Need to be Pointed in the Right Direction

Bench = 154lbs
Squat = 176lbs
Deadlift = 200lbs.
at 4500 calories per day??? no way.

Can you post a sample of what you eat on a given day. If you’re training properly,or even vaguely properly these numbers should be WAY higher, even if your diet is shit, it’s hard to not be getting at least SOME basic nutrients with 4500 calories per day

Ok a sample of what I eat:

Breakfast = Oats with non-skimmed milk or a bowl of pasta with tofu or like today rice and chicken.
1 hour later = 20g whey protein
1 hour later = 30g whey protein
Workout
5 minutes after workout = footlong subway with double meat, walk home and grill 2 lambsteaks and 1 chicken breast
2 hours later = 20g whey protein
Dinner = 4 chicken breasts with a can of baked beans,
1 hour later = 20g whey protein,
20 minutes before bed = 1 lambsteak and 1 chicken breast…

I really do eat that much but bear in mind I have only started eating this much recently taking suggestions from you guys a few months ago, I have seen reasonable gains but my lifts arn’t increasing.

i know someone named singh.

take less shake and more real food.

take fruits with your meal to gain mass.

Fruits for mass? how does that work? I never really tried that, I dont really give a shit about gaining a little fat I just wanna be huge. And yeah LiveFromThe781 Singh is the middle name for all Sikh people lol so you probably know ALOT of them.

You almost have no carbs in your diet. You’ll need for energy when trainning. If you don’t, you will burn muscle.

That is true actually during my workouts I feel a quick burst of energy for say my first 4 exercises but after that I cant even move lol what do you think about mass-gaining shakes? Still not equal to food? But isn’t a calorie a calorie, I heard that here on T-Nation.

Ok, let me help a fellow “african”

Throw in a scoop of whey protein here BEFORE you toss all the rest of this down yer hatch.

This only serves to waste a scoop of whey for you. its a fast digesting protein so take it with a glass of milk OR a cup of cottage cheese, 4 tablespoons of flaxseeds (or 10g of fish oil)

May or may not do anything for you. Take a serving of Power Drive or a red bull sugar-free with some BCAAs instead.

Or even stick with the whey protein but throw in a banana if you take it half an hour before lifting.

What is this “workout” exactly?

NO NO NO

Throw in 2 scoops of whey and matodextrin (or dextrose) and a banana/orange (or surge…whatever) IMMEDIATELY after lifting.

THEN you can add your subway foorlong and everything else.

Taking whey as a stand alone that far from your lifting session is USELESS. Throw in some cheese or metabloic drive and flax seeds and some vegetables in addition.

Ok…take 10g of fish oil with this meal.

I repeat, taking whey protein BY ITSELF is useless.

Not too bad, this meal. Add some fish oil and you’re good to go.

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
That is true actually during my workouts I feel a quick burst of energy for say my first 4 exercises but after that I cant even move lol what do you think about mass-gaining shakes? Still not equal to food? But isn’t a calorie a calorie, I heard that here on T-Nation.[/quote]

without seeing your workout its hard to comment. but if you have lots of energy for 4 exercises then drop off, why not just go all out in 4 exercises and end the workout? that seems like enough work for a beginner, anyway.

I’ve learned this the hard way myself. quality over quantity - of course, quantity has a quality all its own, doesnt it lol.

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:
Singhbuilder wrote:
That is true actually during my workouts I feel a quick burst of energy for say my first 4 exercises but after that I cant even move lol what do you think about mass-gaining shakes? Still not equal to food? But isn’t a calorie a calorie, I heard that here on T-Nation.

without seeing your workout its hard to comment. but if you have lots of energy for 4 exercises then drop off, why not just go all out in 4 exercises and end the workout? that seems like enough work for a beginner, anyway.

I’ve learned this the hard way myself. quality over quantity - of course, quantity has a quality all its own, doesnt it lol.

[/quote]

the point is that he needs more pre workout carbs

nah just 1. indians are cool though. it seems theyre either the really smart ones or the fuck school and screw around ones. i had this hilarious group of indian kids in my Bio class last semester.

Try hitting her.

Well yesterday’s session went like this,
Chest:
80kg flat bench press 8 reps 3 sets,
60kg smith machine incline press 8 reps 2 sets and 1 set of incline dumbell press 26kg dumbells 8 reps.

Back:
Bent-over barbell row 10 reps 3 sets,
Lat-pulldowns 8 reps 3 sets,
pullups 3 sets to failure.

As far as rating your physique,I gave you a 1.
No offence,but seriously,you don’t even look like you’ve been in a gym or near a dumbell.
You just look like your average meaty guy who maybe has a manual,semi-active job in a warehouse shifting boxes or something.
If you walked into my gym I would assume you are a total beginner,i.e. less than a month of training.

wtf 4 chicken breasts and a can of beans for dinner ?

Thats an ass load of chicken.

Singh,
Your diet is all over the place.
It’s becoming something of a T-Nation motto,especially on Rate My Physique-

EAT SOME FOOD!!

Your philosophy-‘A calorie is a calorie’ is oversimplifying it.

tribunaldude has started you off with some great advice.Take it.

As others have said,if your sample diet is anything to go by,you are making some classic mistakes,I’ll expand on them a little-

1)YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH
Does this sample really add up to 4500 calories? you sure about those numbers,or is it a guesstimate? Just off the top of my head It doesn’t seem to add up to me,but then I don’t know the weight and amounts you’re eating.

2)YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH OF THE RIGHT STUFF
Assuming your total numbers are right,you seem to be taking in a lot of protein,but not enough carbs and good fats-get some fish oil or tinned fish in there-some tuna,some oily,like mackerel,salmon,sardines.Get some eggs in there-WHOLE eggs.Get some more carbs and fibre in there from whole grains-Wholewheat crackers,Quinoa,rice,Beans,Bran Flakes,Granary bread.For fucks sake,get some varied fruit and veg in there!

3)YOU ARE NOT COMBINING FOODS PROPERLY
Whey Protein on its own is no good,you need slow digesting proteins too-Cottage cheese,milk,Instant milk protein,Calcium Casienate (AKA Casien) also whole foods (meats,eggs,etc.) If a whey shake is all thats going or convenient,taking some carbs and fat with it will slow its digestion.

4)YOUR TIMING IS ALL OFF
The idea is you want to maintain levels of protein.amino acids,muscle repair,and nitrogen throughout the day,not just a big wallop of protein that you burp and piss away.The optimum time for your whey with some fast digesting carbs (i.e. a banana and apple,or dextrose) is just before and/or after a workout. You can have some Casein/milk protein,cottage cheese before bed or stick with the whole foods.Drop your random whey shakes throughout the day.

The most you need is one on the morning,one before a workout,one after,maybe two scoops with the post workout drink.You get your main meal 60/90 mins after your workout has finished-MAKE IT A MEAL!! This means a big ol’ plate of veg,fibre,healthy fats and carbs(i.e. steak and eggs/salmon steak with salad or veg with a large baked potato and beans) The clock is ticking.

READ MORE!!
You have been on T-Nation since April? read some articles and use the search function.

I get you g star, eggs are out for me as Im allergic to them but my whey shakes I drink, I drink them with milk not water? Also sometimes I throw in 2 chocolate icecreams into the shake to bump up the calories. All of the foods I eat, I eat in big quantity, my overall calories if I say so honestly is around 4000 give or take a few, Ive only been eating big for around 2 weeks and my lifts and strength have sky-rocketed, is this because of food?

But ok g star I will incorporate more fish into my diet, you live in England just like me, so you must know Seven Sea’s cod liver oil “one-a-day”, how many of them do your recommened taking in a day?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
nah just 1. indians are cool though. it seems theyre either the really smart ones or the fuck school and screw around ones. i had this hilarious group of indian kids in my Bio class last semester.[/quote]

Yeah those indians sure are crazy

Hi guys,

Bench = 154lbs
Squat = 176lbs
Deadlift = 200lbs.
I am 17 years old, take in around 4500 calories, 7 months ago I was a fat sod so considering the change, I believe I have progressed quite abit. Just looking for advice on what to improve on, add weight? lose fat? etc etc.

All honest advice welcome!
P.S sorry about the white bits in the pics, I tried to cut out the unnessassary stuff![/quote]

Since I posted this thread, my numbers have changed,
Squat now = 220lbs
Bench now = 176lbs
New deadlift not known yet, but yeah in the space of around a week these are my numbers now, I have no explanation?

I get you g star, eggs are out for me as Im allergic to them but my whey shakes I drink, I drink them with milk not water? Also sometimes I throw in 2 chocolate icecreams into the shake to bump up the calories.

All of the foods I eat, I eat in big quantity, my overall calories if I say so honestly is around 4000 give or take a few, Ive only been eating big for around 2 weeks and my lifts and strength have sky-rocketed, is this because of food?

But ok g star I will incorporate more fish into my diet, you live in England just like me, so you must know Seven Sea’s cod liver oil “one-a-day”, how many of them do your recommened taking in a day?[/quote]

If you are not eating enough,then yes,your strength,recovery and growth will suffer,but also remember the other factors I mentioned.

If eggs are out,you need more HEALTHY fat sources,I’m just a little concerned about the chocolate ice creams-thats just junk,its frozen cream! also the lamb and subway ‘double meat’? what meat is this?

When you say Lamb steaks,are these processed frozen burger type steaks,or cutlets? What sort of stats are we talking about with regards to Saturated fat? Red meat is good when looking to bulk up,but I would personally recommend against lamb more than a couple of times a week,as it tends to be very fatty,beef is good and there are some leaner cuts available.

The importance of fish oil or fatty fish is so you get some good fats in there-omega 3/6/9 oils and DHA/EPA have been shown to have a positive effect on body composition and help promote recovery,another great source is flaxseed.

Also important for bulking up is monounsaturated fat,also shown to contribute to muscle growth-best sources are sunflower oil,olive oil,rapeseed oil,nut oil,peanut butter,most nuts and avocadoes.

If all this is still unclear,you really need to do some reading up on good fats and bad fats-not all oils and fats are created the same.

Crash course-monounsaturated fat very important.polyunsaturated fat,omega 3/6/9 both good.

Saturated fat OK in moderation,try to keep this at not much more than 15g a day,I suspect you are well over this.

Yeah, Seven Seas is a reliable brand,but there are cheaper ones just as good,some are better than others-

Biotest sells one on this website-‘Flameout’ which has a good ratio of healthy fats.look online-please keep in mind that they sell it as a ‘one a day’ formula with the average person in mind looking to improve health.

If you are training heavy regularly and looking to bulk up,you should have at least 2 or 3 a day,if you are struggling to get other healthy fat sources then you may want 2 or 3 with each meal.