Need Some Feedback!

As some of you already know, my life has been hell lately, and it doesn’t seem to be letting up at the moment. It’s affecting my training, energy levels, motivation and overall sense of well being.

I don’t have the energy or desire to do some of the workouts that I’ve done in the past (most recently, I’ve done six months of CW’s stuff with good success and plenty of Renegade Training prior to that).

So, to help save time and spare the little energy, desire and motivation that I have, I’m wondering if I can get feedback on those that have or currently are using the One-Lift-A-Day program by Dan John.

If I go that route, I may do one or two lifts a day, something along the lines of the following:

Day 1: Power cleans and back squats
Day 2: Bench press and rows
Day 3: Deadlifts and power shrugs
Day 4: Chins and close-grip benches

I would do it every other day or two days on, one day off, or whatever fits into my schedule. Accessory work would be performed as I felt necessary or had the energy to perform.

Because of what is going on, I need shorter workouts that will hopefully keep me motivated and allow me to continue making gains, but I refuse to stop lifting heavy or trying to get stronger in the meantime.

And I just don’t have the energy or desire to be doing 4-6 exercises per day three-to-four-days-per week.

Thanks!

(And no, I’m not a newbie to T-Nation or training/nutrition).

Nate, I’d say go for it. All you really want to do is make sure you hang on to what you have built up.

Just make sure to hit everything frequently enough to stop any atrophy. Heck, maybe you’ll feel like tossing in some extra work now and then.

Anyway, just wanted to say don’t stress over letting up – I know it can be hard to do. There are times when it is appropriate and I’m sure you’ve got enough cortisol in your system as it is.

Hang in there!

I think you’ll find yourself pulled back into more demanding workouts when the time is right.

Doing something is better than nothing. if you did nothing you would regret the difference, this way your making a difference.

Nate,

I hope everyone recognizes you’re not a newbie! It’s always good to see posts from people who were around “back in the day.” I just had a baby, so I too was taking a step back, while wanting to do enough work to maintain. I trained evry other day, two opposing movement, in an alternating fashion.

Day 1: flat bench 8x3
Bent over row 8x3

Day 2: Power Clean 8x3
Box Squat 8x3
(Not exactly “opposing”, but I liked it)

Day3: Barbell military press 5x5
Weighted pull-ups 5x5

Beyond that, I did cardio (sprints or two-mile runs) with abs and grip work on my off days. I was never in the gym longer than 45 minutes and I maintained strength and mass. So I think you’re plan will work.