T Nation

Need To Lose 100 LBS

Ok, so not as bad as it seems. But I need to get below 220 and stay there permanently. I’m currently 304 with 22% bf. I need ideas on how to lose mass quantities weight, I dont care if its fat or muscle; but I absolutely need to get below 220 and stay there.

I want to get a job as a filght RN/medic and the companies around here won’t even consider you if youre outside the max weight which is 220lbs.

do a search for the velocity diet. It has seemed to work for many people in your same stituation.

Also stay away from isolation work and concentrate on big movements to help build muscle mass and let your body do the work. also eat more frequently just smarter and possibly smaller.

Check out JB’s precision nutrition, there is a lot of free information on there now, also if you join up it is a great support group and vault of information. If really want this for long term, it is definently worth the small cost.

well if you don’t care about fat or muscle, then do what the above said, and tons of cardio. just make sure you are burning a lot of calories, basically.

[quote]cajunzj wrote:
do a search for the velocity diet. It has seemed to work for many people in your same stituation.

Also stay away from isolation work and concentrate on big movements to help build muscle mass and let your body do the work. also eat more frequently just smarter and possibly smaller.

Check out JB’s precision nutrition, there is a lot of free information on there now, also if you join up it is a great support group and vault of information. If really want this for long term, it is definently worth the small cost.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but the guy said he was 300+lbs at ONLY 22% body fat…and you think he needs to concentrate on “big movements to build more muscle mass” and you believe that isolation exercises do NOT do this? Why is the V-Diet now being handed out like a prescription to EVERYONE who logs in? To lose 100 pounds? Please.

To the OP, if you truly are only 22% body fat at that weight, that means you are carrying more muscle mass (around
237lbs of lean body mass) than most competing high level bodybuilders. It will take near starvation for several months to lose that much muscle and fat to get you to a goal total body weight of under 220lbs.

That is about the only way to lose that much muscle mass AND fat. It is also not that healthy a process. With that in mind, how do you know your body fat percentage is 22% and where was it tested? How long have you been lifting? How old are you?

While it can be done, this will not be a very pleasant experience and you are talking about doing some damage to your overall metabolic rate in the process making it easier to gain fat later.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
well if you don’t care about fat or muscle, then do what the above said, and tons of cardio. just make sure you are burning a lot of calories, basically.[/quote]

Are those of you who seem to be focused on his weight alone even noticing HOW FUCKING MUSCULAR THIS GUY WOULD HAVE TO BE? The V-Diet? WTF?

[quote]Rnstudent wrote:
Ok, so not as bad as it seems. But I need to get below 220 and stay there permanently. I’m currently 304 with 22% bf. I need ideas on how to lose mass quantities weight, I dont care if its fat or muscle; but I absolutely need to get below 220 and stay there.

I want to get a job as a filght RN/medic and the companies around here won’t even consider you if youre outside the max weight which is 220lbs.[/quote]

22% at 304lbs? What exactly did you do to get there?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
well if you don’t care about fat or muscle, then do what the above said, and tons of cardio. just make sure you are burning a lot of calories, basically.

Are those of you who seem to be focused on his weight alone even noticing HOW FUCKING MUSCULAR THIS GUY WOULD HAVE TO BE? The V-Diet? WTF?[/quote]

obviously he has the fat percentage off professor, the amount of muscle he would have to have would just be unrealistic for someone who doesn’t appear to have any knowledge about working out.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

Are those of you who seem to be focused on his weight alone even noticing HOW FUCKING MUSCULAR THIS GUY WOULD HAVE TO BE? The V-Diet? WTF?

obviously he has the fat percentage off professor, the amount of muscle he would have to have would just be unrealistic for someone who doesn’t appear to have any knowledge about working out.[/quote]

Guy, that is already understood. That is why you ask more questions…instead of handing out random recommendations of which the V-Diet seems to be the most popular right now.

Someone of the stats he mentioned would look like an off season bodybuilder in clothes. He would have to do the exact opposite of what was recommended to him.

I’m 28 and I’ve had my bf tested various means(hydrostatic, Bio Imped, calipers). I may have a good amount of lbm but my fat is still around 80 pounds which is pathetic.

Anyways, to the other poster who mentioned I have little or no training knowledge, I actually started in the S&C profession and was a volunteer for a few athletic depts as a sports performance coach.

That being said I always competed and trained as a heavy weight in wrestling, judo and what I briefly did powerlifting. So while I have above average training knowledge, I’ve never been in a position where I’ve even considered cutting weight.

I know my knowledge and its limitations, which is why I’m seeking the advice of those who know more about this situation then me.

That One Guy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

obviously he has the fat percentage off professor, the amount of muscle he would have to have would just be unrealistic for someone who doesn’t appear to have any knowledge about working out.

Guy, that is already understood. That is why you ask more questions…instead of handing out random recommendations of which the V-Diet seems to be the most popular right now.

Someone of the stats he mentioned would look like an off season bodybuilder in clothes. He would have to do the exact opposite of what was recommended to him.[/quote]

which recommendation…mine or the other guy…? For the record of anyone else entering the thread, i didn’t recommend the v-diet, wouldn’t that fuck up his metabolism to incredibly low levels?

doesn’t sound to good for losing so much weight…maybe if your trying to lose those last few pounds…

hmm… doable but it’s a process that will take time, unless you do it the worst way possible… then it’ll have a lot more negative affects if you demand expediency.

either way sounds like you’ll have to sacrifice some muscle along the way ~

A combination of long distance duration cardio 5-7 days a week of 2 miles gradually increasing to 4 miles a day. Along with a 20-45 minute high intensity workout for more burn/jumproping.

Along with a 20-35% cut in total calories from maintenance would induce you to lose that in possibly 6-12 months. I really wouldn’t be able to give you anything solid unless I saw how you trained, ate, rested. I figure more then likely this would take 9-12 months if I am to be reasonable. Tho I’ve lost roughly 65-70 lbs of bodyfat in 6 months myself and that’s only with 20-30 minutes hiit for cardio 3-4 times a week if I have the energy with it but running at a serious calorie deficit.

It’s not easy and more then likely you’ll have to face the fact that you’re going to lose quite a lot of muscle with only 22% bodyfat.

That’s just my journeyman opinion. Take that with some salt and some tough profx love.

[quote]Rnstudent wrote:

That is about the only way to lose that much muscle mass AND fat. It is also not that healthy a process. With that in mind, how do you know your body fat percentage is 22% and where was it tested? How long have you been lifting? How old are you?

I’m 28 and I’ve had my bf tested various means(hydrostatic, Bio Imped, calipers). I may have a good amount of lbm but my fat is still around 80 pounds which is pathetic.

Anyways, to the other poster who mentioned I have little or no training knowledge, I actually started in the S&C profession and was a volunteer for a few athletic depts as a sports performance coach.

That being said I always competed and trained as a heavy weight in wrestling, judo and what I briefly did powerlifting. So while I have above average training knowledge, I’ve never been in a position where I’ve even considered cutting weight.

I know my knowledge and its limitations, which is why I’m seeking the advice of those who know more about this situation then me.[/quote]

Then, like written already, this is going to result in a great deal of muscle lost which means every recommendation for most bodybuilders to retain muscle when dieting is what you would need AVOID to lose it.

That would include a caloric deficit, large amounts of cardio and an actual DECREASE in protein intake. I am wondering why someone as far out from that goal as you are is about to make such a huge life change physically (this isn’t like dieting for a contest, you will now have to make many changes including weight training).

I hope you reach your goal, but I also wonder if you are truly ready for what you are about to do and what you will have to do to maintain that in the future.

For what it’s worth, I can add a little personal experience. After my last season of college football, I decided I was going to shed off as much extra weight as possible. I had gotten big for football and didn’t need to look like a nose guard anymore.

Basically, I had all the time I wanted to train since it was my last semester of college and I wasn’t working. I’m sure this isn’t the case for you, but this is what I did:

5 days/week:

AM Olympic Lifting Training (I was still competing at the time)

PM Full body workout (usually minus the legs since they got hammered in the AM)

6 days/week
Minimum 30 Minutes cardio

As far as diet, I didn’t make it that complicated. I never ate carbs unless it was breakfast or just before or after a workout. Even then it was whole wheat bread or oatmeal or something. I ate all the lean protein I could get in me as well as fruits/veggies (I didn’t count them as carbs).

I lost 40 pounds in the first six weeks and eventually went from 285 to about 210 now.

I know that someone is going to jump me about how this wasn’t the smartest way to do it and how I lost way too much weight too fast. I’ve learned a lot since then and would probably do it a little different now, but the fact is, I was happy with the results and I’m happy with my current build/weight.

I hope you reach your goal, but I also wonder if you are truly ready for what you are about to do and what you will have to do to maintain that in the future.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’m doing it because I know the time frame and I really want to be a flight RN/medic. Theres no real limit on fixed wing flying, but for rotary wing its a strict 220 here. And it seems to be pretty close to whats standard. So if thats the career path I want to take, then sacrafices need to be made.

As far as the rest and maintaining it, only time will tell what I"m in for.

22% body fat at 304lbs is 67 lbs of fat and 237 LBM. Really incredible(What is your training like?)

Dropping 16% body fat is 49 lbs. Which leaves 255 lbs leaving with 6% body fat remaining for good measure and good health.

35 lbs of muscle must be shed while dropping 49 lbs of fat to reach 220 lbs.

I can’t even begin to fathom how you will accomplish this in a reasonable time, and that seems like a major life decision.

You “won’t even be considered” if you are above 220 lbs; that doesn’t seem all that reasonable.

Velocity diet, not such a good idea.

I would suggest looking at the rational behind this very carefully before making any real decisions.

Also, when was the last time that you had your body fat checked.

304 pounds and only 22% bodyfat is hard to picture but I will assume this as correct.

I believe you should get in direct contact with the business/es in question and talk with the physiological assessors.

I see can foresee no reasons why you should not have to drop to 220 pounds.

A bodyfat percentage between 10-15 should be satisfactory for most occupations.

Long Live The Body Science

[quote]Physical_Culture wrote:
304 pounds and only 22% bodyfat is hard to picture but I will assume this as correct.

I believe you should get in direct contact with the business/es in question and talk with the physiological assessors.

I see can foresee no reasons why you should not have to drop to 220 pounds.

A bodyfat percentage between 10-15 should be satisfactory for most occupations.

Long Live The Body Science[/quote]

Flight Nurse implies FLYING…which implies a flying machine…which implies the weight of the usual cargo is a factor in what missions can be accomplished.

It makes sense for there to be a weight limit for that job. It doesn’t always make sense that someone who has geared their life towards carrying that much muscle and spent the years to build it would be able to suddenly switch gears for the rest of their life when they are that far from the weight limit.

It means he basically spent several years working hard for something only to erase it. If that is his goal in life, I hope he reaches it, however. It just won’t be easy at all and hopefully he understands that.

For most people, their usual activities, hobbies and goals are what defines them.

How much time do you have?

Well here is what to expect :

It’s a double edged blade because your gonna work harder but be calorie deficient which means you’ll have to work through fatigue and exhaustion at times. I recommend you do have carbs in the morning and or consider purchasing HRX - so you can maintain some lean body mass and it also will pick you up.

Beyond that Spike will give you energy boosts and help you focus.

Beyond that post workout Surge + Power Drive to help you recover so you can keep at it day in and day out.

Just expect that it’ll be a battle of willpower as you’ll hunger mighty hard. So stick to complex carbs, try to drink lots of water throughout the day, not 1 gallon in one sitting. spread it out :slight_smile: hydrate every 20-30 minutes it’ll help you feel less hungry and more full.

Hmm I guess this is pretty simple stuff that you probably know but I hope maybe this helps. Good luck. Oh and initially you’ll experience a large amount of fat-loss but it’ll get harder overtime as you lose more muscle, your energy depletes overtime, and fatigue sets in. You may find that it may take 1-2 weeks before you will start being able not to desire certain foods or feeding yourself properly or longer.

So it’s a you vs you issue and a lot of it will be mental o.O

I do recommend a cheat-day of healthy food once a week, eat all the healthy food you can ( haha sounds odd telling someone to pour on the healthy food instead of pizza burgers ) Grab a shitload of chicken breast vegetables fruits and just guzzle it down.

The only other supplement I would recommend is Flameout.

Also you’ll definately want to get your sleep in, because you’ll definately need more of it with what you plan to do/are doing…

Good luck! Oh and take pics so you can show your kids what you looked like before, if this is a long term deal then you probably won’t get to that size again! Memories are good.

Every time I see this topic I mentally twitch, someone asking to lose 100lbs promotes this involuntary shudder in my brain. That is a monumental task.