, wrestlers give me the hardest time when they are explosive and fast. I’d test their vertical leap, reactive vertical jump (have them jump max high, land, and jump as high as they can again, touching as little time as possible on the ground. measure the 2nd jump).

Of course, as with all measurements, you’ll have some trouble because you don’t have a big database to compare measurables to. In football, it is known what a ‘good’ 40 time is etc. So I dunno what you’ll do about that.

Wait… So you’re a personal training who accepted a wrestler as a client, but who doesn’t know WTF he’s doing?

Did you fully disclose that to your client before you cashed the check?

crossfit, as in take a WOD and baseline it then beat your record. “Fran” is murderous. 21-15-9 thrusters/pullups. PUKEFEST

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Wait… So you’re a personal training who accepted a wrestler as a client, but who doesn’t know WTF he’s doing?

Did you fully disclose that to your client before you cashed the check? [/quote]

Actually it is for an open book exam I am taking. I have an idea of what to do for strength and conditioning. One of the questions on my test is how would you evaluate your client. I have never worked with a wrestler and know very little about the sport. I have been looking online for books or articles on how to evaluate a wrestler and have had little to no luck.

I’d try posting your question on the message board (under the coaching forum) here: