T Nation

Need Some Help, Guys

I am currently 133 with a hight of 5-10
and i cant seem to put on the weight.
I just seem to keep cutting.

I have been taking protein shakes for about 3 months and lifting 5 days a week
I had a serous gain in the beginning but it has died of since.

Problem is I know just eat more but I dont have the appetite and the time to do so. Work makes it hard to really sit down to eat when half the time I don’t even take a lunch.

I am looking for options should i maybe switch to a weight gainer instead?

thanks guys

Cut down your lifting to two or three times per week. During these workouts do only presses (bench, shoulder), rows (barbell, dumbbell), Squats and dead-lifts if you can. Don’t do a million different isolation exercises for two hours five nights a week and expect to grow if you have a fast metabolism which it sounds like you do!

AND, eat, eat, eat, make it a priority to change your habit. Adapt to your circumstances! Bake a bunch of chicken one night a week and throw some pasta in with it. Buy Grow! protein bars, drink shakes, and rest, rest, rest, when your not at work. If you have a high metabolism you have to blast the muscle and then rest and feed it the nutrients to grow!

Good luck, Elk

[quote]whit09 wrote:
I am currently 133 with a hight of 5-10
and i cant seem to put on the weight.
I just seem to keep cutting.

I have been taking protein shakes for about 3 months and lifting 5 days a week
I had a serous gain in the beginning but it has died of since.

Problem is I know just eat more but I dont have the appetite and the time to do so. Work makes it hard to really sit down to eat when half the time I don’t even take a lunch.

I am looking for options should i maybe switch to a weight gainer instead?

thanks guys[/quote]

I guess my initial questions would be; What else are you eating? Do you have a food log? I would bet a BJ from my hot-ass fiance you are not eating anywhere the amount of calories you should be eating. What is your protein / fat and carb breakdown?

What workout are you following? Are you overtraining?

Read these Articles: NOW!!

The Skinny Bastard Diet - Cy Willson
Massive Eating by JB 1 and 2 and the Reloaded version.
Hierachy of Needs by JB
JB’s articles on Grow! shakes and what to add to them - I think the articles are called “Shake it Up”. I know he has an awesome one on his homepage now.

Also, read this tread (do a search) Bulking Tips for Newbies.

lastly, you say you don’t have time to eat a lot. Well, if you don’t eat big, you will never get big. You have to get creative. Buy mixed nuts, beef jerky, cottage cheese to bring to work. Fuck, if you have to stuff your pockets with tater tots like Napoleon Dynamite did. YOU HAVE TO EAT AND EAT A LOT.

I’m telling you whit09, read all the articles on this site and you will learn.

I hope I didn’t come across as harsh, but you can grow, if you are committed to doing so.

AA

What’s your job? Assuming you work in an office:

Get some Classic Grow! and a shaker bottle for work – keep them at your desk. Bring some bagels and natural peanut butter or almond butter and put them in the fridge at work. Bring your lunch – make a big pot of chili with beef, beans and rice and bring a heapin’ serving in a tupperware-type container to heat up for lunch.

Before work:
Eat a big bowl of oatmeal with berries and a protein shake for breakfast.

Eat every 3 hours, no matter what, and figure out your Massive Eating caloric requirements and err on the high side. Get Grow! bars when they become available, or order some of those Elev8Me bars that Zeb likes (they taste good and are all natural).

Also, get some Surge and drink it while you’re working out and after – that’s some calorically dense stuff right at the time you most need it.

W/r/t appetite and eating, you can train your body to be hungry at certain times just through your patterns – see Shugart’s V-diet weblog on that. You need the opposite type of training – training yourself to eat more often.

Finally, what sort of workout are you doing? Try picking one of the many hypertropy-specific programs on here, and don’t add any other exercises or sets to it, and cut whatever cardio you’re doing in half.

thanks guys really appreciate it
i did read the mass eating article and i will read the rest
thanks again guys

should i do a full body work out?
what about the tbt by chad should i follow that?

Whit’s brother here, I have been telling him the same thing, I am trying to get him on some of Chad’s programs. The stuff he is doing is not as beneficial as it could be. For example leg extensions instead of squats. Keep in mind he does work out at home and is limited on what he can do. The food is a big part though.

I understand what you are saying Todd, but if the diet isn’t dialed in, the lifting is going to do him NO good - Complete waste. If I were him, I wouldn’t lift for a week or two and for that time period, focus on NOTHING but my diet.

Whit, one thing you should do is write down (or use Excel or Word) to PLAN your meals for a week at a time. That way, you KNOW what you have to eat and when. That way there are no excuses.

At your weight and height, I would assume you should be in the 4000-4500 Kcals a day. Also, when you plan your meals, to the right of the food write down the kcals, protein, fat and carbs of each thing you eat.
Just my 2 cent, take from it what you will…

I’m also working at home. Do hack squats instead of full squats. He can also do deadlifts. And, for the bench press, you can be he’s spotter! :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright guys I am following everything you say…
But I know I can do all of those things but I also play basketball and soccer(that means cardio which hurts) how do you get around that?
I can’t exactly just quit cardio or that will kill me for soccer season?

It’s pretty hard to bulk in season when you’re doing all that cardio-style work at practice.

However, the eating and the work outs are what you can focus on for now – obviously do whatever running you need to do for your sport, but no need to do any extra distance running.

[quote]whit09 wrote:
Alright guys I am following everything you say…
But I know I can do all of those things but I also play basketball and soccer(that means cardio which hurts) how do you get around that?
I can’t exactly just quit cardio or that will kill me for soccer season?[/quote]

You’re just going to have to eat more. I had no idea you were in soccer. Like BB said, just don’t do anymore than is needed.

If you go to JB’s site, he has a calculator on there that will help you will figuring out your kcal needs.

AA

[quote]aschy wrote:
whit09 wrote:

I guess my initial questions would be; What else are you eating? Do you have a food log? I would bet a BJ from my hot-ass fiance you are not eating anywhere the amount of calories you should be eating.
…[/quote]

Aschy, I’m game for that bet. Lemme know. (send pics, too). You’re the greatest.

Thanks,
BFG

[quote]whit09 wrote:
…half the time I don’t even take a lunch.

thanks guys[/quote]

I have a similar job; 11-12 hour days are fairly common. You need to reprioritize. With proper planning, you should be able to get sufficient loading at lunch in 10-15 minutes.

Yes, do the CW’s TBT program and do it only three times per week. Structure so you can finish within 60 - 70 minutes.

You are not going to gain much mass playing soccer, basketball and doing cardio without SIGNIFICANTLY increasing your Kcals. Find dense foods that you can continually snack on while at work and eat massively. Even with that, you will have difficulty considering your fast metabolism combined with number of calories you’re burning from your sports activity.