T Nation

Need Some Opinions, 6 Oxo?

I just turned 56 this month, been having problems with being tired a lot, no energy, low sex drive. Have been to a doctor and had my Testosterone and he said it was fine(409) the only other thing that he checked was thyroid and that was also normal. 1.3 I believe, no other numbers where given.

I want to start out lifting for some size and get rid of this fat that has seemed lately to become part of my life, as I am not of late being very active. A friend tuned be on to 6 oxo and have been on that for 2 weeks but feel nothing. Maybe I’m expecting to much. I have been on this forum before with a similar problem, but tried to figure it out on my own, no luck.

I would appreciate some input on this. Thanks in advance.

I’m personally wondering if any of the supplements, other than protein powder and fish oil, are good for much.

I’d like to hear what anyone’s experiences have been.

If you want to go the supplement route take TRIBEX with 6-oxo. That will give you results for a couple of months but I learned from my experimenting that supplements are only a short term band aid. Depending on the reference range of your T test it’s low or borderline low. Did he check free T or E2? If not I’d get a full work up before screwing around with supplements.

6 OXO is probably a waste of money and will not do what you expect, unless you expect it to waste your money. IMHO

I tried it when it first came out and was extremely unimpressed with the results. Went through two bottles. Nothing.

I would get the following: test for FT, test for E2, a new doctor (not necessarily in that order)

TRIBEX is only a better idea for younger guys (I’m generalizing here) that still have the ability to fully stimulate FSH and LH to get more Testosterone out of the testes.

6-OXO is supposed to be an AI… For some it might work, and for others not at all. On the other hand liquid adex works for all but everyone, and is WAY CHEAPER per dose too.

Free T is where the horsepower is, but knowing Total T versus Free T will give a better total idea of what’s really happening. But, w/o E2 testing and SHBG testing as well, the whole potential picture is unknown.

Without a lot more information it is hard to tell what might be going on. I am 54 and had been feeling sluggish also. I have been losing fat for about 6 weeks now and have been working on getting more sleep. Atleast 8 hours per night. This has really helped. I have not had my T checked but wonder if it is coming up. Stress can play havic also.
Just some thoughts.

What I did is told my doctor pretty much what I just wrote here. I had an appointment with him and it showed me those two results on the T and Thyroid. That’s all that was on there, seeing I have to pay for this myself, and the symptoms are there, I wondering if there is something I could take that would at least help, or try to see if helps. I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, ZMA, and the 6xo, ear fairly good(I live alone) no fast foods. So don’t know what else to do. Thanks

So, TRIBEX is useless for us older guys?

I’d wondered. REZ-V any good?

I’m not sure which supplement here is adex, but I’ll have to take a look at it.

I’m expecting that I’m eventually going to need something and am trying to learn before I need to go educate a doctor.

Thanks.

Adex (Arimidex) is a prescription drug but you can buy it in liquid form as a research chem. A lot of guys use it with their TRT. As for me I can down the whole bottle of liquidex and it does nothing. If I use the name brand Arimidex tablet .5mg runs me E2 to low. Everyone is different.

I think we literally piss most of our supplements away but hopefully they help a little as advertised. Most of the effects should be accounted for over time. Not immediatly noticed like a drug. I wish I knew more about these things.

For years I have gotten by on 6 hours of sleep a night. I hear more and more that if you want to lose weight you need more sleep and if you want to gain weight you need more sleep. I am trying but my mind seem to fight it.

Proper eating plan. I’m fifty and I take protein and fish oil sup’s. The rest is all natural. I have an abundance of energy from morning till morning!

Having said that I will also state that I have never been out of shape. My point being is that you don’t need to use a lot of sup’s. It’s the getting in shape that will give you a lot of ups and downs. It will take years for an untrained body to conpletely ajust to it’s new life.

Sometimes you have to suck it up. Grunt through the rough times and appreciate the sweet ones. Stick with it you’ll do fine. Just eat clean take protein and fish oil and never stop working out. This is for life!

Reading this was depressing as hell. Protein + fish oil + rest + grunting = energy.

((((((((((((sigh))))))))))))

[quote]streamline wrote:
Proper eating plan. I’m fifty and I take protein and fish oil sup’s. The rest is all natural. I have an abundance of energy from morning till morning!

Having said that I will also state that I have never been out of shape. My point being is that you don’t need to use a lot of sup’s. It’s the getting in shape that will give you a lot of ups and downs. It will take years for an untrained body to conpletely ajust to it’s new life.

Sometimes you have to suck it up. Grunt through the rough times and appreciate the sweet ones. Stick with it you’ll do fine. Just eat clean take protein and fish oil and never stop working out. This is for life![/quote]

I am only 29 but I am “enhanced”
I started looking into TRT and all that when I found out that I had low test and I have tried all the herbs and the store bought stuff per doc request because he was real hesitant to perscribe me testosterone,someone my age shouldnt have low test problems he said.

6oxo,I still have a bottle of it put up,did nothing for my numbers at all.
I dont have them off hand and I wont even gues at what they were but I do know with taking a trib and 6oxo my numbers stayed the same.

I was told that whatever you produce naturaly the tribulus will help you maximise that but it wont “boost” test per se.

only thing that helped was actual test.
I also take liqidex from a research chem place and only problem I have is when I take too much my knees ache.
I need to try and find the tabs and give them a try see if I notice a difference.

if I remember right you want your test levels to be high
the normal levels and the “low normal” like mine was are just not right and we still feel like crud because of it.

I know i was told its getting low but its within the normal range
I was tired all the time ,no sex drive,depressed,started gaining weight and wasnt eating

started taking test and I instantly felt new again.

[quote]Nich wrote:
I started looking into TRT and all that when I found out that I had low test and I have tried all the herbs and the store bought stuff per doc request because he was real hesitant to perscribe me testosterone,someone my age shouldnt have low test problems he said.

I dont have them off hand and I wont even gues at what they were but I do know with taking a trib and 6oxo my numbers stayed the same.

I was told that whatever you produce naturaly the tribulus will help you maximise that but it wont “boost” test per se.

I also take liqidex from a research chem place and only problem I have is when I take too much my knees ache.
I need to try and find the tabs and give them a try see if I notice a difference.

the normal levels and the “low normal” like mine was are just not right and we still feel like crud because of it.

I was tired all the time ,no sex drive,depressed,started gaining weight and wasnt eating

[/quote]

And where do you get this from? I know my doctor is not going to put me on this, so what I do I do for myself. The guy who said “suck it up”, I’ve been doing that for years and all it gets you when your body is not up to par is hurt. Also I’m not up on all the abbreviations you guys used, care to enlighten me? Thanks everyone for the feedback.

If its legal, then it probably is weak.

Find a clinic in your area. They will take you to the top of your good ranges and lower the bad. Look for one that caters to cops and firefighters.

[quote]jackdeath wrote:
Nich wrote:

And where do you get this from? I know my doctor is not going to put me on this, so what I do I do for myself. The guy who said “suck it up”, I’ve been doing that for years and all it gets you when your body is not up to par is hurt. Also I’m not up on all the abbreviations you guys used, care to enlighten me? Thanks everyone for the feedback.
[/quote]

Im 44 years old and have been lifting since my early teen’s. The only supplement that I have found that really enhances my mood and makes be feel alert without being jittery (RE: coffee) is acytl-L-Carnitine.

I buy the bulk powder from Bulk Nutrition and take 1-tablespoon in water in the AM when I wake up. I dont get tired during the day, and my moods are better - less prone to feel stress throught the day.

It also helps your body metabolize fat for fuel.

[/quote]

Pretty expensive for the average guy. There is no other way through a supplement that will help?

It’s only natural for us to believe that what works for us will work for others and sometimes that is true and sometimes it isn’t. It’s also natural to look for easy answers to complex problems and sometimes the answers turn out to be true and sometimes they don’t.

The bottom line is that you’re simply going to have to experiment on yourself and find what works for you and what doesn’t. But there is a lot of knowledge available to help you in your quest and I’m one of those guys who thinks it’s always better to know more.

Specifics - 6OXO - I’ve tried it and got no results. I’ve never known anyone to say it worked for them, but that’s just my experience.

My biggest problem with it these days is that even if you find it effective as an aromatase inhibitor (AI), there are other AIs that work better and cost less (anastrozole - aka arimidex/liquidex/adex/etc.)

Most guys do fine on the liquid version which can be legally bought over the counter from the research chemical houses, but a very small percentage find the pills do better for them, but they are prescription only and getting a prescription can be difficult. As always, you could buy off shore if necessary, but I’d definitely try the liquid version first.

See the sticky on Estradiol for the story on Aromatase Inhibitors.

Getting in Shape - always a good idea, but it can also improve your hormone profile because fat produces both estrogen and aromatase. So getting and staying lean is a good way to do the best for yourself in many ways, including hormones.

TRIBEX - aka tribulus - the mechanism by which tribulus works is debated, but most seem to believe that its testosterone boosting effect comes by mimicking luteinizing hormone (LH) which is the hormone that tells your testes to produce testosterone.

This is fine if you have secondary hypogonadism but will be utterly useless if you have primary hypogonadism. Many older guys (and some younger ones) have a bit of both, so whether or not trib gives you a boost is a crap shoot at best. I got a small boost from it but nothing like real TRT.

jackdeth - with your numbers, most doctors aren’t going to see you was a candidate for TRT, so you’re probably going to have to do everything on your own. So do what you can.

1. Get rid of the fat - no getting around this. If you’re carrying excess fat then you’re not “eating right” no matter what you think. Do whatever it takes to get rid of the fat. Period.

2. Control estrogen - at your age, there’s a decent chance that you’re becoming estrogen dominant and this COULD account for all your symptoms. Besides controlling fat, taking an aromatase inhibitor is the best way to control estrogen.

Give it a try and see how it works for you. You can get a years supply of anastrozole for under $100 and you’ll have a proven effective AI that many of us take (me included).

As always, keep reading and researching and educate yourself so that you’re not dependent on other people’s knowledge (or lack thereof).

Good luck and don’t lose hope!