Need Some Serious Guidance

Without sounding like a dick, you have to want to improve at the gym more than you want to enjoy summer, your weed, etc, sounds to me like you really don’t care tbh. Sometimes you have to be a little non balanced to get shit done.

[quote]zerolimits wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What is your training like? All this talk about gaining weight, but are you giving your body the proper stimulus to actually grow?[/quote]

My training has been nothing less than sporadic the last couple months. 3-4 days per week is what Ive been doing for a couple months. This is due to my job, and also the fact that its summer and I like to get out and do some mountain biking when it’s nice. But I consistently bench squat and deadlift. I typically use the conjugate method for compound movements and incorporate volume into my accessory work[/quote]

I assumed in my prior post that your training was dialed in based on your first post. Sounds like that is not the case. You are confronting the reality that newbie gains are now a thing of the past. You’ll have to be disciplined and consistent – and you have to train HARD. Doesn’t need to be a long session, but needs to be intense, and you need to progress week to week (even if its just one more rep or a 2.5 lb increase every couple of weeks on the big lifts. Keep track of what you’re doing in the gym each week so you can ensure that you are progressing.

But if your training is “sporadic,” it won’t really matter what you’re eating. Eat right, train hard, repeat. Over and over and over.

Also, for god’s sake ditch the weed. Are you seriously worrying about the “hormonal effect” of whey protein but not of a daily pot smoking session? Look, if you like smoking pot, knock yourself out. Just don’t expect to smoke a bunch of pot and train sporadically with mediocre nutrition and still get results. That might work when you’re an 18 year old newbie, but it sure as hell won’t work now. So pick one or the other, but don’t expect to excel (if one can excel at smoking pot) at both simultaneously.

The weed thing doesn’t matter at all.

Seriously do try keeping track of your calories for a little while though and let us know where you’re typically at. And of course consistent, long term training is key.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

I wouldn’t say it doesn’t matter at all, but I do think people are blowing it out of proportion (assuming he’s not wake and bake, all day, everyday). A study came out a year or two ago that found that people that smoke herb daily tend eat less by 200-300 calories than the average person, which isn’t what you’d expect… not to say OP can’t make up for this.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

I wouldn’t say it doesn’t matter at all, but I do think people are blowing it out of proportion (assuming he’s not wake and bake, all day, everyday). A study came out a year or two ago that found that people that smoke herb daily tend eat less by 200-300 calories than the average person, which isn’t what you’d expect… not to say OP can’t make up for this.
[/quote]
Right but the problem there (for someone trying to gain weight) is that they’re not getting enough calories. If he would count his calories, that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s nothing magical in weed that makes you small and weak rofl.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Right but the problem there (for someone trying to gain weight) is that they’re not getting enough calories. If he would count his calories, that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s nothing magical in weed that makes you small and weak rofl.[/quote]

I smoke weed. Doesn’t affect my muscle building in the least

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Right but the problem there (for someone trying to gain weight) is that they’re not getting enough calories. If he would count his calories, that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s nothing magical in weed that makes you small and weak rofl.[/quote]

I smoke weed. Doesn’t affect my muscle building in the least
[/quote]

Plenty of pros national level guys and just damn big guys smoke weed a lot. They seem to do great

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Truthfully you don’t need to count calories. You need to eat more than what you do now. You don’t need to micro manage if you don’t want to. Count if you want but that isn’t needed

[quote]BWH wrote:

[quote]zerolimits wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What is your training like? All this talk about gaining weight, but are you giving your body the proper stimulus to actually grow?[/quote]

My training has been nothing less than sporadic the last couple months. 3-4 days per week is what Ive been doing for a couple months. This is due to my job, and also the fact that its summer and I like to get out and do some mountain biking when it’s nice. But I consistently bench squat and deadlift. I typically use the conjugate method for compound movements and incorporate volume into my accessory work[/quote]

I assumed in my prior post that your training was dialed in based on your first post. Sounds like that is not the case. You are confronting the reality that newbie gains are now a thing of the past. You’ll have to be disciplined and consistent – and you have to train HARD. Doesn’t need to be a long session, but needs to be intense, and you need to progress week to week (even if its just one more rep or a 2.5 lb increase every couple of weeks on the big lifts. Keep track of what you’re doing in the gym each week so you can ensure that you are progressing.

But if your training is “sporadic,” it won’t really matter what you’re eating. Eat right, train hard, repeat. Over and over and over.

Also, for god’s sake ditch the weed. Are you seriously worrying about the “hormonal effect” of whey protein but not of a daily pot smoking session? Look, if you like smoking pot, knock yourself out. Just don’t expect to smoke a bunch of pot and train sporadically with mediocre nutrition and still get results. That might work when you’re an 18 year old newbie, but it sure as hell won’t work now. So pick one or the other, but don’t expect to excel (if one can excel at smoking pot) at both simultaneously.
[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. I guess pot just isnt conducive to what I’m trying to accomplish.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Seriously do try keeping track of your calories for a little while though and let us know where you’re typically at. And of course consistent, long term training is key.[/quote]

Thank you, I agree I need to be more consistent

No, I do not wake and bake all day. lol. This is a night time activity after my responsibilities are handled. I may be a bit hard on myself about the smoking thing it may be percieved that I’m a lazy pot head. Quite the contrary.

[quote]zerolimits wrote:
No, I do not wake and bake all day. lol. This is a night time activity after my responsibilities are handled. I may be a bit hard on myself about the smoking thing it may be percieved that I’m a lazy pot head. Quite the contrary. [/quote]

Keep smoking. As long as you are not skipping training sessions because of it, it will not hinder your progress.