T Nation

Need to Start Cutting Fat.

ok so i need to start cutting fat. i started working out regularly about 2 months ago. i got considerably stronger. now i weight 172lbs. and i’m 5’7". around how many calories do i need a day to lose fat? i workout with free weights 3-4 times a week. and do cardio(punching bag) once in a while. any way i colud lose fat and gain a little bit more muscle?.

You’ve been working put for two months and you want to cut?

Stop bullshitting. If you cut now you’ll lose whatever tiny amount of muscle you gained in the last two months.

5’7 and 172 is not big or fat. Keep lifting and eating. If you’re really so concerned, clean your diet up more, but don’t stop eating.

I have no plans to cut until I at least reach 185 or 190, and I’m 5’6.

You need to eat exactly 194239.5 calories vote for Pedro and all of your wildest fitness dreams will come true!

I kid, I kid. My friend there isn’t one easy answer to your question that will provide exactly what you want. What you need to do as a beginner is READ and educate yourself. Start here if you are serious:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Good luck,

D

so there no way to cut fat while keeping the muscle i got even if i keep lifting?

What there I guess trying to say without really saying it is that you dont need a dedicated cut at 2 months training. you need to keep lifting and build muscle you have nothing to cut to. If your to fat clean the diet up a touch and lift your new and should be able to pack on LBMK as well as lose fat.

A cut now would leave you in sad shape as you have nothing to cut to. be consistant keep lifting and the physique qill follow.

i dont’t real think you have any muscle to keep. having 14 inch arms isn’t having “muscle”. 2 months is not a bulk for a newbie. Go bulk for a year gain 30 pounds and get back to us with the question. by the way whats your body fat?

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
so there no way to cut fat while keeping the muscle i got even if i keep lifting?[/quote]

Spend even five minutes on this site and maybe you’ll find the answer to this question…

What you may want to do is lose the fat first, then try bulking. Use of the work “cutting” gets everybody worked up around here.

This is similar to what I just posted in another area:

1-Figure out how many calories you’re eating right now: keep a food log for three or four days.

2-Read, understand, and follow Dr. Berardi’s Seven Habits rules:

http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=459493

This is the starting point for both gaining mass and losing fat.

3-Keep up a good lifting program.

3-Decrease your calories by 100 per day for two or three weeks. See what happens. Look in the mirror. How much fat did you lose? How much weight?

If you look okay, decrease your calories by another 100 per day, for two or three weeks. Keep this up until you reach any goal you have. It may take a year, but it’s worth it to keep the muscle lose at a minimum.

Are you going to lose some muscle? Yes. But it will be minimized. After you’ve lost the fat, then reverse the cycle.

Good luck.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
What you may want to do is lose the fat first, then try bulking. Use of the work “cutting” gets everybody worked up around here.

This is similar to what I just posted in another area:

1-Figure out how many calories you’re eating right now: keep a food log for three or four days.

2-Read, understand, and follow Dr. Berardi’s Seven Habits rules:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

This is the starting point for both gaining mass and losing fat.

3-Keep up a good lifting program.

3-Decrease your calories by 100 per day for two or three weeks. See what happens. Look in the mirror. How much fat did you lose? How much weight?

If you look okay, decrease your calories by another 100 per day, for two or three weeks. Keep this up until you reach any goal you have. It may take a year, but it’s worth it to keep the muscle lose at a minimum.

Are you going to lose some muscle? Yes. But it will be minimized. After you’ve lost the fat, then reverse the cycle.

Good luck. [/quote]

your link doesn’t work

works for me its the “7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs” article do a search

I do agree its a great article for anyone but still feel you have NO reason to do a cut just nailing a diet and hard training and let things work them selves out for a few years will serve you MUCH better.