T Nation

Need to Overturn my Diet

Hello, all

I’ve grown a bit tired of my diet and I feel that I’m not making enough progress with the foods that I am eating.

I’m 23 years old, 6’0, 175 lbs. I was 180 lbs at the end of last summer but atrophied a fair share over the autumn since I became overtly concerned with graduate studies and somewhat neglected my diet and rest. I’m looking to eventually get up to 185-190 lbs. I’m an ectomorph and prone to losing rather than gaining weight when I am inactive or when I neglect an aspect of my training and diet.

Here’s what I currently eat on training days:

Upon Rising:
5 g BCAA
1000 mg Vitamin C

Breakfast: (7:30)
Black Coffee
1 Cup Rolled Oats
20 g worth protein from natural protein powder
1/3 cup each blueberries and cranberries
1 T flax oil

Post-Workout: (10:00)
50 g protein (ON 100% Whey)
50 g carbs from grape juice
5 g BCAA
5 g Creatine Monohydrate

Lunch: (12:30)
1 Can tuna
1 Cup Broccoli
Baby carrots
Grape Tomatoes
1/2 avocado
Spelt or kamut bread

Snack: (3:30)
3/4 cup Rolled Oats
Scoop of ON 100% whey
1/2 T flax oil
Fish oil capsules

Dinner: (6:30)
8-10 oz lean meat or lean ground meat
1 T Olive oil
Lots of fibrous vegetables

Final Snack: (9:30)
1 cup Cottage Cheese
1 T Olive Oil
Fish oil caps

I’m a bit concerned with the starches in my diet. As I mentioned, I’m an ecto, so I can handle some higher carb intake, but I’m uncertain if I’m going anywhere with the food I’m taking in at the moment. Should I have more fruit in my diet? Perhaps replace the 3:30 meal with a protein shake and a couple of bananas?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

• Ken

Maybe try putting more carbs during the workout as well?

If you’re not gaining, just try and eat more. Add a piece of fruit to every meal. Eat a spoonful of natural peanut butter with each meal. You could also look at changing up your training for a bit.

Just started a new programme along the lines of Thib’s guide for Ectomorphs (i.e., high intensity rest-pause/drop sets, low volume). And the PB is a no-go for me because of a peanut allergy.

I can easily add more grape juice to my PWO shake, though; good advice. I’d like to replace the starches at lunch with fruit, I’m just not sure how well that’d mix with oil and balsamic vinegar. :wink: