T Nation

Need to Put on Muscle/Bulk

Hi i’m 23 years of age and i started weight training again after a 2 year break due to some probs i had. anyhow i started weights in oct 2007 then stopped after like 3 months of training, then again started in somewhere around may 2008 stopped again after 3 months and then from there onwards i just used to workout at home nothing intense or rough just to stay healthy.

however i started weight training again last month 26 oct 2009 to be precise and i wanna keep going this time and not stop in 3 months :slight_smile: i want to know the best way to bulk up in terms of diet and rest etc.

i don’t know jack shit about weights although a little here and there and i need help since most threads i see say “eat more” i don’t really know how much. i’m from sri lanka and most foods that body builders need are hard to find here.

so i would like to know from you all a good diet plan on how to put on mass. and if there’s any other info you need to figure my case out please ask so i can get back to you. again i’m a newbie and don’t know squat so please don’t bash :slight_smile: thank you.

Read Stickies at the top of the page.

Pick a good program, lift, eat, sleep, repeat.

If you want a more specific answer, ask about a program or a diet or some such thing. Your question is too general.

[quote]Thushz wrote:

i don’t know jack shit about weights although a little here and there and i need help since most threads i see say “eat more” i don’t really know how much. i’m from sri lanka and most foods that body builders need are hard to find here. [/quote]

what foods can’t you get? milk, eggs, meat, carbs, lentils/beans, they should be in abbundance?
and yeah, read through the site and beginners section, you’ll find all you need.

good luck

1. Type Pound O Week Diet into the search engine
  2. Read it and follow it for 20 weeks (lets see how committed you are)
  3. Pick a program and work your ass off in the gym (if you can carry on a conversation about anything, you’re not working hard enough)…

if there is a shortage of meat then im sure there is plenty of fish, and if you dont have wheat of flour then rice will do fine, just read through the articles

Good place to start for a begginer I belive is

Calories = body weight in lb x 16 + 20% eg. I weigh 180lb. So 180 x 16 = 2880 + 20% = 3456 cals a day.
Protein = About 1.5g of protein for every lb of body weight. Eg for me at 180 = 270g of protein a day
Carbs = bodyweight x 2 - 3
Fat = body weight / 2

Im sure others will dissagree but after all the reading up I did this is what I came up with. But this is just a base if you exceed the calories, as long as you arnt puttin on more than a lb or two a week. No harm. But make sure you are puttin on weight or increase the calories. Simple.

Bigfoot833 listed some great food ideas. Others inc. Nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, all meats, eggs, milk and obviosuly a big help are protein shakes.

Btw you say nothing intense, if you dont push for that extra rep every set, you will never get to where you want.

Good luck hope that helps

Eat everything and than more. Not so hard.