Need To Gain, Trouble Eating A Lot

You are probably assuming this is a typical “help I can’t put on muscle” thread. Which would get the reply, you need to eat more.

This much I know, but I have the issue of not being able to eat more. I eat, alot, but then start feeling full, sick and bloated. I find it difficult to maintain a 4000 calorie diet for more then 3-4 days.

My diet includes 100grams supplemental protein. Beans, spinach and rolled oats daily. Flax seed oil and fish oil. Lots of milk, and eggs. I’m not vegetarian but meats kind of expensive, so its not daily.

Is there any advice out there for this problem? Supplements that will help, foods that are good for bulking that don’t cause bloating ect.

Or should I do 3-5 days on 2-3 days off?

Ground beef, cans of tuna, and big bags of frozen chicken tenderloins or packs of legs and thighs are hardly expensive. You don’t have to get steaks to eat meat.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
foods that are good for bulking that don’t cause bloating[/quote]

Nuts

Your bulking where are the carbs easily digested carbs will be your friend tio get in you add the k/kals and get out to make room for more.

Phill

My diet includes 100grams supplemental protein. Beans, spinach and rolled oats daily. Flax seed oil and fish oil. Lots of milk, and eggs. I’m not vegetarian but meats kind of expensive, so its not daily.
[/quote]

Rolled oats? For someone complaining that they can’t get enough food in, why does your food intake look like that of someone dieting?

This much I know, but I have the issue of not being able to eat more. I eat, alot, but then start feeling full, sick and bloated. I find it difficult to maintain a 4000 calorie diet for more then 3-4 days.

[/quote]

I think i’d be ready to barf and kill myself too if i was trying to get 4000 calories in eating things like beans, spinach, rolled oats, milk and eggs.

As someone pointed out…meat is not expensive.
You’re just not trying (thinking) hard enough to make it work financially. How much is a can of tuna? Come on…

Where are the sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, breads, fruits? Olive oil?
Start incorporating one or two of those items in each meal and you’ll get to 4000 calories before dinner. Or at least pretty damn fast.

Thanks for the feedback, sometimes the most obvious things are that which we miss.

Tuna=$0.50 a can. Well since I made the ultimate DIETING diet.

Can’t do nuts, same problem as before.

Def. need to add rice, not sure why I wasn’t eating any. What about potatoes? they are cheap $3.00/10 lbs, I am thinking two a day with olive oil.

So maybe 1-2 cans of tuna, 1-2 potatoes, 1-2 cups of rice, 1-2 pieces of fruit, cut back on the milk, and just eat the rest of the stuff?

Or are any of those just not a good idea for bulking?
Rolled oats got a lot of flack, but I love them. Are they that worthless?

Thanks for the feedback, sometimes the most obvious things are that which we miss.

Tuna=$0.50 a can. Well since I made the ultimate DIETING diet.

Can’t do nuts, same problem as before.

Def. need to add rice, not sure why I wasn’t eating any. What about potatoes? they are cheap $3.00/10 lbs, I am thinking two a day with olive oil.

So maybe 1-2 cans of tuna, 1-2 potatoes, 1-2 cups of rice, 1-2 pieces of fruit, cut back on the milk, and just eat the rest of the stuff?

Rolled oats got a lot of flack, but I love them. Are they that worthless?[/quote]

Yes sounds good except for dropping the milk keep it and no rolled oats are good but if you have a problem packing in food then maybe not the best choice they stick around for a while. They are a great choice for a complex carb. Hell You might think of having the pre bed nice slow digesting carb pre bed and many find it helps them sleep.

Phill

I think you’ve been getting some good advice here. I’m currently trying to gain weight myself, and I’ve learned enough through trial and error before to know that it just won’t happen if I eat a typical “bodybuilder diet” (which is really just a bodybuilder’s contest preparation diet).

No wonder you get bloated if you stuff yourself with semi-undigestible complex carbs! If I eat like that, I’ll be farting like every 2 minutes. While, on the other hand, nothing makes my stomach/intestines feel as good as some good old-fashioned greasy man-food.

Scrambled eggs, bacon, white bread, butter… these foods are also very calorie-dense, which may be a bad thing for the average sedentary person but which is a good thing for people like us who struggle to put on weight!

I do eat oatmeal though, but I have plenty of maple syrup and organic butter on it.

White rice is your friend, too. Personally, I like pork chops as a protein/fat source, and they’re dirt cheap, at least here in Norway.

Caloric density, amigo. If you’re trying to gain, why eat a bunch of broccoli and tuna when you can eat some fucking pizza? You’re eating a lot of good food, but it’s the kind of stuff that leaves you feeling full before you can get the calories you need. When you’re trying to gain life doesn’t have to be about skinless chicken breast and flavored water.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Caloric density, amigo. If you’re trying to gain, why eat a bunch of broccoli and tuna when you can eat some fucking pizza? You’re eating a lot of good food, but it’s the kind of stuff that leaves you feeling full before you can get the calories you need. When you’re trying to gain life doesn’t have to be about skinless chicken breast and flavored water. [/quote]

Agreed. Nuts are great for calorie density. Why not nuts? And shit if I was bulking I would eat pizza every night, you know with healthier toppings.

Also- put a tablespoon of olive oil in your protein shakes. That will add in quick healthy calories and you’ll never even notice it.

Phill or Prof X,

So you are saying simple, easy digestable carbs are needed when bulking? Just to make sure I am clear, are you saying foods like white rice/bread/pasta over wheat? I already eat lots of potatoes, etc. but I just want to make sure I am understanding you properly…thanks!

[quote]Hawk Diesel wrote:
Phill or Prof X,

So you are saying simple, easy digestable carbs are needed when bulking? Just to make sure I am clear, are you saying foods like white rice/bread/pasta over wheat? I already eat lots of potatoes, etc. but I just want to make sure I am understanding you properly…thanks!

[/quote]

I am saying that people with fast metabolisms who claim they have trouble gaining shouldn’t be focusing on foods that most bodybuilders would only eat when getting contest ready.

You base how you eat on your results. That is why some people can get away with eating foods that others can’t. Why would you avoid white rice? Why would avoid wheat? I am honestly asking because I don’t understand how you are thinking about this. What foods do you really think you can’t eat and why? Why have you come to those conclusions?

Do you really need for someone to make a specific list of foods you can eat? If a Pop Tart was on that list, would you only eat Pop Tarts? If we say that white rice is good, will you only eat white rice?

What I don’t understand is why anyone…at all…would limit their thinking of how to make gains to such a constricted view of food.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hawk Diesel wrote:
Phill or Prof X,

I am saying that people with fast metabolisms who claim they have trouble gaining shouldn’t be focusing on foods that most bodybuilders would only eat when getting contest ready.

You base how you eat on your results. That is why some people can get away with eating foods that others can’t. Why would you avoid white rice? Why would avoid wheat? I am honestly asking because I don’t understand how you are thinking about this. What foods do you really think you can’t eat and why? Why have you come to those conclusions?

Do you really need for someone to make a specific list of foods you can eat? If a Pop Tart was on that list, would you only eat Pop Tarts? If we say that white rice is good, will you only eat white rice?

What I don’t understand is why anyone…at all…would limit their thinking of how to make gains to such a constricted view of food. [/quote]

Yhea pretty much LOL

what Im saying is ANY FOOD!!! you need to get the job done progress to your goals. The only food I would avid anytime would be transfats and personally HFCS.

There are NO evil foods just ones that are bad for individual’s goals at times

Phill

Or are any of those just not a good idea for bulking? Rolled oats got a lot of flack, but I love them. Are they that worthless?[/quote]

Hey Hunter.
I’m not really a big fan of the “free-for-all” method of bulking where you eat anything and everything you want, however some like it…so to each is own.

But anyway, as a simplification:
Eat 6+ meals a day.

Every meal you have should have a large protein source: chicken, fish, lean beef, eggs, protein shake.

Every meal should have a piece of fruit.

Every meal should have one of the following: White potato, sweet potato, 2-3 cups rice, 2-3 cups pasta, 1-2 cups oatmeal, 2-4 slices whole bread.

Every meal should have a healthy fat: Olive oil, nuts, avocado, nut butters.

Milk: Have as much as you want throughout the day.

But most importantly: MONITOR YOUR PROGRESS.
Make a specific plan, eating specific things and measure your progress every 2 weeks.
Weight, strength, clothes, mirror.

Rolled oats got a lot of flack, but I love them. Are they that worthless?[/quote]

Oats are good for fiber, which you need when bulking just as much as any other time. The problem is that just about everything you were eating has a lot of fiber, which slows digestion a bit as has been said.

The short answer is eat a lot of food that digests quickly and/or has a ton of calories, eat some food that has a good amount of fiber and you should be good to go.

Hey Phil I’m behind on my acronyms and a little tired right now, what a HFCS?

BTW, it’s nice to see you’ve calmed down a little bit Prof X. Good advice all around here as usual.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:

BTW, it’s nice to see you’ve calmed down a little bit Prof X. Good advice all around here as usual. [/quote]

High Fructose Corn Syrup

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
WideGuy wrote:

BTW, it’s nice to see you’ve calmed down a little bit Prof X. Good advice all around here as usual.

High Fructose Corn Syrup[/quote]

That would be the one