T Nation

Need Some Lifting Help

This is what I currently look like. It is not so good at all.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/7955/fatlp7.jpg

I have some weight on me and it is the beginning of the summer. My plan is to work on my inner chest and abs and arms. I don’t know what type of person I am but I got that from basically doing nothing. Like I would lift once a year and thats all I got so far besides just living my life.

What can I do for my inner chest and abs if I cannot reach a gym.

I am only 17 Years old, I can drive and I do have access to a gym but my car is not always here for me. Any tips?

Don’t just work your inner chest and abs. You have a lot more to work on than that (no offense). Stick with the basics. Compounds and eat eat eat. Try one of Waterbury’s TBT for instance. What exactly are your goals, besides improving your inner chest and abs?

It seems to me that you think you’re carrying around extra weight…I hope you don’t want to lose any. Instead of defining your inner chest (which isn’t really a specific thing you need to work your whole chest for it to happen) and your abs (spot reduction is not the way to go) you should maybe work on adding some mass.

Do flat and incline bench for your chest BB or DB it doesn’t really matter. DB might develop it a bit fuller because of more stabilizers being used and for abs do some deadlifts and some decline situps.

Now you might say deadlifts don’t work abs, but…trust me the do. You might also say you don’t want to get bigger. Well, to get what you want without getting bigger you’d have to somehow trim down to like 5% body fat and magically gain some chest mass. Havn’t heard of that happening :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeaa. Well I mean. I would like to gain muscle too. Don’t get me wrong.

So what I have gotten so far is to work my whole chest. Ok, gotcha. Inclined sit ups also.

Do push ups with a wide stance or inclined help? How about dips or dipping push ups? Or Diamond push ups.

For my sit ups I was going to start off inclined and then hold some free weights after a while to help give me more resistance.

Any of this sound good? Suggestions?

[quote]minipic wrote:
Yeaa. Well I mean. I would like to gain muscle too. Don’t get me wrong.

So what I have gotten so far is to work my whole chest. Ok, gotcha. Inclined sit ups also.

Do push ups with a wide stance or inclined help? How about dips or dipping push ups? Or Diamond push ups.

For my sit ups I was going to start off inclined and then hold some free weights after a while to help give me more resistance.

Any of this sound good? Suggestions?[/quote]

For situps you gotta think of the bench in terms of your body. It’s declined :stuck_out_tongue: Anyhow you could probably start with a plate right away like 25 or 35 or whatever works. Make sure to clasp it to your chest. If you’re holding it off it gives you leverage at the top of the movement.

As for chest, yes work it all. Do incline bench, flat bench (barbell and dumbbell every once in a while) and dips are good to throw in every few workouts. Doing dips and then bringing yourself to fatigue with some bench sets is something I’ve started doing and it seems to work nicely. Make sure not to neglect the incline bench though. The clavical part of your pectoralis starts about 2/3 up from the bottom ridge and goes to your collar bone. It’s a big space that if neglected will make it look like you have saggy boobs! (a bit overdramatized but just do your incline)

You don’t have to, but you could alternate between deadlifts and decline ab work. You’ll get a good back and leg workout as well as hitting the abs. I usually don’t feel my abs the next day or anything but I don’t do any direct ab work and they’ve gotten more defined and bigger since I started deadlifting.

Why do you only want a bigger chest and more defined abs? Doing sit-ups wont get you ‘defined’ abs without a clean diet.

Plain and simple bro you need a solid program thats hits YOU all of you. Check out the beginner thread pinned above and pick any of the programs in it. Read them and Get to work. Come back with any questions

Phill

How effective are push ups really for the chest? Intensive ones… really?

If you put weight on your back or use a weight vest or something so you can keep it to low reps then they can be pretty good. But if you’re pounding out sets of 15-20 or more it’s going to be mainly endurance.