Need to Count Calories?

Hey, just some background before we start. I am 5’10, 213lbs, and 20% + bf. I am not a body builder nor in turn really plan to be. I’m still trying to add some size on though, I specifically want to add some good size within the next 4 months. After that time I go back to olympic lifting and my focus is on that for the summer.

Here’s the deal, my current diet SUCKS, it was barley hitting 2000 cals, some times even below. I am currently using that “stripping down hypertrophy” program in one of the recent article in hopes of adding size. I have been trying to take in 3500 cals a day. I took in 2000 cals of whole foods and the rest from slightly over a half gallon of milk a day.

Not rly working so well, I have to drink milk every half hour but I’m worried its not getting absorbed and I know the key is, it doesnt matter what goes in but what is absorbed. I have never rly been big on counting cals since I figure its the quality what you take in, for example, 2000 cals from pizza and crap isn’t gonna be as good as a balanced, thought out 2000 cals.

The thing is, idk if I’m gonna be taken in enough to make that difference? Even if I eat clean, will it be enough to make a difference. Heres my diet so far-

Meal 1- 2 whole eggs with 1 egg white and a tbls of EV olive oil.
Snack- Almonds mixed with hazelnuts.
Snack- Whey with water.
Meal 2- school lunch or BBQ chicken with a sweet patato and fruit.
Meal 3- Post workout shake- 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup oats, whey and banana.
Meal 4- 1 can tuna, 1 tbls mayo, 1 tlbs relish and veggies.
Meal 5- BBQ chicken and veggies
Snack- 2 tbls peanut butter

The rest comes from milk, I’m even thinking of adding a sandwhich in there. I’m just worried the milk isnt getting absorbed and I want to get closer to 3000 cals with out all the milk. Any ideas?

btw: up to my post workout shake I’m in school. I eat every 2 hours there and past that I take in food every hour.

Christian Thibaudeau reccomended this as a diet outline,
1.75g of protein per pound
0.75g of carbs per pound
0.5g of fat per pound (only from good fats if possible)
my total is around 3000 cals for that to, ppl have said 3000 will be to low for me but idk anymore.

I’d drop the milk and add either a ton more whole food or a weight gainer shake.

3000 calories isn’t that much… it should not be hard to hit.

Barely hitting 2000kcals and over 20% body fat. Were you only eating one huge meal a day or what?

3500kcals a day might be a bit much, especially if you are an endomorph or mesoendomorph. Where is your maintenance level at for calories. I fear that you may put on more fat than you want.

Are you playing football or something? What are your goals exactly, is gaining unneeded fat acceptable, or are you competing in Olympic lifting, if you are you may want to drop some of the fat and drop some weight classes.

Ease up on the milk a bit, half gallon is a bit much. Tell me it is like 1%, please.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Barely hitting 2000kcals and over 20% body fat. Were you only eating one huge meal a day or what?

3500kcals a day might be a bit much, especially if you are an endomorph or mesoendomorph. Where is your maintenance level at for calories. I fear that you may put on more fat than you want.

Are you playing football or something? What are your goals exactly, is gaining unneeded fat acceptable, or are you competing in Olympic lifting, if you are you may want to drop some of the fat and drop some weight classes.

Ease up on the milk a bit, half gallon is a bit much. Tell me it is like 1%, please.[/quote]

My maintaining was like below 2000, it sucked, its also since all I did was go to school, then workout, then get home at 5 and nothing. I wasn’t rly active. I dont care about the fat or gaining more. My main goal right now is hypertrophy for the next 4 months, after that Its all about the olympic lifting, so strength. The milk is 2%.