Need Tips on Alcohol

I like to save my cheat meals for those days when I get together with friends for drinks.

Are some kinds of alcohol “healthier” than others? If I want to minimize damage, what mixed drinks would be a good choice?

Anything you can do to buffer the negative effects of drinking? For example, do the detoxifying effects of Greens+ help?

It’s pretty much all bad, no matter what.

If you want to minimize calories while you are drinking (which puts you in a fat storing state) beer, wine, or straight liquor is the way to go. Most mixed drinks have sugary ingredients that just add to the total, the above contain very little calories on top of the alcohol because the sugars get fermented out (for the most part). Drink lots of water to flush your system, and I’ve heard that milk thistle protects your liver to some degree though I have never used it.

Yeah, I’m afraid I like the drink as well, and it’s a damn tough thing to combine with a serious diet.

I would not reccommend beer, but wine and spirits (nothing sweet tasting btw) should be ok.

Personally I’ve taken a liking to gin & soda, with some lime squeezed into it.

Also, the milk thistle is a good idea, it helps your liver cope with everything, and I personally believe one of the pitfalls of alcohol is that is stresses the liver and reduces its ability to keep your metabolism good, and since alcohol already reduces T production, I’d say having a healthy liver capable of metabolizing estrogen is very important.

I second everything Donut says…

It is good to go double fisted - a glass of water in one hand and a glass of booze in the other. You drink from both in an effort to decrease the dehydration effect.

I knew a guy who, instead of drinking water, would fight the dehydration mineral loss by picking one liquor (quality vodka) and having it with different juices throughout the night. He’d have it with orange juice, then switch to cranberry, then switch again to tomato (bloody mary) etc. In that way, he’d try to replace some of the vitamins/minerals/electrolytes he was losing in his piss.

If you want to decrease the harmful effects of the booze - spend some money on call liquor instead of well liquor - the increased distillation will decrease the non-alcohol toxins in the booze.

Best answer:
I’d do all of the above, and I’d save the drugs and booze for one night a week. You’ll save LOADS of money, your workouts/results will benefit, and the chemicals themselves will be a lot more fun; if I drink/smoke frequently, the buzz i get is much different than the buzz i get if I drink/smoke occasionally.

It isn’t just a stronger buzz due to decreased tolerance; it’s a whole different flava’.

Men drink whiskey.

Great advice so far, thanks. I’m pretty new to the world of alcohol, and from what I’ve heard people tend to like the sweeter drinks when they first start drinking. That has been the case for me, anyway. I ordered a cherry vodka sour the other day, and the bartender said it was a favorite with the 21-year old crowd.

I guess I should steer clear of those, and go for more straight alcohol but I don’t really have a taste for that yet. Hopefully in time.

I like the advice on drinking plenty of water, and will have to look into milk thistle.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.[/quote]

And stout.

A cherry vodka sour? Maybe 21 yr old girls…

Anyway, what I go with is a Whiskey and diet coke with splenda. I like the taste of Whiskey so the diet soda brings it out and the splenda kind is better than the other diet sodas.

Unfortunately, it has the bad effect of being dark liquor with coke so there are more toxins, caffeine, ect that 1) leads to terrible hangovers and 2) harder on your system. In moderation though it?s a great way to sneak it into your diet, just don’t over do it!

Another trick is any liquor mixed with water. I know many people who order Whiskey and water or vodka and water.

Bourbon and water. The drink of champions.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.[/quote]

ditto…is the nutritional information even posted on a bottle of Jack? …never bothered to look…

[quote]forlife wrote:
Great advice so far, thanks. I’m pretty new to the world of alcohol, and from what I’ve heard people tend to like the sweeter drinks when they first start drinking. That has been the case for me, anyway. I ordered a cherry vodka sour the other day, and the bartender said it was a favorite with the 21-year old crowd.

I guess I should steer clear of those, and go for more straight alcohol but I don’t really have a taste for that yet. Hopefully in time.

I like the advice on drinking plenty of water, and will have to look into milk thistle.[/quote]

Yeah, don’t sweat what you’re drinking too much. Like I said, it’s all bad for your training so if you are drinking it’s becuase you want to enjoy yourself in a social setting (hopefully not because you cry and shake if you don’t have your booze), so don’t ruin your night by gagging down stuff you can’t stand. In my experience the taste for the harder stuff came with time.

I’m a scotch and heavy beer drinker myself.

[quote]forlife wrote:
[/quote]

If you like cherry vodka sours, you’ll be fine with juice and liquor.

I prefer rum to vodka with my juice.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.

ditto…is the nutritional information even posted on a bottle of Jack? …never bothered to look…[/quote]

No, it’s not required. There is about 50 calories in a single shot of 80 proof vodka/whiskey/gin. Basically just the calories from the alcohol, carbs are trace in these products. Schnapps and the flavored shit has a ton more calories.

Another tip, always drink on a full stomach or after a meal. It’s a lot easier on your blood sugar levels and body.

[quote]chrisfoxnyc wrote:
apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.

And stout.[/quote]

Whiskey. I usually mix with Coke Zero, Diet Ginger Ale (don’t laugh, it’s good) or water.

Hijack: I could drink a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrell a day. In my opinion, that is the best tasting whiskey I’ve ever had.

I try to keep carb intake down most of the time, Bacardi and Diet Coke, no carbs, few calories. Another online site has a pretty decent variety of no carb/no calorie mixers, sour mix, martini mixes, etc. Whiskey sours, specifically Jack and that mix I mentioned are pretty good. Also, Miller Lite is pretty low in carbs and calories, like 3.2g in a can but that’s hardly beer.

I just try to plan the rare social drinking occasions with my cheat night once every 2 weeks.

[quote]Brother Chaos wrote:
chrisfoxnyc wrote:
apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.

And stout.

Whiskey. I usually mix with Coke Zero, Diet Ginger Ale (don’t laugh, it’s good) or water.

Hijack: I could drink a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrell a day. In my opinion, that is the best tasting whiskey I’ve ever had.
[/quote]

I’m a big fan of gentlemen jack!!

[quote]chrisfoxnyc wrote:
apayne wrote:
Men drink whiskey.

And stout.[/quote]

Agreed.

I stopped working out, followed the above plan for a couple months, and can tell you from experience, it will put on fat fast. Gained 30 lbs in about 2 months, all fat as well… taking 4 months to work it off again, but getting there with this sites help.

If your going to drink, try keep it to only once a week, with beer, wine, or non-sweetened hard liquors, as mentioned above.

My 2 vices that I’ve had to stop: A 22 ounce bottle of stout is about 400 Calories at most, 750 ML of Sake, my favorite drink, 1000 calories, or 40 Calories an ounce.

Remember that alchohol is absorbed much differently than fats, carbs, and protein, in the aspect that it is absorbed through more membranes, not just the digestive tract, and is called liquid fat for a reason!

Ahh,life is way to short to miss a jack daniels.

I have one every now and then on the weekends or when on vacation.

Can’t keep me away from my jack.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Ahh,life is way to short to miss a jack daniels.

I have one every now and then on the weekends or when on vacation.

Can’t keep me away from my jack.[/quote]

Haha damn what you know, we do agree on something! Must be in VA in us!

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’m pretty new to the world of alcohol
[/quote]

You should try Jager. Good stuff.