T Nation

Need Some Starting Help

Well where to start,I’m 19 I play rugby, I’m a pretty naturally strong kid, lifted very little in High School, played football, and now I’m playing rugby for my college. I just find it overwhelming as to where to start with everything. There are so many work out programs and so many supplements it makes my head spin. I’m about 5’8 and weigh around 195, I’m looking to put on some serious muscle for next year and plan to hit the gym hard and continue throughout the Fall season. I’ve done a lot of research on my own, I just haven’t heard from other people what really works and what’s a bunch of bull shit.

Right now I’m taking Whey protein shakes, I usually have 2 a day, 1 before working out and 1 after. I want to try to lose some fat and gain more muscle, what’s a good starter workout? And are there any supplements out there that can really help in aiding to how fast or how large muscle gains are? Thanks for any help.

You probably want to post this in the beginner’s forum so you don’t get flamed.

However, if you’ve not really trained before then any program will work. From the perspective of playing rugby, I had good results with doing Dan John’s One lift a day with accessory work.

Cuban, why not keep it simpler just go with starting strength

A
Squat
Bench
DL

B
Squat
Press
Row or Power clean

5 sets of 5 reps on all exercises. Rotate A and B each day you workout. You workout 3 days a week MWF or TRS. Nutrition-wise drink a shit-ton of milk
This brought my squat up from 150 to 250 pretty quickly.

(I think I am remembering it correctly)

awesome thanks guys, I’ve started a basic workout, going steady now, but when should I test my max of weights t figure out what to do for reps?

I’m doing a power circuit Monday+Friday it has power cleans, chinups, tricep dips, inclined pushups, weighted step ups and a hamstring curl to work some core abs, I’ve been taking whey shakes before and after workouts, it’s only been 2 days since does anyone have good ideas? I do an shoulder back day on tuesday,an arm and chest day wed and legs on thursday,

[quote]baileybeaver12 wrote:
I’m doing a power circuit Monday+Friday it has power cleans, chinups, tricep dips, inclined pushups, weighted step ups and a hamstring curl to work some core abs, I’ve been taking whey shakes before and after workouts, it’s only been 2 days since does anyone have good ideas? I do an shoulder back day on tuesday,an arm and chest day wed and legs on thursday, [/quote]

I’m not a fan of hamstring curls for rugby. In my experience they hinder more than they help.

Yeah I was thinking of changing it to weighted leg raises, any other suggestions?

[quote]baileybeaver12 wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of changing it to weighted leg raises, any other suggestions?[/quote]

Glute ham raises. If you don’t have a machine for it, you can just hook your ankles under the knee pads in a lat pull down.

Alright, I’m seeing some pretty good gains so far, but I’m having some problems losing the fat, any ideas, I must just be impatient too.